Rumblings from CADETLAND

But I'm also not thinking that this move will decrease gun violence in America.

It shouldn't have too either. " Gun violence " has been down the last several years in the US according to all the research data, ( except in some localized regions ) despite gun registrations way up. On the other hand you said " America ", and gun violence is up in much of South America where registered gun ownership by its citizenry is impermissable by law.

That said, I have no idea what" threats" to the public consciousness and psyche a wooden toy imitation rifle has in Drum Corps shows. Good grief, some people need to get a grip, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

It shouldn't have too either. " Gun violence " has been down the last several years in the US according to all the research data, ( except in some localized regions ) despite gun registrations way up. On the other hand you said " America ", and gun violence is up in much of South America where registered gun ownership by its citizenry is impermissable by law.

That said, I have no idea what" threats" to the public consciousness and psyche a wooden toy imitation rifle has in Drum Corps shows. Good grief, some people need to get a grip, imo.

I want this thread to stay open so do not bring up gun violence even in vague terms. You posts is really off topic probably brought up to make a political point (and in fact was)

However in regards to colorguard using weapons. If we concern ourselves with props, uniforms, flag design when communicating a theme why is it that it suddenly stops at the weapons? By default we assume sabers and rifles will be used but don't by default assume only American flags will be spun or held. Changing the weapons into more designed objects just makes sense. I mean spinning a saber in a Christmas show makes little to no sense but if they were spinning candy canes...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I want this thread to stay open so do not bring up gun violence even in vague terms. You posts is really off topic probably brought up to make a political point (and in fact was)

However in regards to colorguard using weapons. If we concern ourselves with props, uniforms, flag design when communicating a theme why is it that it suddenly stops at the weapons? By default we assume sabers and rifles will be used but don't by default assume only American flags will be spun or held. Changing the weapons into more designed objects just makes sense. I mean spinning a saber in a Christmas show makes little to no sense but if they were spinning candy canes...

I was not the one to inject the comment on this thread that a Corps Director believes that the use of a rifle and a sabre can be viewed as ( word used ) " threatening ", to show goers, nor even " gun violence in America". I merely responded to the DCP comment on these 2 things that were injected into the thread conversation in the first place. Look at the chronology on this above, and my comments were not out of order it seems to me, nor does it take a " political " position, other than perhaps an appropropriate response " social " commentary, as it was a " social commentary " made apparently by a Corps Director himself, and then poster, "chattyt" above re. his comment on " gun violence in America ". I merely replied to these things, thats all.

As for the use of props, there are LOTS of props and equipment on the field shows that require imagination on the part of show goers to understand that a Drum Corps show by its very nature requires of all of us not to take the theme, props utilized, etc in the show in a literal sense. We do this satisfactorily it seems to me when we use imitation saxophones in shows when playing a jazz piece, or utlizing imitation rock guitars ( with no guitar playing ) when we play " Paint it Black " a piece that almost requires, if its a literal interpretation, the use of rock guitars, and perhaps even vocals in the depiction. We do this when we feature humans in bird costumes, rather than using real birds, and HUNDREDS of other props, costuming, visuals, equipment utilized, etc where imagination is all that is required to make a show work in a non literal sense for Drum Corps show goers.

We just read above that a Corps Director might forgo the use of rifles and sabres this year in his Corps show. I don't know if this is true or not. If he does so because of a thematic reason, that seems understandable to me. But if the reason given is because of a perception of perceived " threats " and uncomfortableness of the use of the wooden minature rifles and the sabre, that justs seems silly to me and perhaps connotes an unneccesary concern on the part of show goers, imo. I can think of several things that might " threaten " the good sensibilities of the approx. 300,000 people expected to see these shows live this year. Things like traffic, mosquitoes, heat and humidity, parking, crying nearby infants, people on cell phones, and such. But how many of the 300,000 national show goers do you believe are going to be made uncomfortable or " threatened " ( as the word used ) by Corps with small, wooden, imitation rifles on the field ? 5 ? 10 ? if you believe that its a LOT of show goers that will suddenly feel uncomfortable and have their sensibilities " threatened" then this is an assessment of our fellow show goers that seems rather jaded to me, and I really don't share that concern of people being not being able to handle it all in stride... as they have for over half a century with essentially no problems at all with such imitation equipment displayed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

I didn't mean to inject any more politics than what was conveyed during the webinar Hop gave. It was asked what was discussed, and I gave my Reader's Digest version of what I took away from it. In talking about their decision to depart from traditional rifles and sabres, he made mention of the current climate and things that were going on in the world.

I gave my $.02 when I probably shouldn't have, but was merely commenting on Hop's comments.

And Brasso, it's "chaddyt". Not "chattyt". Don't want people to get the impression I can't shut up. :tongue:/>/>

I didn't mean to inject any more politics than what was conveyed during the webinar Hop gave. It was asked what was discussed, and I gave my Reader's Digest version of what I took away from it. In talking about their decision to depart from traditional rifles and sabres, he made mention of the current climate and things that were going on in the world.

I gave my $.02 when I probably shouldn't have, but was merely commenting on Hop's comments.

And Brasso, it's "chaddyt". Not "chattyt". Don't want people to get the impression I can't shut up. :tongue:/>/>/>/>/>

haha... sorry, chaddyt,'really did not mean to botch your name here so that it takes on an unintended consequence meaning. And I don't shoot the messenger. I hold you harmless for simply reporting what you heard. So, no harm, no foul.

