Rumblings from CADETLAND

There's enough Cadet Borg around as it is, no need to assimilate the judges too...

lol.gif

• Like 1

Looks like this story won't die.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2013/07/pa_band_directors_insults_infu.html

As someone who stayed at an Ocean Springs school.. they were very nice people, and did all they could to accommodate us... but the facilities were not up to par at all. Had one rehearsal field at the middle school I think.. mostly a sand pit covered in some blue chemical that covered our legs by the time rehearsal was over. Had to bus the guard elsewhere. Luckily we got the stadium one night. Show site didn't even have adequate parking for the corps. Crowd was always enthusiastic though.

Don't want to defend Hop.. because he could have handled it better... but it isn't the best situation down there. But then again.. it's what drum corps do.. adapt to the situation.. you make things work! FITFO! And they are very nice people who love having the corps in town.

Hop accepted my FBook request...not my LinkedIn request. :sad:/>/>

Welcome to the club. Besides word on the street at J&J is that he is saving you for that big financial position he has now advertised. He knows you are a world traveller, even without your motorsickle to guide you.:cool:/>/>

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22415&news_iv_ctrl=1002

Edited by normy diploome

Even getting housing for corps is challenging enough, any kind of housing. The most true line in the article "What an asinine post. This is something best kept behind the scenes if you're not happy with your facilities."

Call it Hoppy being Hoppy...

• Like 1

I guess Hoppy can now add "band director" to his resume! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Regarding his disdain for the South: Knocking down some crawdads, pecan pie, and some beer while sitting under the shade of a magnolia tree would do wonders for his disposition. :thumbup:/>

Actually, it wasn't so much that George posted his frustrations. Heck, that's human nature. It's the fact that he wrote that he would take the Cadets back through Arkansas in 2014 if the housing problems weren't resolved. It came across as an ultimatum though I seriously doubt that was his intention. I would imagine that this was nothing more than the stress of this season finally reaching the surface. It happens to us all. I give him credit for apologizing. It takes some serious huevos rancheros to admit when one is wrong.

Some wonder whether that diet too late at night in front of a computer is what brings about these rants and poor postings. God knows I've gotten emails from him that have made me wonder.

• Like 3

Someone mentioned in another thread that Jackie Gilley scores Cadets low, and seemed to cite a specific event several years ago. Does anybody know about this? Or otherwise why such a grudge might exist?

(we hear the "Judge X has it out for Corps Y" comments every year, so I don't know how well-founded it is)

If true than proof positive that the judge is not judging solely the performance in front of her in that contest and should be fired immediately no matter what score is given. Perfect example of incompetence.

• Like 1

Judges will most likely be band directors, educators etc and undoubtedly connected to corps , instructors of corps so difficult to not get people with alliances. I think what needs to be done is calling out the judges who are really not in line with their peers. That should be done by DCI. A judge who really has odd number assignment traits compared to others in that category, should not be allowed to judge regionals or Indy. Reserve them to local shows. I don't buy "his or her different read", I think it is a genuine dislike of a particular group or instructor, director of that group etc.

Time to replace the "leadership" of the judging activity. Moe, Larry, Curley, and Schempf have been in the same positions too long and have gotten too accustomed to their positions. Time to change up and be accountable.

• Like 1

Looks like this story won't die.

http://blog.gulflive...sults_infu.html

As someone who stayed at an Ocean Springs school.. they were very nice people, and did all they could to accommodate us... but the facilities were not up to par at all. Had one rehearsal field at the middle school I think.. mostly a sand pit covered in some blue chemical that covered our legs by the time rehearsal was over. Had to bus the guard elsewhere. Luckily we got the stadium one night. Show site didn't even have adequate parking for the corps. Crowd was always enthusiastic though.

Don't want to defend Hop.. because he could have handled it better... but it isn't the best situation down there. But then again.. it's what drum corps do.. adapt to the situation.. you make things work! FITFO! And they are very nice people who love having the corps in town.

The irony is that without the folks from Ocean Springs and Gulfport both in Mississippi back when Hopkins was still the snare tech and quasi tour director, there would be no Cadets today because these two schools sent two dozen kids to the Yankee northerern metropolis of Garfield, NJ to march in the corps when the corps could not field a full compliment. Homewood H.S. in Birmingham, Ala. also was helpful. How soon some forget.

• Like 2

what a joke. What great "reporting" on this blog:

No phone number or email for Hopkins was available through The Cadets Facebook page or website. A Facebook message was left for Hopkins by The Mississippi Press seeking comment, but by Friday morning no response had been received.

REALLY????

At the bottom of EVERY yea.org page is a "contact us" link which gives anyone LOOKING Hopkin's email, phone number and mailing address.

The bottom line is - don't shoot the messenger. Folks should be way more concerned about their educational facilities than they are about some "PA Band Directors Facebook post"

• Like 4