Rumblings from CADETLAND

and this is part of why DCI judging is getting ridiculous... the same people every year... it's political... who likes who... who likes corps A more than corps B before they even play the first note, etc.

Maybe it's time for DCI to save money and bring in LOCAL band directors or staff to judge....just for kicks... they might be more open and realistic about it than the common judges today

There are about 3-4 judges out there that are consistently in their own world with there number assignments. Not just against Cadets but in general. It's sad because it could affect a corps placement when things get tight. Kemp's guard score? Too many alliances to be judging some of these guys..and gals..

There are about 3-4 judges out there that are consistently in their own world with there number assignments. Not just against Cadets but in general. It's sad because it could affect a corps placement when things get tight. Kemp's guard score? Too many alliances to be judging some of these guys..and gals..

EXACTLY my point... maybe it's time to pull the judges off the field (sideline ok) and pull in some qualified local judges at each contest (that have no affiliation) like they do for normal band competitions

and this is part of why DCI judging is getting ridiculous... the same people every year... it's political... who likes who... who likes corps A more than corps B before they even play the first note, etc.

Maybe it's time for DCI to save money and bring in LOCAL band directors or staff to judge....just for kicks... they might be more open and realistic about it than the common judges today

I may not always agree with their numbers, but I think the judges are, for the most part, pretty solid in their critiques. At the end of the day, this entire activity is subjective. And it always will be.

Chaddyt was correct when stating judging is subjective. I will admit that I have gotten turned off by the judging system (scores). I find it strange that a corps can continually win a certain caption practically every year. Yes, they may be extremely good, but often times I feel other corps should have a higher score in this caption but somehow don't receive credit. We have to remember that there is politics in almost everything competitive.

EXACTLY my point... maybe it's time to pull the judges off the field (sideline ok) and pull in some qualified local judges at each contest (that have no affiliation) like they do for normal band competitions

Judges will most likely be band directors, educators etc and undoubtedly connected to corps , instructors of corps so difficult to not get people with alliances. I think what needs to be done is calling out the judges who are really not in line with their peers. That should be done by DCI. A judge who really has odd number assignment traits compared to others in that category, should not be allowed to judge regionals or Indy. Reserve them to local shows. I don't buy "his or her different read", I think it is a genuine dislike of a particular group or instructor, director of that group etc.

Chaddyt was correct when stating judging is subjective. I will admit that I have gotten turned off by the judging system (scores). I find it strange that a corps can continually win a certain caption practically every year. Yes, they may be extremely good, but often times I feel other corps should have a higher score in this caption but somehow don't receive credit. We have to remember that there is politics in almost everything competitive.

I think they need to realign the caption weights. GE/Visual/Music should all be weighted the same. All captions have a subjective component but GE is ridiculous. It's all about what a judge "reads". At least brass/percussion, you have a guy running on the field evaluating skill/technique.the best thing they did was having 2 GE people in each caption to attempt to weed out or compensate for the homers.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

I may not always agree with their numbers, but I think the judges are, for the most part, pretty solid in their critiques. At the end of the day, this entire activity is subjective. And it always will be.

That is, until we get robot judges.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

That is, until we get robot judges.

There's enough Cadet Borg around as it is, no need to assimilate the judges too...