Major Events that Happened While in Corps

Bob Hope died...

At least twice. :tongue:

Believe it was in 65 when just about the whole Northeast and parts of Canada went black.

That one was huge.

The 1977 one was pretty much limited to New York City. And there were parts of the city that still had power... the areas that got their electricity from a different power company.

That one was huge.

The 1977 one was pretty much limited to New York City. And there were parts of the city that still had power... the areas that got their electricity from a different power company.

There was a power outage August 14 2003; days after finals. In our day we would still be going to a contest or parade till early September.

elvis 77.

We were in Denver getting ready for DCI when that happened.

I'll add: 1979 the Shah of Iran flees the country.

Early Sunday morning, August 17, 1969 and our corps bus is cruising back from Scranton to Long Island via I-84, nearing the connect with the NY Thruway at Newburg. (Note: today's more direct route had not been fully completed.)

We come to a crawl, then a dead stop. Cars are parked all along the shoulder for miles and large groups of people are wandering about.

"Who are all you guys?" we inquire out the windows. "We're coming from the show, man", is the reply. "Yeah", we shout back, "us, too". It then dawns on Jack McGuinness and the Cool Breeze that they're talking about Woodstock.

A guy yells, "What band are you?" "Who, us?", replies Jack, "We're Blood Sweat & Tears". "Holy Expletive!" screams the guy, and we all break up. "Groovy, man", says the guy's girlfriend.

(Sidebar: We played "Aquarius" that year. Groovy, man.)

we were on a drum corps tour, in Rome that day, saw it on the news

I'll never forget we were in Colorado somewhere and Zingali told us we sucked so bad at the show that we killed Elvis !!!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

Obviously in 1976 the Bicentennial celebrations were big.

We (27th) were in Disneyland for the Bicentennial and I have to say it was the BEST fireworks display I EVER saw, bar none.