Carolina Crown

2007 was my first real year as a parent/fan/supporter of DCI, initially with BAC then BD. I remember so vividly, finals in Pasadena and "Triple Crown".....still today one of my (and my wife's) top 3 favorite DCI shows. I resolved then that CC had the ability and maybe even the given skill set and license (like no other) to use humor in story telling themes. It just seemed to fit with them, like we (the fans) were giving them, alone, permission to be light-hearted, powerful and nuanced and still bring the house down. And of course they won the Disney Award and have been fan favorites since. So...............what's fabulous about them? As in all things in the winner circle...it's the design stupid! Yes, they have a powerful, world class brass section that continues to swap the Ott with BD, they have guard and percussion sections that can waiver from year to year but are always competitive and (my most important characteristic)....a consistent / long-term staff & design team....it matters! But they have carved out a design niche where FUN can be the featured theme and still compete for the top spot. Unfortunately, certain sections' performances have not always risen to the occasion commensurate with the winning design....but it will happen...and soon!

Nice response.

It's possible we've been had again by an OP who lights the fuse then runs.

Watching Carolina Crown makes the hair stand up on my arms. What more explanation do you need for why they're awesome?

• Like 3

That is a great point. We all have individual taste in what we like.

I've loved Crown since their "Jekyll and Hyde" show in 1999...I think that is the first year I saw them live. They have been pretty much near the top of my favorite list every year since...

...except for Finis and their Mythology (yipes!) years. :smile:/>

Individual tastes indeed! "Finis" may be my favorite Crown show--so fun!

• Like 3

I like Crown because they are uniquely themselves. Felt that way since Bellisimo.

I also enjoy their willingness -- eagerness even -- to just "go for it".

Amazing performers being amazing -- Crown never disappoints me :-)

To tie into that, I really appreciate how Crown isn't afraid to vary their styles from year to year. For example, the differences between their 2011 production vs their 2012 production likely couldn't be more varied: rock music vs Copland?! Not only were the styles super different, they were executed well and at the very least designed competently (if not great)

• Like 2

To tie into that, I really appreciate how Crown isn't afraid to vary their styles from year to year. For example, the differences between their 2011 production vs their 2012 production likely couldn't be more varied: rock music vs Copland?! Not only were the styles super different, they were executed well and at the very least designed competently (if not great)

Agreed. I can think of only two corps that have had any real success doing that, and both are long gone (Suncoast Sound and Star of Indiana).

Compelling need? I guess you can call wanting to expand your knowledge and taste a compelling need. Usually Crown threads have so much fighting I can't pick anything constructive out of them. I figured starting a non-confrontational thread might help. My bad.

I get that you don't like Crown's shows over the years very much despite each year's shows being so completely different from one season to the next re. their shows and its many different design constructs over the years.... and I get that you so don't like Crown discussion threads because ( your words ) " have so much fighting in them ", and that you get nothing out of the Crown thread discussions because ( you words ) you " can't pick anything constructive out of them ", but if you think that your thread here requires someone to ( your words ) help " expand your knowledge ", why do you believe that your current opinion of Crown's shows needs your reeducation at all ? That I don't get. If you like something, you like it.. if you don't, you don't. Why do you believe thaat you have insufficient training and experience to form your OWN opinion, (and requiring your reeducation to " expand your knowledge " ), particularly since you told us that you've been following the Drum Corps activity since ( your words ) " five years old and have a very good grasp of Corps show design " ?

This is a bait thread. Simple as that. You know it. Most ( but not all ) others here got that right from the getgo too. You didn't start this thread in hopes of changing your opinion on the Crown Corps, its design team, or its Corps fans, at all. Thats how I see this thread and your primary motive behind it, anyway.... to" expand your knowledge " ?,... Sure, right...thats too funny for further words, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

There is a portion of Crown's 2012 show after the 7:00 mark that is just mallets. It's part of Copland's Symphony #3 and it's incredibly light and delicate.

It's such a tribute to Copland. Their show is also such a tribute to Moren.

When I listen to Crown I hear the composer. I don't hear the arranger.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 3

Brasso and I don't disagree on much, and he may turn out to be correct about the OP's intentions, but I am going to call him out a bit based on a personal recollection.

Last year, about June I think, someone here posted that Oregon Crusaders had a show that screamed "We're ready. We can do what the big boys do." I was so intrigued by this interpretation of a show I'd not seen twice prior that I went to FN and followed the posters points while watching OC perform. I was blown away with what popped out at me when I looked at the show through someone elses eyes (metaphorically speaking, of course). I learned SO much about viewing the show - a show that I loved! - after taking someone else's suggestion on HOW to watch the show; what to look for.

I think it's possible that the OP could be asking for the same thing - guidance - while I recognize that Brasso may prove right about the OP's intent.

To Crown, it was Finis that got me, and the horse race of course. And the lush brass. Their drums have never overly impressed me, but I loved knowing the personal side of their guard.

I'm a little disappointed that they can tend to look a lot like Cadets in design and execution, first because we don't need another Cadets and, second, because I think Crown can establish their own Zig without parroting Hop and Gino.

I'm reminded of a lesson I learned long ago: "Don't worry about learning to be humble, you're not that smart." Others' opinions of a corps, a show, the activity always surprise me, and I think I'm better at watching shows for having heard them.

IMO, and in my circumstance, anyway.

It's possible we've been had again by an OP who lights the fuse then runs.

Watching Carolina Crown makes the hair stand up on my arms. What more explanation do you need for why they're awesome?

On the contrary. I am reading and what I get out of all of this has been eye opening. Perhaps some of you are correct in saying that I will never be a Crown fan. But it was nice to see it from a fan's perspective. But what I hear from all of you is mainly about their brass and me being a visual person (hence the SPINmetosleep) I guess I will just never get it. I thank you all for your time and for those of you who were not quick to jump down a persons throat when they ask questions.

• Like 1