My Open Letter to the "G7" and the activity as a whole

When I saw "Open Letter" in the title, I sighed expecting something like the ones I read during the summer.

BUT, this is VERY well worded, well thought out, and right to the point without being too overly done. Totally agree with your standpoint on this! Well said! :thumbup:

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I certainly hope there are some in the G7 that have some problems with Mr. Hopkins horribly written letter. While I can sympathize with some of the concerns the G7 has, Hopkins letter sounds like it was written by a whiney teenager that gets Ds in English. I would be shocked if all the directors of the G7 signed off on this letter as it was written.

I have been mostly "silent" on DCP for a number of months now, but given what I read about "the 7" - namely the letter from George Hopkins to DCI - a few days ago, along with the recent announcement by the Glassmen it's time for my silence to turn into a resounding bull horn.

I am approaching this posting not only as a past marching member, and a former instructor, but most importantly as a father of a five year old who could possibly participate in the activity in 10-12 years. I also approach this posting as someone who personally lived through the pain of a corps deciding to fold after a few rehearsals leaving many without a place to march the for the 1979 season.

This posting in this forum is also done as a 36 year fan and supporter of the activity. I also take pride in knowing much about the history of drum and bugle corps since the 1940's, as well as the different organizations that have existed throughout the years.

Now on to my "bull horn"….

I read Mr. Hopkins January 9 "letter" (Posted on DCP under "G7 Update) to the "Membership of Drum Corp International." And as someone suggested, I read it multiple times. After the fifth reading, that's when I decided to dust off my "bull horn."

Some of you know that on and off I have been a "critic" of some of Mr. Hopkins "proposals." However I have always been supportive of the product that the Garifield Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County, The Cadets, Holy Name Cadets have put on the field through the years. So, will I be a "critic" of this latest letter / proposal? Not only will I be a critic, I'll go many steps further and go so far as to call it degrading to the activity, and also a slap in the face to an activity that has allowed Mr. Hopkins and others to earn a living!!

To say the recent turn of events -- namely the "discussion" of the future direction and long-term sustainability of Drum Corps International, and the proposed "G7" / MIM (Music In Motion) concept disappoints me is a major understatement!! To say that it -- to be blunt -- ticks me off (and I am being nice with that terminology) -- would be more accurate!!!

While I can respect the freedom of "ideas" to be discussed, what I take issue with is what appears as long standing "opinions" and "differences" not dealt with rationally over many years that are now resulting in what can be considered in a minor way to be a "coup attempt."

The "New Offer" section of Mr. Hopkins "letter" as well as the "top level priority" section, while rich in verbage, are nothing more than a "My Way of the Highway" ultimatum.

On the surface some of the "proposals" may have merit in certain people's minds, while others may just be going along for the ride hoping that the cards will "fall into place," and all involved will benefit in the end.

What many are not saying or admitting is the fact that the current and past diredtors of the "G7" (the 7) are actually the ones to be blamed for the current challenges DCI is undergoing simply because THEY have been on the Board of Directors the entire time that the challenges have either come about, or have continued to get worse!! In essence -- if some of you were my employees -- based on your "performance review" during your respective tenures on the DCI board, I would have fired you long ago!!!

So….. to "the 7 / "G7"…..

What I perceive your "concerns" to be is a combination of egos and "WIIFM's" (WIIFM = "W"hat's "I"n "I"t "F"or "M"e), coupled with your "idea" of how you think the activity's direction should go, and will do whatever you think to see it happen.

Food for thought -- Check your egos, ideas, stupid rules proposals (one from a few years back allowing saxophones in DCI comes to mind) and sit down and come up with SOLUTIONS that are real, relevant, and make sense!! Creating class warfare (G7) and fostering division among the ranks / in the activity is NOT the way to accomplish things!!!

Mr. Hopkins – while I don't know you that well, what I have observed over the past decade plus is that you have a bad case of "tunnel vision" coupled with an ax to grind!! To the rest of "the 7" corps directors, part of me thinks many of you may not be in 100% agreement with Mr. Hopkins banter, but for whatever reason are allowing him to be the sole voice representing you and your organizations. I say this because I know some of you personally, and unless I am a terrible judge of character, I highly doubt you feel as strongly as Mr. Hopkins does.

I also found a small group of words in Mr. Hopkins' letter truly amusing…. "This is not the time for politics."….. Really?? Mr. Hopkins, you've been all about the politics of the activity since about 1990, and to deny it would be a sham!!!

In closing -- as a father of a 5 year old who LOVES watching DCI DVD's (his current favorites are 1989 Cavaliers; 2005 Blue Devils; and 2007 / 2010 Bluecoats), I would like nothing better than to have him auditioning for a corps in 10 or 11 years. However if the current state of affairs / proposals / discord continues -- I will do everything in my fatherly power to discourage him from ever becoming a part of the activity! If that doesn't jerk you into the reality of the situation -- than nothing will!!

Quit "toying" with an activity that has a long and very storied and traditional history, and get on with doing the RIGHT thing by sitting down and DIALOUGING about how to fix things and come up with solutions! Solutions that will grow the activity, avoid disunity as much as possible, and DISCOURAGES class warfare!!!

I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty that they do not agree with him.

The looming question is if the other six directors/organizations - or if even one of them - disagrees with Hopkins letter (even a small portion of it), then shame on him for sending it without 100% consensus, and shame on them for not calling him on the carpet.

Then again.... Mr. Hopkins has not been the greatest at building consensus.

• Like 1

I have been mostly “silent” on DCP for a number of months now, but given what I read about “the 7” - namely the letter from George Hopkins to DCI...

The letter from Hopkins? Did I miss something? I know the letter from seven corps on that date. Is there more than one letter? Because if not, it appears to me there's more than one author. Or are you suggesting the other six were somehow coerced into signing? Kind of like how a majority voted for electronics but only one is to blame?

HH

• Like 2

I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty that they do not agree with him.

I contend that at least Three of them are in agreement. Gibbs/Hopkins wrote the original proposal, not just Hopkins, and Fiedler was the Public Relations spokesman. So that is at least a Triumbrant which are more than likely still in agreement.