Edited by BRASSO

I was not the one to inject the comment on this thread that a Corps Director believes that the use of a rifle and a sabre can be viewed as ( word used ) " threatening ", to show goers, nor even " gun violence in America". I merely responded to the DCP comment on these 2 things that were injected into the thread conversation in the first place. Look at the chronology on this above, and my comments were not out of order it seems to me, nor does it take a " political " position, other than perhaps an appropropriate response " social " commentary, as it was a " social commentary " made apparently by a Corps Director himself, and then poster, "chattyt" above re. his comment on " gun violence in America ". I merely replied to these things, thats all.

As for the use of props, there are LOTS of props and equipment on the field shows that require imagination on the part of show goers to understand that a Drum Corps show by its very nature requires of all of us not to take the theme, props utilized, etc in the show in a literal sense. We do this satisfactorily it seems to me when we use imitation saxophones in shows when playing a jazz piece, or utlizing imitation rock guitars ( with no guitar playing ) when we play " Paint it Black " a piece that almost requires, if its a literal interpretation, the use of rock guitars, and perhaps even vocals in the depiction. We do this when we feature humans in bird costumes, rather than using real birds, and HUNDREDS of other props, costuming, visuals, equipment utilized, etc where imagination is all that is required to make a show work in a non literal sense for Drum Corps show goers.

We just read above that a Corps Director might forgo the use of rifles and sabres this year in his Corps show. I don't know if this is true or not. If he does so because of a thematic reason, that seems understandable to me. But if the reason given is because of a perception of perceived " threats " and uncomfortableness of the use of the wooden minature rifles and the sabre, that justs seems silly to me and perhaps connotes an unneccesary concern on the part of show goers, imo. I can think of several things that might " threaten " the good sensibilities of the approx. 300,000 people expected to see these shows live this year. Things like traffic, mosquitoes, heat and humidity, parking, crying nearby infants, people on cell phones, and such. But how many of the 300,000 national show goers do you believe are going to be made uncomfortable or " threatened " ( as the word used ) by Corps with small, wooden, imitation rifles on the field ? 5 ? 10 ? if you believe that its a LOT of show goers that will suddenly feel uncomfortable and have their sensibilities " threatened" then this is an assessment of our fellow show goers that seems rather jaded to me, and I really don't share that concern of people being not being able to handle it all in stride... as they have for over half a century with essentially no problems at all with such imitation equipment displayed.

I am not ignorant brasso and I read in between the lines very well. Though in your original post you dance around the issue your commentary is very limited to a certain view point about the rates of gun violence in America and South America and the perceived causality or link between gun registration in the US and the laws in South America regarding gun ownership. It is simply erroneous to suggest that this alone does not imply a poltical position. It certainly does and the problem is that such complicated issues such as gun violence cannot be deduced between a random stream of facts and not take into account many other factors. So if anything I will rebuke that your short commentary is anything but encompassing or substantiated in its "implied" relationships and for that reason suggests the the underpinning of a political philosophy on the issue.

Now, in general the use of wooden weapons is largely tolerated by schools all over the country. No up tight administrator has yet to call out marching bands. But I would think that the image of guns on the field has largely been Completly numbed by general society and you can argue whether that's good or bad. While the idea that no one actually feels threatened by rifles as used by colorguard is most likely true, it's a pretty common sense policy to avoid using it in today's gun sensitive society. It may only take 1 exploitive lawyer to go after it. And if anything, being concerned for the audience's perception of their product is something everyone on DCP wants more of. Not just from an entertainment stand point. It's looking at the audience as an entity that truly matters and ANYTHING that would jeperdize the long run monetary income rom fans should be taken into account. Though the concern of feeling threatened may be seen as some as silly, it's evidence of the viewpoint that designers do want to please fans and keep them happy and the money flowing IMO.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Thank you for relating what you took away from the webinar.

Are there sketches to be seen of the towers of power, or are they still "a work in progress?"

It is interesting to sift the reactions to the image of a drillstock and a swordblade as weapon or as object d'art?

Ironically, didn't WGI actually go as so far as to ban these non-weapon substitute thingeys for their competitive purposes? Since so many of the color guard judges do both circuits, it will be interesting to see whether this new staff of Cadet guard leaders will be able to surmount the WGI biases in DCI competition. BD did hula hoops without hassles. Then again, I can imagine during "second tour" post Atlanta, weapons also returning so that the guard gets to do both "Side X Side."

Regarding a non-aggressive ending, didn't Samuel Barber end his own life by taking it? Would Cadets have to get a license permission from Regiment for that???

Edited by drilltech1

I am not ignorant brasso and I read in between the lines very well. Though in your original post you dance around the issue your commentary is very limited to a certain view point about the rates of gun violence in America and South America and the perceived causality or link between gun registration in the US and the laws in South America regarding gun ownership. It is simply erroneous to suggest that this alone does not imply a poltical position. It certainly does and the problem is that such complicated issues such as gun violence cannot be deduced between a random stream of facts and not take into account many other factors. So if anything I will rebuke that your short commentary is anything but encompassing or substantiated in its "implied" relationships and for that reason suggests the the underpinning of a political philosophy on the issue.

How do you deduce from my brief social commentary above in reply to another social commentary of what my " political philosophy" here is ? You might want to consider not taking out such a huge brush from your paint kit when you begin to paint so expansively and broadly, when a touch up paint brush might've done the trick around the small corners and edges just as well. I do not see my social commentary on " gun violence " to reveal anything of a political nature. If there is some relationship it would be incidental, and irrelevent to the comment made as the comment should stand or fall on its own merits, not someone's political leanings or beliefs in other, unrelated areas.

• Like 2