Have drum corps evolved into bands?

You are wrong on this one Jeff. Listen to the stuff that Crown's brass line is playing this year, Cadets, Regiment, Devils, Vanguard...et al...

Not as much difficulty as ....??????

My ears are telling me something totally different than yours right now.

• Like 1

You are wrong on this one Jeff. Listen to the stuff that Crown's brass line is playing this year, Cadets, Regiment, Devils, Vanguard...et al...

Not as much difficulty as ....??????

My ears are telling me something totally different than yours right now.

please, don't mention BD and difficulty unless you count the licks played standing still.

and yes we will disagree. Outside of Crown and Cadets, at least online, no ones brass book is wowing me for beef.

• Like 1

please, don't mention BD and difficulty unless you count the licks played standing still.

and yes we will disagree. Outside of Crown and Cadets, at least online, no ones brass book is wowing me for beef.

BD's brass book is really demanding stuff, both technically and stylistically. Coupled with the visual demand, it's a whole truckload of simultaneous responsibility. That said, it's not exactly my favorite visual program this year. Crown and Cadets books, while demanding, have been dialed back this season, particularly Crown's. Still great stuff though...smarter writing.

And there's not a single brass line from "back in the day" (prior to say, 1980) that could even touch what those three corps are doing (and maybe a small handful post 1980).

• Like 4

BD's brass book is really demanding stuff, both technically and stylistically. Coupled with the visual demand, it's a whole truckload of simultaneous responsibility. That said, it's not exactly my favorite visual program this year. Crown and Cadets books, while demanding, have been dialed back this season, particularly Crown's. Still great stuff though...smarter writing.

And there's not a single brass line from "back in the day" (prior to say, 1980) that could even touch what those three corps are doing (and maybe a small handful post 1980).

what ever. your schtick is getting old.thumbdown.gif

what ever. your schtick is getting old.thumbdown.gif

Clearly, you have a distaste for the truth. That's ok. The activity, the equipment, the performers, and the educators have *evolved*. They've gotten better. It's not a slam on those that marched back then. Do you really think the Chicago Bears or New York Giants of the 50's and 60's could hang with today's NFL players and coaches for more than five minutes? There's no possible way. Yet we still appreciate what those teams were able to accomplish. It's a shame you find a thought exercise so offensive.

I will admit I should have been more specific in that I was referring to DCI, not DCA. The evolutionary gap in DCA isn't anywhere near as wide, though it still exists.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

yeas . that is what i'm saying. and yes they have created hybred rudiments. what they are i couldn't tell you. i know that for me i could NEVER do what is being done today. i could never play and do the drills they do today. so i guess if you build that into the equation then the difficulty is there. donny doesn't care much of what i think so there will never be any consensus there.

Yes, you could've done what they are doing today. The difference is, in your day(and my day for that matter) there was no such thing as youtube/internet/cell phones, social media in general.... The info available now is just staggering..

That's why it burns my ### when people talk about how much better it was BITD, as if they marched because there were no ampes or Kevlar heads or grounded pit or what have you..

It's all relative!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, you could've done what they are doing today. The difference is, in your day(and my day for that matter) there was no such thing as youtube/internet/cell phones, social media in general.... The info available now is just staggering..

That's why it burns my ### when people talk about how much better it was BITD, as if they marched because there were no ampes or Kevlar heads or grounded pit or what have you..

It's all relative!!!!!

actually i marched because vince bruni brought me into the corps. he was my gym teacher in grammar school. he wanted to keep me off the streets. i traveled with the corps for a couple years before i marched. i had no interest in music or marching. i was going down a bad path. he talked to my dad and they decided to get me involved. so now you know why i got in. i could care less what heads we used or if the pit was grounded. and for the record i hated parades and exhibitions. i did it for the competition. got it? i hope that clears that up for ya.

DA and John indirectly beat me to something, Don. You could have been on the field today. Vince Bruni saw something in you- and with the way everything has been parsed in terms of methods, rehearsals, teaching, scheduling, the equipment, you'd have been fine. Heck, I started a lot of percussionists when I was actively teaching who knew nothing when they started and I think turned them over in good shape to the people who knew the craft at a high level and could really develop them.

The big question I think you have- and it does worry many of us-- Is whether the young Dons, the kids like you who are out there right now are getting an opportunity somewhere for something positive in their lives.

I know a lot of HS band programs now have taken some of that slack, but there could always be more. In the town I grew up in, and got the taste of the competition bug before I joined corps with the HS band I was in, the band program, In my humble opinion, is right now as we stand one of the last lines of defense left against the heroin dealers that are literally killing some of the kids in that little town and getting some more of them sent to jail.

There's gotta be room for the super band geeks like I was who never fit in with the normals who just loved being part of something where they felt they fit in- and the kids who need something to care about, stay out of trouble, and grow into as well. I think we're all concerned the table is shrinking when there needs to be more place settings.

• Like 6

And knowing where W taught at... Guy speaks from experience.....