Your first DCI experience

I enjoy posts like this because it shows how many of us come from different walks of life but come together to enjoy a common bond called Drum Corps. My first introduction to Drum Corps (no DCI back then - 1966) is a bit different. I was actually cutting school one day when I got caught crossing the street by the music teacher. He yelled at me to get back to the school side of the street and proceeded to rip into me. Told me to be back at the school that evening for what I thought was detention. I arrived at the school that evening and walked into the Band Room when I noticed all the chairs were rearranged into a semi circle. Seeing that I thought the teacher was going to have me sweep the floors. Just then some kids entering the band room with these cases at their side. I asked if they were there for detention and just at that time the music teacher entered the room and pointed at me to follow him. I did as he said and we went over to this row of closets where he started digging around. I assumed he was going to pull out a mop or a broom but instead handed me this brass baritone bugle. Told me to go over with the rest of the kids and watch what they were doing. That evening I heard a sound like no other I'd ever heard before, not with band or orchestra. There were only 18 horns there but they blew me away with the sound they were making that night. Later that evening when I was leaving with this new case at my side I got to the exit and then looked back into the band room and standing there with this "smirk" smile on this face was the music teacher - "welcome to drum corps kid!". That music teacher was Gail Royer.

Edited by amadorj
  • Like 5

My first drum corps experience (a few years before DCI) was in 1966. The Troopers were in town for "Drums On the Chippewa" in Eau Claire and were housed at a church a couple doors down the street from my house. A friend of mine was in the Eau Claire Boys and had been trying to get me to join but I was in little league and knew I couldn't do both. These kids from Casper, Wy were hanging around the neighborhood and just looked like regular kids to me (except for the cowboy boots). I went over when I heard them warming up in the church parking lot and was absolutely blow away - these cowboy kids were F'n incredible. It was that first "blown away by drum corps" moment that we all have had. I joined The Eau Claire Boys that fall and became the American Guard at 11 years old in the "A" corps because they wanted someone small (who could stay in step)so the American Flag would look that much taller. My first "Nationals" was Philly in 1969 - we took 51st out of 63 corps. My next time in Philly was in 1975 marching with the Madison Scouts. My last drum corps experience (40 years after my first) was strapping on a 32" bass drum at the age of 51 in the 2006 Scouts Alumni reunion project.

Great story about your Ithaca College digs, nice! I have been in those dorms and it is one spectacular view of the Cayuga valley, lake, Ithaca, and Cornell. I was down on the Schoelkopf field that day playing with the Purple Lancers. My most vivid memory was of the excruciating tension which we experienced as the prelims were delayed just before our performance by a cloudburst downpour. We were underneath the stands for what seemed like an eternity waiting to go on. That performance was the goal of the entire season, my last in competitive drum corps, as we made our statement that we belonged on the finals field that evening. We were successful in becoming New York's only DCI finalist in the past 41 seasons. What a great way to leave the marching shoes behind!

Cool story as well... Your fine '74 Purple Lancers Drum Corps made DCI's coveted Top 12 ( out of over 55 Corps in Prelims that year) topped the Blue Devils in the Prelims, and finished 10th in Finals, just ahead of the fine Phantom Rregiment in 11th and the Blue Stars in 12th.

This is an interesting thread. Most of us will never forget the wide eyed look of amazement we had when we first were introduced to Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1977 DCI telecast on PBS. I fell in love with The Kilts, Lancers and Regiment.

My baton corps was at a comp in Windsor in 1980 and I saw my first live drum corps, The Bandettes. I fell in love again.

My first real live DCI experience was Montreal 1981 with Gen. Putnam's Men. I fell in love with that city.

Edited by BigDale

1972 US Open in Marion, Ohio. I was hooked.

1973 US Open, Phantom on the field as the rain poured down. I remember two specific things: Watching the rain bounce off of the snare head as they played and seeing HUGE sheets of plastic that the fans in the stands were holding up over their heads. We all got completely soaked and the 2 hour bus ride home was one smelly experience.

First finals was 1974, but my string of final attendance began in 1978 and have missed only one (in CA) since then.

The only thing I've done longer than my career is drum corps.

• Like 1

Watching Finals broadcast LIVE on local KCET channel 28 in Los Angeles, in 1978.

Peter Emmons, some white woman with peroxide blonde hair, and Rondo were hosting.

Rondo congratulating SCV for winning, Pete smiling!

I was home during the summer, alone as a 14 year old, then watching 27th Lancers spin the flags, and thinking.. ."I can do that, that looks easy."

Watching North Star with the pie throwing.

1973 US Open, Phantom on the field as the rain poured down. I remember two specific things: Watching the rain bounce off of the snare head as they played and seeing HUGE sheets of plastic that the fans in the stands were holding up over their heads. We all got completely soaked and the 2 hour bus ride home was one smelly experience.

The first time I saw the Blue Devils was at the U.S. Open parade in 1973. I've been a fan of theirs ever since. Except for the "Yowza" year. :tongue:

Prelims 1972.

When we received our summer schedule in 72 we all wondered " what the hell is DCI?".

In 1973 my buddy and I drove almost 20 hours straight from Massachusetts to Finals in Whitewater. When we arrived at our motel in Janesville WI they had sold our room. The guy said "hey, you never showed up, we rented the room" (no cell phones back then). We spent the first night drinking a case of beer in a field and sleeping in the car. It was all worth it the next day particularly Kingsmen, Blue Stars, Troopers and my first time seeing Santa Clara.

• Like 1

First finals was 1974...

The only thing I've done longer than my career is drum corps.

Our stories are eerily similar :blink:/>/> although my Finals string ran from '74 to '82 then sporadically through '90...

At Marion, do you remember the driveway between the field (to the right, facing the field) and the school? During the downpour, the water was flowing down that drive as deep as the curbs...my mom had aspirin in her purse in those waxed paper single dose packets and they were dissolved...when we got back to the Holiday Inn in Delaware, OH it hadn't rained there at all and we got the strangest looks :shutup:/>/>