Homosexuality in Drum Corps

That's one reason that was given as to why heterosexual guys wouldn't want homosexual guys showering with them. You alluded that there are other reasons. I'm just asking what those other reasons are.

From the post you quoted: "..the fear of getting checked out".... which is different from getting jumped...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From the post you quoted: "..the fear of getting checked out".... which is different from getting jumped...

Maybe some FMM's from Cavies or Scouts could shed some light on the subject. No "co-ed" issue there, and at the risk of being stereotypical, I'd bet a solid sum of money there's probably one or two homosexuals in the corps in any given year.

Maybe some FMM's from Cavies or Scouts could shed some light on the subject. No "co-ed" issue there, and at the risk of being stereotypical, I'd bet a solid sum of money there's probably one or two homosexuals in the corps in any given year.

Agreed.. Wouldn't mind hearing some female thoughts on this too......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Better way than what I was trying to say (up to where I quoted)... but snipped the last few words as I do feel it matters.

Here's where my annual POSH (Prevention Of Sexual Harrassment) training comes into play. If a person feels uncomfortible with something (here naked bodies) of a sexual nature it is their right not tobe put in that position. Govt/religion be ######, it's a personal decision and this paragraph sounds like "I don't see anything wrong with it, what's your problem?".

Kind of off topic, but if we've going to discuss this on a higher level then legal definitions should be understood. And corps BoD legally has to deal with any situation that someone feels might be harrassment. Even if it turns out that there was no harrassment or the person who reported it was mistaken.

Well, I would say that it's society that really forces our insecurities about our bodies and interactions with the nude form when even in non-threatening, non-invasive, etc. situations. A person feeling uncomfortable because they are being looked at naked I would say has been indoctrinated by society... Society says "you are supposed to be shameful when naked, you are supposed to feel insecure, you should feel terrible about exposing your naked form, this is sexual harassment..." These set off alarms that I don't think are inherent to the human condition.

However, to your point of course if anyone does feel victim to Sexual Harassment in any way, subtle or not, that's a completely different situation. But I don't think that just because a nude human is next to a nude human and doing nothing else constitutes as sexual harrassment in and of itself. After-all, sexual harassment doesn't just come from a straight male to a straight female.

Corps of course need to abide by their organization and government rules in regards to harassment because they are part of this society. I wouldn't suggest a corps ever disregard legitimate sexual harassment charges because it's extremely serious.

Edited by charlie1223

Oh, every corps has a good sprinkling and not just in the "stereotypical" sections. :w00t:/>

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

But is gay/not gay (hate using 'straight') usually common knowledge in a corps?

I don't like using "gay" since I find nothing gay about their lifestyle. Don't forget to add in staff in this discussion.

• Like 2

About the past 13 years touring with a drum corps, I've never seen it be an issue once. Gay or straight, there has never been an issue. People joke around, people check each other out occasionally, people don't steer clear of other people, it's just not an issue. Maybe I'm missing it being an issue but drum corps is pretty open, very tolerant, and a wide range of people get along for the most part.

I'm amazed to still read that people would steer clear or feel threatened by someone in a drum corps shower. Wow

• Like 1

Everyone stay the hell away from me anyway

heh. Stay off my lawn!

This conversation is right out of 1960. The reality is YES, there are gay members in every single drum corps, and YES, they come from all sections. For those who haven't marched in a couple decades, I should remind you that to get a 150 member drum corps all through the showers during eat/shower/load (aka "ESL"), which includes eating, showering, dressing into half uniform, packing the entire fleet of trucks and buses, usually in 90-120 minutes, there isn't time for more than a 5-10 min shower. This is NOT a big issue for modern touring drum corps.

As for staffs, most corps have now established "best practice" guidelines which aims to have staffs shower at a separate time whenever the facilities allow.

If you ask current members, they will most likely tell you that this is absolutely not a widespread concern for them.

• Like 3