A Hunch; A Question

Stu

It's all a conspiracy I tell you!!!!

Drum corps has another 5 years and done! LOL

Drum corps died in 1971. I've seen the t-shirts.

I've been told it wouldn't be around in "x" number of years ever since the early 1980s. And I expect I'll be hearing that in 20 years.

• Like 1

They "locked up" shows because the sponsors knew which corps would provide them with the best opportunity to be successful.

And of course they counted them, as they were DCI shows. Funny that way...for DCI to count DCI shows as part of their 'stats'.

yes, they crowed about how attendance was up.

For the shows it's more difficult because we dont know the revenue of TOC shows compared to a regular 7 corps event. But in terms of show/music downloads from the DCI site the G7 corps are responsible for the most downloads. I guess technically we don't know the spread of the downloads/revenue. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that if people are paying more often for G7 downloads that that preference carries into the shows.

So you do not know either. How disappointing.

Everyone blames DCI....just like everyone blames Obama!

I am sure, as long as there is enough money, that drum corps will continue. As time goes on and the economy continues to sink, I think that there will be less corps in the activity and that may lead to its demise. Will show sponsors continue running shows? I don't know. Time will tell!

Drum corps died in 1971. I've seen the t-shirts.

I've been told it wouldn't be around in "x" number of years ever since the early 1980s. And I expect I'll be hearing that in 20 years.

The sum total of what's paid to all the other corps, divided among the seven, wouldn't amount to a single year's expense for any one other them.

But looking at your own 990s thread, several of those 7 corps have budgets in the $900k to $1m range. Are you saying that DCI doesn't distribute at least that much to the other 14 or 15 World Class corps every year? Not arguing, but that doesn't seem likely, since all of them show performance fees well in advance of $70/80k.

Slightly moving to a side spur, what amount of their overall revenue would seem reasonable for DCI to be passing on to their member corps? Right now it seems to be about 20-25% of their gross dollars, but given that their primary function, as an organization, is collecting revenues in a central location and passing them out to their members, isn't that a little on the low side? Is there a formula in place that guides their business decisions?

For example, if DCI had, as part of their structure, a rule that they had to return forty cents on every dollar made directly to their member corps, it would make every business decision they made all about maintaining that type of efficiency. Do they have such a rule in place now? if not, then why not?

Edited by Slingerland

For example, if DCI had, as part of their structure, a rule that they had to return forty cents on every dollar made directly to their member corps, it would make every business decision they made all about maintaining that type of efficiency.

I would never advise a company what percentage of incoming revenue should be distributed to its members unless I know beforehand their total financial picture.

How did you come up with your suggested rule that DCI" return forthy cents on every dollar made directly to member corps " suggested revenue return model that allegedly would " make their every business decision " somehow improved " efficiency " ?

Where did you come up with your "40 cents on the dollar" figure ?

Edited by BRASSO

So you do not know either. How disappointing.

He is making an educated guess with some basis in fact to back it up. Charlie1223 uses as part of his theory the tie-in of the corps shows people download to their popularity and ties it to show attendance. You may think that this connection he is using is not valid, that is fine...but he is not just grabbing numbers from mid-air. Why don't you provide your own hypothesis, and not just make a snarky comment about his.

• Like 1

I would never advise a company what percentage of incoming revenue should be distributed to its members unless I know beforehand their total financial picture.

How did you come up with your suggested rule that DCI" return forthy cents on every dollar made directly to member corps " suggested revenue return model that allegedly would " make their every business decision " somehow improved " efficiency " ?

Where did you come up with your "40 cents on the dollar" figure?

Wow Brasso, where did he state anything close to that?

He was providing an example, as noted by the word "if" in his statement. The rest of his statement was the 'then' portion of that 'if' statement. If X, then Y. It was a hypothetical example.

For example, if DCI had, as part of their structure, a rule that they had to return forty cents on every dollar made directly to their member corps, it would make every business decision they made all about maintaining that type of efficiency.

• Like 1

Slightly moving to a side spur, what amount of their overall revenue would seem reasonable for DCI to be passing on to their member corps? Right now it seems to be about 20-25% of their gross dollars, but given that their primary function, as an organization, is collecting revenues in a central location and passing them out to their members, isn't that a little on the low side? Is there a formula in place that guides their business decisions?

I thought their primary function was to run shows, not make money for corps.

UPDATE: It appears DCI might already be returning 40% of revenue to the corps.

Edited by cixelsyd