New DCI Board of Directors elected

Check out 2009: Madison Scouts don't crack any of the spots, and all slots are filled with "the 7." Coincidently (probably not), Madison Scouts also failed to make Finals in 2009: meaning success breads popularity. Oddly enough, IMO, Troopers also didn't crack the Top 5 most downloaded in their return to Finals. They were pretty popular that season, but I guess their fans didn't pay to download their show as much as "the 7" fans?

Top 5 Audio Performance Downloads

(2009 Performances)

1. Carolina Crown

The Grass is Always Greener

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

Ballet for Martha

3. Blue Devils

4. The Cadets

West Side Story '09: Conflict and Resolution

5. Phantom Regiment

The Red Violin

Top 5 Audio Performance Downloads

(Legacy 1972-2008)

1. 2008 Phantom Regiment

Spartacus

2. 2008 Blue Devils

Constantly Risking Absurdity

3. 2007 Carolina Crown

Triple Crown

4. 2003 Phantom Regiment

Harmonic Journey

5. 2007 Phantom Regiment

On Air

Top 5 Video Performance Downloads

(1974-2008)

1. 2008 Phantom Regiment

Spartacus

2. 2008 Blue Devils

Constantly Risking Absurdity

3. 2007 Carolina Crown

Triple Crown

4. 2003 Phantom Regiment

Harmonic Journey

5. 2007 Phantom Regiment

On Air

As you mention, the most probable reason why Madison was not a top 2009 downlaoaded corps is that they did not make finals that year. As far as Legacy Downloads, I don't recall when downloads first became available, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that some of the classic Madison shows were among the most popular. Also, while the most downloaded corps is probably a good indicator of a corps popularity, it may not be an indicator of ticket sales. I've never taken a survey, I but I'd bet only 10% of people who attend shows, even TOC soon to be MIM shows, download shows and music or purchase DVD/Blueray discs and CD's. Indy and Big, Live and Loud crowds are probably more likely to download and purchase, but I'd think it may be no more than 25% of those who attend. Perhaps there are stats that will disprove all of my theories, but my guess is that I'm not that far off the mark.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

As you mention, the most probable reason why Madison was not a top 2009 downlaoaded corps is that they did not make finals that year. As far as Legacy Downloads, I don't recall when downloads first became available, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that some of the classic Madison shows were among the most popular. Also, while the most downloaded corps is probably a good indicator of a corps popularity, it may not be an indicator of ticket sales. I've never taken a survey, I but I'd bet only 10% of people who attend shows, even TOC soon to be MIM shows, download shows and music or purchase DVD/Blueray discs and CD's. Indy and Big, Live and Loud crowds are probably more likely to download and purchase, but I'd think it may be no more than 25% of those who attend. Perhaps there are stats that will disprove all of my theories, but my guess is that I'm not that far off the mark.

That could all very well be. There are not stats I can find predating download trends pre-2008. And you're right: there are no stats that show which corps attracts the most amount of fans to shows, or which corps most affect fans to purchase DVD's, Fan network, or anything else.

But we do know that the only quantifiable stats that we have available to determine popularity, or "TOP ACT" status are the individual corps downloads in the previous five years DCI has supplied. Going by that, obviously "the 7" is pretty overwhelmingly more popular than every one corps. One could argue that analyzing competitive success as well as the only sat we have regarding sales popularity, "the 7" are definitively the 'TOP ACTS' of DCI.

• Like 1

But we do know that the only quantifiable stats that we have available to determine popularity, or "TOP ACT" status are the individual corps downloads in the previous five years DCI has supplied. Going by that, obviously "the 7" is pretty overwhelmingly more popular than every one corps. One could argue that analyzing competitive success as well as the only sat we have regarding sales popularity, "the 7" are definitively the 'TOP ACTS' of DCI.

So the 7 get more downloads, they get paid more per show, they have their own series of shows, they get more in revenue sharing, they get a cut of these downloads, they sell more merch, and they get more in donations. And yet, they are asking for more.

• Like 8

So the 7 get more downloads, they get paid more per show, they have their own series of shows, they get more in revenue sharing, they get a cut of these downloads, they sell more merch, and they get more in donations. And yet, they are asking for more.

That's always been my whole problem with the whole thing....

Eeww... no matter which side of this little debate you're on, that was g-o-o-d.

Touche, monsieur Skywhopper.

Thrust and parry, perc2100

That's always been my whole problem with the whole thing....

Eeww... no matter which side of this little debate you're on, that was g-o-o-d.

Well any corps can:

• get more downloads. Write and perform a program fans want to listen to !
  • get paid more per show. Write and perform a program judges score higher!
  • have their own series of shows. Make the proposal !
  • get more in revenue sharing. Finish higher!
  • get a cut of the downloads. No further action required.
  • sell more merchandise. Offer merchandise fans want to buy while having a program fans enjoy!
  • get more in donations. Go out and get them!

So it seems these 'advantages' are within the grasp of each individual corps !

All that being said, this is an objection that has no tidy reply. While I might agree in principle that corps who invest more in making DCI successful should also see more returns, I haven't seen any evidence that this investment is taking place (unless you somehow can tie placement to investment). You'd have to demonstrate empirically the financial success of a show is tied directly to the presence of X number of top competitors. I know the lineup at a show directly influences whether *I* consider the show "worth attending" but that's purely anecdotal. Some TEP have made posts that seem to contradict this theory. DCI itself charges more for higher-placing corps than lower-placing corps. Is that evidence that the higher placing corps are more valuable to the show?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2