Have drum corps evolved into bands?

With all due respect …

The concept that intonation is, “The #1 overriding factor in volume” is hogwash.

The “perceived” volume argument is similarly a canard.

Tell that to Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Robert Smith, Frank Williams, Jim Prime, John Meehan, the staff at Caroline Crown, etc, etc...

You get two lines pushing the same air, all else being equal, the one with better intonation will appear louder. Period.

• Like 2

thanks andy. where is the interview so i can read it.

Don, it's in the 1976 DCA yearbook and I believe that Steve Anderman was the interviewer.

It's been said that if you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you are going. That could explain why the activity is going DOWNHILL.

Again, just my humble opinion from having been there so many years ago.

Most of those guys back then knew exactly what they wanted and how to get there, including Hy, Tru, Joe, Corky, Sasso and so many more. If they wanted a marching band sound, they would have taught marching bands ( and they did at times) BUT, they wanted that full, open, outdoor sound that G horns provided and apparently the fans approved.

Ray

Don, it's in the 1976 DCA yearbook and I believe that Steve Anderman was the interviewer.

It's been said that if you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you are going. That could explain why the activity is going DOWNHILL.

Again, just my humble opinion from having been there so many years ago.

Most of those guys back then knew exactly what they wanted and how to get there, including Hy, Tru, Joe, Corky, Sasso and so many more. If they wanted a marching band sound, they would have taught marching bands ( and they did at times) BUT, they wanted that full, open, outdoor sound that G horns provided and apparently the fans approved.

Ray

thanks ray. mine got destroyed in a hurricane. so i guess i can't read it. to bad i wish it was online.

So drum corps went from G to Bb just to draw kids from high school bands? And I have heard plenty of Bb lines that were plenty loud enough, however, if the fans want louder then perhaps we could line up 18 wheelers side by side accross the field and have them all blow their air horns at the same time for 11 minutes! And if you took a corps from 20 years ago and put them in competition today, they would be laughed off the field.

I have to disagree. I recently watched videos from the 80's and early 90's and some of the shows by Cadets, Phantom and SCV still hold up very well.

Great reply Kay!

This type of post continues to pop up year after year and one side has "all" the answers and then there is the other side....

Truth be told....the brass manufacturers weren't making enough money on G bugles. As the corps died so did the request for more G horns. There are more bands and individuals playing Bb and it makes perfect business sense to go to a "universal" key. This was NOT DCI's conspiracy at all, it was the manufacturers (Yamaha, Dynasty, etc). It was a great ride BITD with G bugles but we have been in Bb for some time. Why bring up a dead horse? Talk about the odd uniforms that corps are wearing or was Alberta Girls a band or drum corps?

It seems like every time something changes in our activity we hear the same shrill voices proclaiming the collapse of Western Civilization as we know it. Could someone please explain to the congregation, just what is or was "real drumcorps" and when did it cease to exist?

• Like 2

Since you have little interest in looking up the interview, here it is ... your opinion will still be your own ... just wanted you to have the full context of the "G" comments ...

Where did I ever say or even indicate that I had little interest in looking it up? I just spent the last four hours making almost 100 FedEx labels. I much prefer research.

Q. What do you consider your greatest triumph in senior corps?

A. The Skyliners of course, have won just about every major title. But the first show in 1960 - St. Pat's Preview of Champions in Jersey City. Hawthorne had been unbeatable the year before, and we went out and knocked them off. I was playing in the line then, too. That was a very gratifying experience. You could talk about the three DCA Championships we've won, you could talk about the "Dream"; winning the "Dream" is always a great feeling. Last year's DCA Championship was a little watered down! But it was great because we won high horns despite the rain.

Q. You mentioned earlier the fascination you had for the first single valve horn corps that you ever saw. How do you feel about the new double piston valve bugles? Do you think DCA will take this path in the future?

A. Well, if you remember the last meeting we had on it, the feeling was the hell with the two-valve horn, let's go to three but keep it in the key of G. I was amazed because I introduced the idea to DCA. What we are using now is a two-valve G trumpet, with the rotary. The horn ceased to be a bugle when we stopped using Army Regulation bugles and added a valve. So now, there are G trumpets. DCA said in effect, "Why be hypocritical, let's go to the three but keep it in G because we still want that drum corps sound; we don't want that Bb band sound." Personally, I do not care if we went for six valves; as long as it is in G, we still have the same sound but with more versatility. We would still have drum and bugle corps!

Interviwer comment: Hy Dreitzer is a helluva man to talk to. Had we not been both so tired on that spring morning at 2:15am.We could have talked drum corps all night. I personally feel that this person is the patron saints of drum corps music. I do not know that anybody could challenge that...

Andy "for his time is well documented ... you just have to look for it" Lisko

And I will still stand by my "in his time" comment Andy. The man, God rest his soul, has passed away, and not recently. If he had passed away recently the "in his time" would not have been included. If I spoke about George Zingali and drill writing I would have used the exact same phrasing. And I happen to think he was the best drill writer ever. That wording has 0 to do with respect or lack of it. This was never about insulting Mr. Drietzer as you so chose to take it. We will agree to disagree on this. I feel that many things in the activity have changed for the better, not all of them, but a lot of them. Me saying out loud just because someone said something back then, would it still be true....the answer is we actually will never know. And possibly if he was still around, the activity would have been influenced by his say-so at the DCA rules congress in 2003 and stayed with G. Just as possible that he could have changed his mind with time. Like I said, we will never know.

Liz 'has to go drag almost 100 FedExs downstairs and see how many can fit in the pickup box' Duguay :tongue:

• Like 2

I have to disagree. I recently watched videos from the 80's and early 90's and some of the shows by Cadets, Phantom and SCV still hold up very well.

'82 Cadets would be positively smoked against the current World Class corps by today's standards.

• Like 2

Where did I ever say or even indicate that I had little interest in looking it up? I just spent the last four hours making almost 100 FedEx labels. I much prefer research.

And I will still stand by my "in his time" comment Andy. The man, God rest his soul, has passed away, and not recently. If he had passed away recently the "in his time" would not have been included. If I spoke about George Zingali and drill writing I would have used the exact same phrasing. And I happen to think he was the best drill writer ever. That wording has 0 to do with respect or lack of it. This was never about insulting Mr. Drietzer as you so chose to take it. We will agree to disagree on this. I feel that many things in the activity have changed for the better, not all of them, but a lot of them. Me saying out loud just because someone said something back then, would it still be true....the answer is we actually will never know. And possibly if he was still around, the activity would have been influenced by his say-so at the DCA rules congress in 2003 and stayed with G. Just as possible that he could have changed his mind with time. Like I said, we will never know.

Liz 'has to go drag almost 100 FedExs downstairs and see how many can fit in the pickup box' Duguay tongue.gif

that was a funny way to end your post liz. i fell off the chair. felloff.gif

It seems like every time something changes in our activity we hear the same shrill voices proclaiming the collapse of Western Civilization as we know it. Could someone please explain to the congregation, just what is or was "real drumcorps" and when did it cease to exist?

• Like 1