My Open Letter to the "G7" and the activity as a whole

SFZFAN - I actually sent an email to the entire DCI board that encompassed what I wrote on DCP plus some addtitional thoughts (which will not be shared here).

Balsy - I like it! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Sounds more like a recognition that these other corps have hitched their wagons to Mr. Hopkins, even though every single point may not be one they agree with entirely. It is not unusual for this to be the case with any sort of coalition. Rarely would they all agree completely, but eventually decide to let one person take the lead, under the premise that somebody has to, and knowing that they tend to generally agree with that person on the major issues.

When did we develop this extraordinary mind-reading skill that you and others are referring to?

There's a letter signed by seven corps. DCP has divined somehow that it was written only by one. That it reflects the views of one. That the other six aren't in agreement - depending on whom you ask - with all or parts of it. Yet none of the six protest this usurpation of their names. None attempt in any way to distance themselves from something so distateful. None of the offended six feel the slightest necessity to correct the record.

It all seems rather incredible, doesn't it. I mean, these mind-readers are seeing the truth. Yet the truth continues to be invisible. Hard to believe, isn't it?

HH

The letter from Hopkins? Did I miss something? I know the letter from seven corps on that date. Is there more than one letter? Because if not, it appears to me there's more than one author. Or are you suggesting the other six were somehow coerced into signing? Kind of like how a majority voted for electronics but only one is to blame?

HH

Not only the majority, but electronics were passed UNANIMOUSLY, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, can we pretend that drum corps as of several/10/20 years ago was a perfect model for an ever-lasting activity? Would kids be interested in performing 1990's shows today? No. They want something new and fresh, so corps today arrange to that. But so do bands. That's why corps aren't doing too well (especially smaller corps). So you either have the big boys (G7) with huge try-out numbers, or the little guys who can only live year-to-year. Has anyone talked to kids these days? Are any of them psyched to go try out for a corps like the Pacific Crest? Or The Academy? So now you have 20 corps or so who have no shot at a Top 8 or 10 placement versus 7-9 behemoths. So you get waning interest in participating if you're not good enough to make the top 7-9, and you have the other 20 or so corps produce shows that are trying to be at the top 8-10 level, which makes it not fun for the kids who can't perform at that level.

Corps directors and program writers need to write smarter, not harder. Write to the abilities of your kids (a little higher so they improve) and it gives them inspiration to stick around. Otherwise, it'll keep being the G7 beating down everyone else year after year because they're experienced in the more advanced techniques.

• Like 3

When did we develop this extraordinary mind-reading skill that you and others are referring to?

There's a letter signed by seven corps. DCP has divined somehow that it was written only by one. That it reflects the views of one. That the other six aren't in agreement

You're way overstating what people have said to this point. Unless the letter had been simply something like "Dear DCI Board, We request the you vote to replace yourself with a new board structure consisting of the directors of the past year's top 12 and no outsiders. Signed, the G7", it will not reflect everyone's POV 100%.

Given the length of the letter and the numerous assertions and demands contained therein, I guarantee you that no one but the author agrees 100% with all of the statements. And the author is clearly Hop. You would have a very different letter if Dave Gibbs wrote it, or Jeff Fiedler, or Dan Farrell, or David Glasgow, or Jim Coates, or Adolph DeGrauwe. And Hop and the other five directors wouldn't agree with that letter 100%.

Since the letter is just a threat, and doesn't lay out what will happen if the board does or does not adopt the proposal, there's plenty of wiggle room for everyone after the vote comes down. If it's negative and Hop wants to split (which this letter sounds like), I wouldn't assume the rest would all jump on board. Maybe they will, but it's very possible they are just signing on because they're already involved, because if the vote were to go through they'd be better off than if they tried to back out now, and because if it fails, it's very unlikely there'll be any retribution.

IOW, they are making a political calculation that the risks are low and the potential benefits are high in signing on. The world is not a list of A or B choices. Just because this letter presents a stark choice doesn't mean that everyone has to be entirely on one side or the other, even the signatories.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

That may have been implied but it's putting pressure on DCI to figure out why the are upset and manage them in the best way. I don't think any of the G7 want to do anything that will limit the number of corps. DCI has no problem doing that on their own...

IMO, number of corps in the lower ranks isn't on their radar. Getting a bigger chunk of control and the revenue is.....

Getting rid of Open Class would not mean getting rid of the corps. It means they would compete in a different division.

Did you read the entire 2010 PowerPoint presentation? You may have to revise your statement.

• Like 4

Has anyone talked to kids these days? Are any of them psyched to go try out for a corps like the Pacific Crest? Or The Academy? So now you have 20 corps or so who have no shot at a Top 8 or 10 placement versus 7-9 behemoths. So you get waning interest in participating if you're not good enough to make the top 7-9, and you have the other 20 or so corps produce shows that are trying to be at the top 8-10 level, which makes it not fun for the kids who can't perform at that level.

Answering your question above: yes.

And I don't mean "yes, after they got cut somewhere else." I mean "yes", period.

Tell the thousands of kids who have marched multiple seasons over the last 20 years with the "not behemoth" corps that they didn't have fun. Go ahead. I'm sure they hated every minute of it.

Edited to be more specific: yes, I have talked to a large number of kids these days who were totally psyched to try out for corps other than the "behemoths". And not just Troop, either. So lets just remember that there are kids having a blast at every level, which is why it's important to have DCI serving a much broader corps base than 3, 6, 7, or 12.

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 1