Blue Devils 2013

Not all are 20+. How old is the youngest Blue Devil, Stu?

Since DCI has been equated with the Little League Major division, I would assume that Blue Devils A corps members are 11 or 12 like the Little League?

DCI's use of the term Major League does not entitle people to boo the member corps, any more than calling a show Drums of Fire will feature burning percussion instruments. Will all the corps attending Corps Encore go on after the show ends? Will people attending the Loudest Show on Earth expect it to actually be louder than Pink Floyd?

See, it's called a metaphor. It's not meant to be taken literally.

And even if Dan Acheson said, "From now on you can boo corps," you still shouldn't do it.

Booing in a Major League competition is not an entitlement, it is a right.

Because you just don't boo performing arts.

DCI is a Major League Competition, not merely a performing art like a youth symphony concert.

• Like 1

Since DCI has been equated with the Little League Major division, I would assume that Blue Devils A corps members are 11 or 12 like the Little League?

Booing in a Major League competition is not an entitlement, it is a right.

DCI is a Major League Competition, not merely a performing art like a youth symphony concert.

Booing is not right.

• Like 3

Interesting; so DCI is not 'Summer Games' or a 'Major League'?

That's correct. Those are just marketing terms. There is no clearly defined criteria for a thing to be a major league sport. The people who run it just start applying the term if they feel like it.

But let's say DCI was really a major league sport. Your logic still fails:

Most instances of thing A, sports called Major Leagues, have thing B, booing. DCI is a Thing A, a Major League. So therefor it must also have Thing B. Check your logic text; it doesn't add up.

Are you saying those labels triggered some kind of reaction in you, that this was a new kind of activity with new rules of conduct? Funny no one mentioned it.

Imagine if that were true. If during the discussion about the terms Summer Music Games and Marching Music's Major League, someone had said, "You know, people will start booing if we do this." If DCI had actually believed that they would never have used the terms.

Goin' to bed...

• Like 4

Awwwww... his feelings were hurt; sniff, sniff, blow nose, poor baby.

Go write yourself a symphony that will re-define music, and I'll get a bunch of people together for the premiere to jeer it. After you've poured years of effort and your heart and soul into it. Good to see you're saying you're a better person than Stravinsky.

• Like 5

If they follow previous year arrangements, I'm pretty sure it won't sound anything like Rites.IJS

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year’s Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

Edited by AnaheimAlumni
  • Like 1

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year's Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

Booing is not right.

Having me lay out a bunch of money for tix, then sitting in a steaming hot stadium all afternoon and night next to people who forgot to apply deodorant, only to be presented with a boring, random, non-melodic show that the "experts" proclaim to be cutting edge, also isn't right.

But, hey, to each his/her own.

FWIW, I didn't boo. I sat there silent, along with the other 99 percent of the crowd. Maybe that's what the design staff was going for.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2