Have drum corps evolved into bands?

DA and John indirectly beat me to something, Don. You could have been on the field today. Vince Bruni saw something in you- and with the way everything has been parsed in terms of methods, rehearsals, teaching, scheduling, the equipment, you'd have been fine. Heck, I started a lot of percussionists when I was actively teaching who knew nothing when they started and I think turned them over in good shape to the people who knew the craft at a high level and could really develop them.

The big question I think you have- and it does worry many of us-- Is whether the young Dons, the kids like you who are out there right now are getting an opportunity somewhere for something positive in their lives.

I know a lot of HS band programs now have taken some of that slack, but there could always be more. In the town I grew up in, and got the taste of the competition bug before I joined corps with the HS band I was in, the band program, In my humble opinion, is right now as we stand one of the last lines of defense left against the heroin dealers that are literally killing some of the kids in that little town and getting some more of them sent to jail.

There's gotta be room for the super band geeks like I was who never fit in with the normals who just loved being part of something where they felt they fit in- and the kids who need something to care about, stay out of trouble, and grow into as well. I think we're all concerned the table is shrinking when there needs to be more place settings.

well i still don't know if i could play and drill with what they do today. we marched in boxes in the drumline at a slower cadence. don't know that i could run and play. and i taught BITD but i don't know that o could clean up a line . i mean it's my limitations i guess.

John and I are agreeing, both with teaching knowledge at various levels of DCA, DCI and band programs, as well as judging experience in many different circuits...

The only one that doesn't see the forest through the trees is Ream. Blue Devils difficulty level is insane as is most of the top 5-6 DCI brass lines...Regiment has significant moments. Coats, SCV and so on...Cadets and Crown are ridiculous at times.

DA

• Like 1

BD's brass book is really demanding stuff, both technically and stylistically. Coupled with the visual demand, it's a whole truckload of simultaneous responsibility. That said, it's not exactly my favorite visual program this year. Crown and Cadets books, while demanding, have been dialed back this season, particularly Crown's.

I guess that last sentence was in reference to visual design, because neither of those corps have dialed back musically.

What Crown is playing in 2013 is the most technically demanding brass program I have ever witnessed on a football field. Cadets surprised me with some ambitious moments of their own. Regiment is similarly ambitious, though that is no surprise. Those are your top 3 technical brass books. BD is nowhere near that level of technical demand.

• Like 1

John and I are agreeing, both with teaching knowledge at various levels of DCA, DCI and band programs, as well as judging experience in many different circuits...

The only one that doesn't see the forest through the trees is Ream. Blue Devils difficulty level is insane as is most of the top 5-6 DCI brass lines...Regiment has significant moments. Coats, SCV and so on...Cadets and Crown are ridiculous at times.

DA

Oh, I see through the smoke and mirrors DA. It's ok though. Because, IMO, the visual has become so predominant in the activity, the musical HAS taken a backseat.

• Like 2

Oh, I see through the smoke and mirrors DA. It's ok though. Because, IMO, the visual has become so predominant in the activity, the musical HAS taken a backseat.

i agree jeff. but ya know........donny knows best..............

i agree jeff. but ya know........donny knows best..............

hey it's not like DA and i ever disagreed before

:tongue:/>

Nah its all good...and Don...are you serious? You may be thinking of the Donny you left here in the 70's but that is not who I am now. AT ALL! I have been humbled in this lifetime and even drum corps way too much for you to understand.

I don't know everything...only God knows everything. I am just grateful for the experiences that drum corps has given me. Don't forget that I was the proud program coordinator of the last place World Class DCI corps for a few years. If that doesn't humble someone, nothing will!

DA

Nah its all good...and Don...are you serious? You may be thinking of the Donny you left here in the 70's but that is not who I am now. AT ALL! I have been humbled in this lifetime and even drum corps way too much for you to understand.

I don't know everything...only God knows everything. I am just grateful for the experiences that drum corps has given me. Don't forget that I was the proud program coordinator of the last place World Class DCI corps for a few years. If that doesn't humble someone, nothing will!

DA

just busting your balls donny. the wounds healed years ago. it's my dry sense of humor. smile.gif

Despite what someone wanted earlier, to not have the economy brought up again, it is rather hard to avoid doing so BUT instead of saying because of this economy, I will change it to 'in this day and age' I'm not sure if some kids would rather work, or they are just responsible enough to realize they have to work in order to get what they want, be it a car, clothes, college, etc. Or you come from the families who straight out tell them you have to work. No ifs, ands or buts about it.....

In my area families were doing real well before 2008 so kids were not working as much because they didn't feel the need to work. Mom and Dad were paying for everything. Just recently High School and College Students are back in the work force because Mom and Dad are broke.