Great Performers Of All Time

Due to the nature of the beast, you aren't going to find much in the way of percussionists with long, extended features. And even guards don't tend to feature one person so much that we begin identifying with them...with rare exceptions such as Crown's Herbert from a handful of years ago. Typically, when guard members have been featured, it's been more as a characterization than for pure guard work.

Herbert in Crown's 2011 Rach Star was amazing. Such power, precision, and character projection of rifle/guard work. He commanded attention during the show. Truly great!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Every time a topic like this pops up I immediately think of the lead sop from North Star. Jerry Noonan is his name and my God what chops! Check out the 1979 North Star performance. One of the best ever.

I think it was either 78 or 79 when he played a latin sounding solo (sorry, I don't know the name of the piece) when it sounded like he'd lost the final note but he pushed it through with amazing power.

I think it was either 78 or 79 when he played a latin sounding solo (sorry, I don't know the name of the piece) when it sounded like he'd lost the final note but he pushed it through with amazing power.

They played the same tune in both 78 and 79. 79 was his better performance IMO.

Here's the 1978 Solo:

For the better solo from 1979 check out North Star 1979 on the Fan Network - around 6:44 into the show. Incredible.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

It was a Latin sounding piece with a very Latin titile: "Ole"

These are from Prelims -- the night of Finals their show absolutely electrified the crowd:

• Like 1

Going back to the early '70s in Northern California - there were so many great performers who did some amazing things with those sewer pipe horns!

Bonnie Ott - Commodores

Mel Canales - SCV (Chava solo)

Wayne Downey - SCV (Matchmaker)

Tim Jackson: tenor player for the Blue Devils, early-mid 2000s.

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

It was a Latin sounding piece with a very Latin titile: "Ole"

In 79 Maynard Ferguson was one of the commentators on the telecast (Rondo's 1st year) and Noonan aimed the bugle right at him and let loose.

Right after North Star was when Rondo gave Maynard the sop to try, and the crowd turned around waiting for him to let loose with a 3-octave rip.

• Like 1

Going back to the early '70s in Northern California - there were so many great performers who did some amazing things with those sewer pipe horns!

Bonnie Ott - Commodores

Mel Canales - SCV (Chava solo)

Wayne Downey - SCV (Matchmaker)

I agree. Bonnie Ott, BD, Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor, Mellophone, 1976.

• Like 1

Barb Maroney, Garfield early 80's.

Rob Carson, SCV

Robbie Robinson, Crossmen

Greg Blum.

Big Al, Freelancers

Hunter Moss, Spirit

Morgan Larson, Madison

Scott Dean, BD

Jenni Osterheld, PR

Since this is labeled Performers, I will add as DM's who I thought were great performers,

Daniel Veerhusen, Madison

Al Go, BD

Dave Flynn, Cavaliers