Have drum corps evolved into bands?

So what is so wrong with a band? Ya'll got something against saxophones? Drum corps is an outstanding activity. It is outstanding now and was equally outstanding BITD. And sure, it is different today than it was then, but how many '75 Chevys are still on the road? And a Bb line can be every bit as loud as G....AND it just sounds better! And unless one has perfect pitch, going from one keyed trumpet to another is as simple as putting the horn to your lips and blowing.

I hate Saxaphones. On the other hand I love Clarinets. They make good Kindling. :)

• Like 2

yeah jeff i don't know about that. people love when rifle corps do their thing. yes it's military but people love it. but you could very well be right. maybe people don't care.

who outside of the military has an old fashioned rifle corps Don? even alumni corps don't do the old school rifle stuff in parades

a Bb line is not as floud as a G line. bugles were made to be loder for the military to be played outside. that was how they did commands. and the tone is different. c'mon man. ph34r.gif

Bb lines CAN be as loud as G lines. it all comes down to how it's written and taught.

yeah because it was bigger than the rest. size means everything.

They were as big as many of the top lines of the last 30 years. They were as loud or louder than almost all of the G lines in that span. Probably the only exception would Renegades 02-05, but then again, Renegades didn't move like Bucs did

I judge several parades a year. Want to know the comments I hear most when a band or corps comes down the street playing something that isn't fun or hip?

"oh, America again. yay"

"play something fun"

"they look so stiff, they should lighten up"

it's a different day and age.

• Like 1

I judge several parades a year. Want to know the comments I hear most when a band or corps comes down the street playing something that isn't fun or hip?

"oh, America again. yay"

"play something fun"

"they look so stiff, they should lighten up"

it's a different day and age.

• Like 1

Jeff. With all due respect, I stand by my comments about the Troopers.

feel free.

in a world where The Voice, American idol etc is considering high entertainment by millions, I'll stand by mine

yeah because it was bigger than the rest. size means everything.

OK... let's say 60 horns or so.

My point is... I've heard plenty of G lines of 60 horns or so, too. And the Bucs' line last year was as loud, if not louder than those same-sized G lines.