TOC/G7 Related Discussion

How is more kids with zero money the solution? "I'm buying these expensive tickets for a marching band show???" That is a problem.

Honestly... cutting prices would help a great deal. But while cutting those prices you need to get that revenue somewhere else. Where? Sponsorships... GREAT! Who the hell is going to sponsor DCI and/or it's member corps? Have people tried? I honestly don't know. I know Fred Morrison of the Crossmen is trying... he comes from the racing world.. where sponsorships is everything. Don't know if he has had much luck generating revenue this way. Saving money I'm sure it has helped. I do know the Crossmen are trying out advertising with I-texts to raise money for uniforms.

I think figuring out to get more BITS regardless of age and also how to cut costs will help things out. We do need to concentrate some on the youth.. and try to keep them in. Especially those who marched. I know we all still talk.. but those who actually still follow and spend money is very little. And with less and less corps.. that is less and less members who stay on as fans and support the activity.

There are sponsors out there.... no one has ever really approached them. They think they'll say no or don't think they can approach them, so no one has ever really tried.

There are opportunities out there. I have a few in mind. Major brands. Plan is to try to get some potential sponsors to finals this year (really tough since DCI holds finals out in the middle of ####### nowhere.... how does it make sense to have finals where there are no major media outlets, no major ad agency hubs or no major corporations???).

Finals need to get the hell out of Indiana and rotate between NYC, Atlanta, Chicago and LA. How do you expect to get major media exposure or major sponsors when you are nowhere near where they are?

Finals need to get the hell out of Indiana and rotate between NYC, Atlanta, Chicago and LA. How do you expect to get major media exposure or major sponsors when you are nowhere near where they are?

And where do you propose it go in Chicago? I've more than once laid out the reasons Soldier Field would be a negative experience...from traffic, to the prohibitive cost of labor compared to other cities, to the much larger problem with housing sites outside the city and the time it would take to get into Soldier Field (and why no corps would want to stay in Chicago itself), to the fact that Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the NFL. Chicago is just not viable.

• Like 1

As much as anything else, kids need to hear the roar of the crowd.

Yes... and bigger crowds.

There is much more money in a stadium full of kids that paid nothing to be there than a stadium of paying adults.

Oh what the heck, based upon this financial calculation, lets just increase the chances of generating more money by even more and just let everyone in free. Lets not stop with halfway measures when going all and providing shows for free to everyone no matter their age would probably double the revenues to Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

You need to lead with drumming. Drumming can actually become mainstream.

This morning you stated that it was important for DCI to follow the lead of " WGI ".

This afternoon you recommend that DCI's way forward is " to lead with drumming ".

Tonite can we get your antipated recommendation that DCI should " lead with more brass " ?.. or do we need to wait until tomorrow for that recommendation ?

Edited by BRASSO

Not flip-flopping.... you're just not connecting the dots. :-)

You're not flip flopping..... It looks like perhaps the dots are moving around too rapidly for us to connect. Can you make them stay in their spot a bit longer for us ?

Uniforms are kind of outdated. Shifting more to costuming could help some. Something more this direction...

leonid-gurevich-stylist-military-jacket.jpg

Needs to be more of a sense of style.

I like the scissors. Drum corps needs more scissors.

Uniforms are kind of outdated. Shifting more to costuming could help some. Something more this direction...

b59e409b9377ee4d73eb2e618384a701.jpg

Needs to be more of a sense of style.

Didn't that last guy die about the time Drum Corps died? :devil:

You need to lead with drumming. Drumming can actually become mainstream.

Here is part of the problem though... some truth here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghWBUBhZrw

Too many drum corps are trying to be too much the same. Are playing music that is from too narrow a source and are all moving in too similar a way. Needs to be much more variety.

This is pretty funny, and very accurate. Have you shown it to the designers of the top seven corps?

And we wonder why drum corps is perceived as a rich, white kid's activity...

• Like 2