Blue Devils 2013

I love Rites and have not heard the jazz versions so I’m excited for their show. I thought BD had great musical books the past 2 years so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I get what you are saying about corps’ identities and their fans expectations but you should at least hear it and give it a chance before you decide. Beside, last time they did Kenton which, I usually love from BD was 2010 and love is not how I’d describe my reaction to that musical book

• Like 3

Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them for the past decade.

I understand what you're saying in your post and don't entirely disagree... but it is tough to discount the championship victories, especially for a corps that gears its program to contending for championships.

I mean, something sure is working, and working quite well, for BD!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

winning or massive applause......it seems that's for the corps to choose which to aim for.

you can marry both, but it's rarer and rarer

• Like 1

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year's Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

I was afraid to say it because I didn't want to sound like I was trashing BD, but I was kind of thinking this myself. That's a real shame too, because I loved BD in 2011 and 2012 was pretty sweet as well. This feels a lot like another 2010. Yeah, it'll no doubt be a very successful show but I have a feeling this won't go down as one of the fan favorites.

• Like 3

Have you heard the arrangement they're pulling from? Despite not liking BD in 2010 or 2012, I'm excited for this one. Very, very hip take on Rite of Spring. Lends itself well to darker, jazzier interpretations. Check out the source version if you get the chance. What did you think about The Academy last year?

As for SNL, they were taking crazy musical risks during Lorne Michaels' first five years with the original cast. Go back and re-watch those seasons (not to mention some crazy risks in terms of structural formatting). The Jean Doumanian era was the real disaster. :smile:

I was afraid to say it because I didn't want to sound like I was trashing BD, but I was kind of thinking this myself. That's a real shame too, because I loved BD in 2011 and 2012 was pretty sweet as well. This feels a lot like another 2010. Yeah, it'll no doubt be a very successful show but I have a feeling this won't go down as one of the fan favorites.

I agree that Stravinsky seems to be an odd fit for Blue Devils, much as it was for Spirit in 1988, though I think they'll fare better. It could work. No one can dispute that Blue Devils take risks, but they are always calculated risks. As far as being a favorite of the crowd, "Cabaret Voltaire" was not a show that was completely understood or loved by all and Blue Devils received a polite at best reception in Allentown and Indy, especially compared with Crown and Phantom. Still, they know how to win better than anyone else whether crowds are cheering or jeering. However, we can guarantee one thing, whether the show is loved and successful or a disaster, it will be the topic of many heated DCP posts all summer long.

winning or massive applause......it seems that's for the corps to choose which to aim for.

you can marry both, but it's rarer and rarer

How true is this?

Cavies Machine got massive applause.

BD Winged Victory got massive applause.

Phantom Spartacus got massive applause.

Cadets Angels and Demons got massive applause.

BD didn't get massive applause for 1930, Through a Glass or Cabaret.

So yeah, three of the past four years - but all three one corps. If the suggestion is the system is broken, I don't think that's quite fair. Rather I think someone needs to figure out a way to beat BD - which happened two of the past five years and three of the past seven.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 4

I have no idea what to expect from their show. All I know is that their announcement peaked my interest and the source music is intriguing. It seems like it fits.

I am often proving myself wrong. Corps will announce their show and I will dislike everything I assume about what to expect only to be blown away when I actually see the show.

...and vice versa.

I wish BD the best of luck this year. The same goes for all corps.

• Like 1

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships as working because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

Paul,

First of all, the temptation to play a Rite of Spring show on the 100th anniversary of its premier was too great. That music was written at literally the turn of the century and the moment Romanticism had given all it could. Listen to Mahler's Adagio movement of his 10th Symphony (Written in the summer of 1910, but incomplete because he died of a heart condition)

Mahler was one of the greatest late Romanticists and he took it as far as it could go (Strauss, perhaps, too). He was tipping his hat to the 2nd Viennese School because (Mahler was a huge inspiration for Schoenberg and an early champion of his music), I believe, he could tell where the music was heading. Couldn't the same be said of what the Blue Devils might be trying to do? Obviously I don't think what the Blue Devils are doing should be put on the same shelf as what Stravinsky did. It's great that they are playing his music - almost every orchestra is this year. As far as the original composition goes, there is a lot of fundamental jazz elements born out of that music. Stravinsky, though Russian, was living in pre-WWI France when he wrote his ballets. A lot of that "modern" music was written out of the atrocities of two world wars that ripped apart everything that was known to be Europe. They were starting fresh, so we got music that reflected that.

I would also make the point that Stravinsky's Primitivism ideas and rhythmic elements have been copied by drum corps for decades. It's very tempting for a corps like the Blue Devils to pick a show that originally "shocked" and shifted the paradigms of music. I believe that is their modus operandi and has been for decades. Seems like a good fit.

By the way, I had this idea for this show for this year in 2002 (I'm sure many have, haha). I was hoping to shock the audience and perhaps have an unexpected surprise in finals that might cause the same kind of "rioting" that the ballet incited. Of course, I thought it might be hard to shock the audience with music that is 100 years old....apparently for some, not so much.... boom, music history slam! :tongue:/>/>/>

Also, I would encourage you to check out this Keeping Score that the San Francisco Symphony made about the Rite of Spring:

Edited by hammondbrass
  • Like 3