Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

I was hiking, with Joe Spivey, he developed poison ivy....you remember, Jefferey Skinner? He got ptomaine poison at the dinner.

Wait a minute...it stopped raining...guys are swimming, guys are sailing! Playing baseball, gee that's bettah...muthah, fathah kindly disregard this lettah!

tongue.gif

I have that album on vinyl, and I also have Alan Sherman's "For Swinging Livers Only" album! Talk about flashbacks to my youth!!!

:thumbup:

For those too young to know...

Alan Sherman was the Weird Al of his day, doing song parodies of all sorts of music!

As a recent age-out (2011) there was an unspoken rule about cell phones on the field, and yes some kids broke that rule just like kids break every rule. And I do understand to a point why corps like the Cavies take away cell phones. I know it's hard to believe but I really do hate it when I'm trying to talk to someone and they're too busy on their iphone's to listen to me. However, tour now isn't like tour back in the 80's or even further than that (my mother and a few uncles marched in the late 70's and 80's I know what tour was like) and it gets really hard to be around the same 150 people for 3 straight months. If I didn't have my phone to call my parents at night and vent to them I probably would have killed someone in the corps. Just sayin'.

However, tour now isn't like tour back in the 80's or even further than that (my mother and a few uncles marched in the late 70's and 80's I know what tour was like) and it gets really hard to be around the same 150 people for 3 straight months. If I didn't have my phone to call my parents at night and vent to them I probably would have killed someone in the corps. Just sayin'.

I agree; you all have air conditioned buses, we had open windows (maybe); your buses run without major problems, we had buses that broke down constantly and when they did run smoked like a bad cigar; you have mobile food kitchens with well prepared meals, we had a folding table with bologna sandwiches and warm mayo; you travel in style with 150, we had most of the 128 pushing the broken down bus; you all have cell phones and tablets, we had pay phones at some housing sites otherwise nada; and we never killed anyone because we had to talk with mommie; yep I agree that tour was way different than today.

If I didn't have my phone to call my parents at night and vent to them I probably would have killed someone in the corps. Just sayin'.

Well then, that must mean you don't have the requisite self-discipline according to Stu.

• Like 3

Well then, that must mean you don't have the requisite self-discipline according to Stu.

Well, I never had to call mommie every night to find out how to wipe my.... nose either! If kids today cannot suck it up without having to call parents and girlfriends on cell phones they need to stay home with mommie!

• Like 2

I agree; you all have air conditioned buses, we had open windows (maybe); your buses run without major problems, we had buses that broke down constantly and when they did run smoked like a bad cigar; you have mobile food kitchens with well prepared meals, we had a folding table with bologna sandwiches and warm mayo; you travel in style with 150, we had most of the 128 pushing the broken down bus; you all have cell phones and tablets, we had pay phones at some housing sites otherwise nada; and we never killed anyone because we had to talk with mommie; yep I agree that tour was way different than today.

Nice try Stu. But I paid thousands of dollars to march a corps that had no a/c on the buses that broke down every other day and we had to carpool to the housing sites. Forced to sit on our suitcases because there's no room and with a corps that had no money to feed us some days and we slept in halls that smelt like cigarettes all the time. Not all drumcorps have it as well as some Div 1's. Keep hating the younger generation, it really makes outsiders who read this want to jointhumbdown.gif

Back to the cell phone debate...don't like it don't send your kids away with them.

• Like 1

Nice try Stu. But I paid thousands of dollars to march a corps that had no a/c on the buses that broke down every other day and we had to carpool to the housing sites. Forced to sit on our suitcases because there's no room and with a corps that had no money to feed us some days and we slept in halls that smelt like cigarettes all the time.

If what you just posted is true it sounds exactly like it was in the '70s and '80s, and you therefore lied when you claimed it was, is, different for you today than it was for us then. But, we did not need to call home to mommie and complain about it, so there is the difference.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

If what you just posted is true it sounds exactly like it was in the '70s and '80s, and you therefore lied when you claimed it was, is, different for you today than it was for us then. But, we did not need to call home to mommie and complain about it, so there is the difference.

Gotta say, Stu wins on this point.

BTW, if you really need to talk to mom and dad before losing it and killing people near you.....shouldn't you be in some sort of national registry or something? Cuz if you think other people in drum corps are bad, wait until you wade in to the real world, Peanut. cool.gif

• Like 3