Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Gary,

I suppose the answer is NO. That's too bad, because some of them are truly impressive. I did purchase some Alabama band cds that included an hour or more. I'm telling you, bands at this level provide everything we all want. It's good stuff. Is there a 3 hour evening of this alternative? No.

But why would you need competition? Like I said, go to Allentown. All day, 25 or so bands, sounds right up your alley.

• Like 1

But why would you need competition? Like I said, go to Allentown. All day, 25 or so bands, sounds right up your alley.

John,

Everyone tells me the college band event at Allentown is great, Truth be told, I find the new Allentown front sideline too far back. Every marching music event there disappoints me, compared to what once was. I've become very selective in what I purchase. I'm also a bit lazy now. At my age, other things satisfy me right here at home.

• Like 1

John,

Everyone tells me the college band event at Allentown is great, Truth be told, I find the new Allentown front sideline too far back. Every marching music event there disappoints me, compared to what once was. I've become very selective in what I purchase. I'm also a bit lazy now. At my age, other things satisfy me right here at home.

Hey, that's fair. I agree with you on the front sideline. I'd have to ask Jeff, but I *think* we moved it forward when ACC's was there a few years ago. I don't remember it being that far back when my bad performed. I could be wrong though.

I hear you on being selective. I am too, to a certain extent. I never stay for scores at any show anymore, and rarely watch exhibitions.

John,

I think, stadium changes aside, you'd have a great time

Hey, that's fair. I agree with you on the front sideline. I'd have to ask Jeff, but I *think* we moved it forward when ACC's was there a few years ago. I don't remember it being that far back when my bad performed. I could be wrong though.

I hear you on being selective. I am too, to a certain extent. I never stay for scores at any show anymore, and rarely watch exhibitions.

no...we didn't move it.which was annoying, because in that downpour during group 2, it was just more space to cover while getting drenched

Most definitely yes....and it happened years ago. I might be "old school" but I say let the marching band people have their fun in the fall and let us drum corps people have fun in the summer. Not going to happen, I know. I went to a show last night in Monroeville, PA and liked maybe 10 minutes total of all the corps. Spent $30 each for tickets, $60 on t-shirts plus the expense of driving there. I only get one chance a year to go to a show and after taking much time to decide whether or not to go, I decided to go. Glad I did but still....there are not too many of those "get me up off my seat" moments. People including myself have been griping for years about shows but it's not going to change. Loud amps, props all over the place, dancing, running...you name it. I deal with it though...we're all drum corps nuts and family.

• Like 1

Most definitely yes....and it happened years ago. I might be "old school" but I say let the marching band people have their fun in the fall and let us drum corps people have fun in the summer. Not going to happen, I know. I went to a show last night in Monroeville, PA and liked maybe 10 minutes total of all the corps. Spent $30 each for tickets, $60 on t-shirts plus the expense of driving there. I only get one chance a year to go to a show and after taking much time to decide whether or not to go, I decided to go. Glad I did but still....there are not too many of those "get me up off my seat" moments. People including myself have been griping for years about shows but it's not going to change. Loud amps, props all over the place, dancing, running...you name it. I deal with it though...we're all drum corps nuts and family.

what has happened..............and it was long ago..........is the corps arrangers write the shows for the judges not the fans. it happened in the late 70's . not all corps but a lot of them. and then the shows became more and more difficult. this is now what you have. it's past our time. complaining will not change anything. it now belongs to the younger people. the band people. let them do their will. it either lives or dies with them. at least DCA is trying to slow down all the changes.

Edited by donincardona

what has happened..............and it was long ago..........is the corps arrangers write the shows for the judges not the fans. it happened in the late 70's . not all corps but a lot of them. and then the shows became more and more difficult. this is now what you have. it's past our time. complaining will not change anything. it now belongs to the younger people. the band people. let them do their will. it either lives or dies with them. at least DCA is trying to slow down all the changes.

Thank goodness DCA is trying to slow things down. I don't lurk in here all that much. I peaked in the other day and noticed a thread by someone in the DCI World Class forum who was complaining about the DCI shows this year. He thought they should be more fan friendly. I could not help but think " Same story, different year". Last night Cadets used up I don't know how many parking spaces including one handicapped space for props.

On a side note, when I pulled in to park, there were two men a few parking spaces to my left. One suggested I pull up some more because "there will be props back there and you don't want to be too close". Cadets had placed a bunch of cones in parking spaces including one handicapped space (there were only three in the first place) to reserve them for their props. Nevermind us paying customers/fans. Anyway, one of those guys was playing drum corps music in his car. The other man asked him "Is that Alumni?". The man playing the music said "no, mini-corps". I wanted to grin and say..."my kind of people".

• Like 1

Can we be clear on something please?

"the band people"....gasp....more often than not drum corps people.

as competitive marching band started growing in the 70's, it was people from corps that led them down the path. As the years went on, more and more younger people in corps got involved and started teaching bands, and that trend continues ondown today. I can look ata corps like Bucs or Cabs and see a large portion of the membership that teaches bands, as well as the staff.

Then indoor grew, and it was many of these same folks that got involved with that.

There really is NO seperation of "band people" corps people" "indoor people" anymore. they're all the same.it's been going that way since the 70's.

Can we be clear on something please?

"the band people"....gasp....more often than not drum corps people.

as competitive marching band started growing in the 70's, it was people from corps that led them down the path. As the years went on, more and more younger people in corps got involved and started teaching bands, and that trend continues ondown today. I can look ata corps like Bucs or Cabs and see a large portion of the membership that teaches bands, as well as the staff.

Then indoor grew, and it was many of these same folks that got involved with that.

There really is NO seperation of "band people" corps people" "indoor people" anymore. they're all the same.it's been going that way since the 70's.

Semantics.....SIGH. Let me put it another way for you then. People who prefer watching marching bands I refer to as band people. Many of whom would be mom, dad and family. People who prefer watching drum corps I refer to as drum corps people. Such as someone in Cleveland who after work yesterday drove two and a half hours to a show near Pittsburgh. Gets back home after midnight only to have to get up early for work today. Not sure he would have done that for a band show last night. No disrespect whatsoever for marching bands either as I like them as well as the next guy. Geez....

And yes, I do know that drum corps and band people are quite often the same. Well, having the same interests. I wasn't born yesterday.....another sigh. I should have known better than to post in here, where everyone knows more than everyone else.

• Like 1