A Hunch; A Question

Stu

The obvious answer would be that they are indeed sanctioned shows...

Unless things have recently changed they are not DCI sanctioned shows; different format; different judging; different ticket outlet; all different.

Edited by Stu

No. Most fans don't care who hosts a show or why. They care about two things (not counting ancillary issues like ticket cost): City/venue, and what corps are in the show. That's it. None of the rest really matters.

I agree. For fun I asked a few of my HS students...

Absolutely. Venue and lineup. And ticket price/availability.

So I take it from your responses that, as it applies to the 'general drum corps fan', you believe it does not matter that these non-DCI MiM shows are being falsely represented by DCI as being DCI shows; and that the only thing which really matters is corps lineup, venue, and pricing. The logical inference to be drawn from your responses is that DCI itself does not matter to the general drum corps fan.

Oy.

Drum corps matters to the average drum corps fan. The rest is noise, which they'd prefer not to have. Think maybe we can cut down the noise and enjoy the drum corps?

HH

So, better to stay in tranquil ignorance than engage in harsh reality? That is exactly what the G7 desire!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Drum Corps Planet. Now with even more tinfoil hat.

• Like 3

DCI, per se, does not actually perform on the field.

The corps members do. And regardless of the sponsor, people go to see shows with their high school students for several reasons:

1. To expose their students to a higher standard of performance

2. To show their students what is possible after school

3. To raise standards in their own performances

4. To share the joy of music/marching/colorguard

5. Because many directors have past experience as drum corps performers, and want to share that experience.

6. Because many directors inherit programs that have "nowhere to go but up" and want to excite the students.

7. Because they are asking their students to pay attention with a critical ear/eye to higher level performances.

8. Because they are teaching their students to be active in support of the arts.

I'm sure there are more reasons to attend with high school students -- but you get the picture.

The adults involved care about the politics.

The non-"7" would do well to come out prepared, raise their standards, and understand that the idea of "amateur" performance is far less sustainable than it was when we were a neighborhood and community hobby/activity. The "7" would do well to extend a hand to allow the entire activity to move forward rather than small segments of the activity. This was a wake-up call for all sides... and while it was presented rather petulantly at times, there is a very real concern about the viability of our beloved drum corps pass time that needs addressing.

But... back to the kids: Drum corps is a spectacle that comes to their town maybe once a summer, and is nothing more and nothing less than that to non-participants. We who tour, perform, attend more than one show a year, create, teach, judge, administrate and give a portion of our lives to drum corps should not be shocked that our audience is far more casual in their fandom.

Bottom line: Great Performances are Great Performances -- whether it's STOMP, Broadway, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Mumford & Sons, Lady Gaga, or any of a thousand other opportunities to see/hear/witness great performances -- the sponsor does not matter. The performance level, the ability to completely engage their fands, and the unique and thrilling experience matter. Those who perform at the highest levels will draw fans. Those who perform at lesser levels will struggle.

I support a unified drum corps activity -- but I'd be less-than-honest with myself if I didn't acknowledge that the "7" do have certain legitimate concerns, and that the "Non 7" have certain hurdles to overcome as they come to terms with the reality of the performance/competitive/financial climate of 2013.

Back to writing -- thank you for your time.

Chuck

• Like 5

To be honest, I'm versed in the MiM/DCI stuff up to my eyeballs - and I *still* pick the shows I want to go to based only on ticket price and lineup.

Mike

I think most people do as well, Mike.

The politics can be left outside the stadium of all these shows. I go to some of the shows because I know the sponsor of the show utilizes a portion of the gate receipt proceeds for worthwhile causes, apart from the lineup too. But the lineup is important too for me, as it is for others, I'm sure.

I also can spend my money at souvie booths of Corps that I believe I want to support with my dollars.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

To be honest, I'm versed in the MiM/DCI stuff up to my eyeballs - and I *still* pick the shows I want to go to based only on ticket price and lineup.

Mike

really I do too, mainly because the closest MIM show is twice the distance to a regional where I get all 20/21? WC corps