Homosexuality in Drum Corps

This is a non-issue for me. I'm not homophobic. I also have nothing against vegans, religious zealots, Martians, etc. Are there gays in drum corps? Probably. Vegans in drum corps? Probably. Religious zealots in drum corps? Probably. Martians in drum corps? Well, I think I've met a few. smile.gif

• Like 4

Hmmmm.... so if it would bother someone to shower with a gay person then they would know who they wanted to stay away from.

Thanks for the info.... see edit above for my 70s perspective.

Yeah. But honestly.. I never really saw people trying to stay away...... sometimes you don't have a choice when you have every guy in the corps lined up for one shower head.

I'm sure BITD was a lot different. Society has come a long way since then (took too long IMO). Just saying today in drum corps.. you are really just happy to get a shower, because you feel quite nasty until you get one... and that's all you care about.. because you have 20 million other things to do at the same time. I'm sure it was the same back then.. but the whole showering with a homosexual just isn't high on the worry list anymore. Today's young folks have just been raised a different way. Grew up in a different time. Equal treatment for everyone is obviously still an issue, but we really don't care who our friends are. Gay/Straight/Black/White/Hispanic/Asian/Blue/Green/Orange etc. I know i don't speak for all, but I know I speak for most. Trying not to get too political so I'll stop right there.

This is a non-issue for me. I'm not homophobic. I also have nothing against vegans, religious zealots, Martians, etc. Are there gays in drum corps? Probably. Vegans in drum corps? Probably. Religious zealots in drum corps? Probably. Martians in drum corps? Well, I think I've met a few. smile.gif

We do have the Borg tongue.gif

INT has always been there no matter what someone's sexual orientation is.

Never bothered me one bit to shower with the gay guys. The girls were welcome to shower with us too but for some reason none ever took up the offer.

Occasionally some of our gay, male members would shower with the girls. No one ever complained about that either. Though I've heard that corps where similar things happened got in hot water with housing sites over the matter.

When you're sweating all day in the sun your inhibitions about showers vanish pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Yeah. But honestly.. I never really saw people trying to stay away...... sometimes you don't have a choice when you have every guy in the corps lined up for one shower head.

LOL never had to worry about that in the Sr corps world.... but then again NO shower for 36-48 hours (Fri PM rehearsal... night on bus going to show... show.... Sat night coming home on bus) might have been an incentive not to care if Freds Martians where in the shower.

I'm sure BITD was a lot different. Society has come a long way since then (took too long IMO). Just saying today in drum corps.. you are really just happy to get a shower, because you feel quite nasty until you get one... and that's all you care about.. because you have 20 million other things to do at the same time. I'm sure it was the same back then.. but the whole showering with a homosexual just isn't high on the worry list anymore. Today's young folks have just been raised a different way. Grew up in a different time. Equal treatment for everyone is obviously still an issue, but we really don't care who our friends are. Gay/Straight/Black/White/Hispanic/Asian/Blue/Green/Orange etc. I know i don't speak for all, but I know I speak for most. Trying not to get too political so I'll stop right there.

For me it's better information. BITD we really didn't know about homosexuality. And what we thought we knew was really stereotype. So the lack of information was the killer there. What helped form my current opinions/perspective is knowing some lesbian couples personally.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In before the close....

I had 2 gay brothers most of my life. While there were gays in corps, it really wasn't all that open in the early 70's. However, one of my brothers was captain of one of the most outlandish gay Carninval balls in NOLA.

When being hit on I would respond " Thanks for the compliment, but I'm straight". Funny how many would respond with " really my sister / girlfriend / cousin is here and we have the same taste in men, please come meet her"

I could care less who sees me in the shower. I could care less who's on my bus. It's all about being involved in creativity and it come in all forms.

understood Other Mike,..................but again, take the Gay componant out,..........would the girls be okay with a guy heading into their locker/shower room,.........

• Like 4

understood Other Mike,..................but again, take the Gay componant out,..........would the girls be okay with a guy heading into their locker/shower room,.........

That's his point, Gary, I think....you can't take the gay component out of your comment and make the statement....your comment kinda assumes that gay men are really people who want to be women and that gay women are really people who want to be men...and that's not true...hopefully we've graduated from that at this point. Not trying to point fingers at you at all...just challenge the premise of your question.

• Like 1

The questions about the showers come from an old fashioned, factually inaccurate and stereotypical assumption that gay people by their very nature are uncontrollable hedonists who can't control themselves when if they see another person of the same gender in anything less than a full suit of armor. Not true.

Just because you're a dude and there's a gay dude in the locker room with you doesn't mean that person wants to jump your bones! And don't flatter yourself into thinking otherwise. The person's there to do a job just like you are. Don't assume they're checking out your junk just cause they're gay. Instead, assume that the person is as professional and serious as you are and will go about his/her business just like you would.

understood,........and I am with you,...............but, like I said above,..........take the gay componant out,..........a guy wants to head into the girls locker room,......is that cool or not?

• Like 2