Could a High School drum corps be competitive?

High school drum corps

• Like 3

Coming from a BOA GN semis band, it would be a bit of a stretch. DC simply moved at an altogether faster pace, even in the very few moments when the drill was on the same level. Band had rest time built into the drill, often for nembers as much as 4 years younger. DC does not. This was in a 10-15 level corps, mind you.

i'm not sure why you got a minus for this...

I marched with a number of kids from very good (grand national finalist) BOA bands and they said drum corps was on a completely different level... and this wasn't even at a top 3 corps or something.

I understand how some people don't feel that marching bands can compete with drum corps. But

Let me help, MisterA - NO PEOPLE EXCEPT YOU feel marching bands can compete with drum corps.

• Like 6

Let me help, MisterA - NO PEOPLE EXCEPT YOU feel marching bands can compete with drum corps.

What did you not understand? I am not talking a MARCHING BAND!! I am talking a DRUM CORPS made up of high school students, from the same town. Yes the average age may be a little younger, but with a decent staff, and ability to have more regular rehearsals during the winter months, without having people coming in from all over the country, I think they could be successful. Look at Blue Devils B and Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets. They have made top 17 in years with a much younger average age than most of your top 6 corps. I know corps like Colts, Troopers, Mandarins, and others have a large number of high school kids, and they have great shows. And all of these corps have kids that can't be at camps every single month due to traveling.

• Like 2

What did you not understand? I am not talking a MARCHING BAND!! I am talking a DRUM CORPS made up of high school students, from the same town. Yes the average age may be a little younger, but with a decent staff, and ability to have more regular rehearsals during the winter months, without having people coming in from all over the country, I think they could be successful. Look at Blue Devils B and Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets. They have made top 17 in years with a much younger average age than most of your top 6 corps. I know corps like Colts, Troopers, Mandarins, and others have a large number of high school kids, and they have great shows. And all of these corps have kids that can't be at camps every single month due to traveling.

OK, I suppose in a perfect world, with the perfect circumstances, with a school board willing to front the costs, and with a music booster program that is as large and strong as a corps volunteer base, with good (great) staff and experiences writers and designers, one might be able to pull off an entry level Open Class-level corps.

Except that your last sentence still provides the answer and it parallel's mine earlier. The kids who march corps are the kinds of kids who have the talent level that allows them to miss significant parts of winter camps and still make a World Class corps. If you can find a city (excluding the Bay area) with the kind of talent pool that would allow you to field an even entry-level OC corps without the addition of exceptional imported talent and without the benefit of college age kids, then I'd suggest one should mortgage the house, borrow to the hilt, and quit your day job to corral that talent into a drum corps - today!

Fact is, you won't find it.

And even if you did miraculously find it, you'd still have to contend with parents who are bred to believe that HS-age band should be fun, and only fun, without demanding an awful lot from the kids (comparatively so). I can hear it now: in a shrill soccer Mom's voice: "Why does he make them work so hard? High school is supposed to be fun!" Then off to the school board to complain about staff beating their kids.

It's a rare band parent who willingly stands by and let's a drum corps staff...umm..."drive" the kids with the intensity of a DCI drum corps. Add in "But I pay taxes to support the schools!" and you've invited a whole, new level of complaining that will only serve to reduce the quality of the show by keeping away the most talented instructors.

If it were so easy for a band director to start a drum corps, we'd have them all over the country now.

Take away the booster aspect and your still faced with the reality that your core group of local HS kids who form the group will only be the core to get things started. If you aren't fishing in, at least, the regional talent pool, including universities, your group will struggle to have even as much stature as a "really good band". Surely not "drum corps" stature.

IMO, of course.

• Like 1

Oh, since you put it that way... HELL NO! Seriously, though, DC attracts the top 1% of HS performers PLUS college-aged kids. The average 14 year old just doesn't have that sort of seasoning.