Have drum corps evolved into bands?

So what is so wrong with a band? Ya'll got something against saxophones? Drum corps is an outstanding activity. It is outstanding now and was equally outstanding BITD. And sure, it is different today than it was then, but how many '75 Chevys are still on the road? And a Bb line can be every bit as loud as G....AND it just sounds better! And unless one has perfect pitch, going from one keyed trumpet to another is as simple as putting the horn to your lips and blowing.

a Bb line is not as floud as a G line. bugles were made to be loder for the military to be played outside. that was how they did commands. and the tone is different. c'mon man. ph34r.gif

uummm not rue. we did come from bands but BITD the instructors were not band directors or instructors. now all of the instructors are from bands. as for drums they play unison with very little counter rhythms. we didn't play the that. it was rhythms and counter rhythms. and the drill is very much like band but ours wasn't but no matter. it is what it is. we did come from band way back when.

That's fine, but it doesn't make BITD any less of a band just because your instructors were not band directors and you played different material. Still a band, always a band, just a specialized kind of band called a drum corps.

• Like 1

I double from a saxophone to a clarinet then to a flute...sometimes in the same piece, with no issues. So playing on a G trumpet or Bb trumpet I would think would not deter most any experienced, capable brass player.

It doesn't deter me either. But I've been playing for 22 years. These are kids UNDER the age of the length of time I've been playing... Haha :)

a Bb line is not as floud as a G line. bugles were made to be loder for the military to be played outside. that was how they did commands. and the tone is different. c'mon man. ph34r.gif

Don, with all due respect....

Just one example: The Buccaneers' horn line last year... a B-flat line... was as loud as any senior/all-age line I've ever heard. And I've probably heard too many of them. :tongue:

Don, with all due respect....

Just one example: The Buccaneers' horn line last year... a B-flat line... was as loud as any senior/all-age line I've ever heard. And I've probably heard too many of them. tongue.gif

yeah because it was bigger than the rest. size means everything.

That's fine, but it doesn't make BITD any less of a band just because your instructors were not band directors and you played different material. Still a band, always a band, just a specialized kind of band called a drum corps.

bands were very different. cadence was faster. drums didn't use the rudiments as much. played in unison. drills were completely different. bands maybe but a different animal. like the difference between a dog and a mountain lion.

Not really bigger, I believe the top 3 at least were all within maybe 5 horns of each other if that. Buccaneers have gone with 60 brass I believe for about the past 8 years or so ( maybe a year or two they may have had 64 )

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

From To Have And Have Not

:tongue:/>

Any opportunity to look at Lauren Bacall is an opportunity not to be missed... :thumbup:/>

to-have-and-have-not-lauren-bacall.jpg

Hard to compare volumes today from in the past, but today I seem to notice a "hit" or two of volume but nothing like the past. Still think style of play and horn construction comes into play here. Todays lines seem to be taught that control/blend is more important than the emotional impact that sheer volume can bring.

And how far back are we going comparing G lines with todays Bbs? Horns in my day could be louder than todays horns but lot easier to lose the tone doing it too. But (until someone explains how I am wrong) that had nothing to do with key and almost everything to do with how that "modified signaling device" was built. IOW - a C or Bb piston/rotor beast could be just as loud.

Anyone wanna try I have a bunch of G Baris in the basement from 1v to 3v. See how much effort goes into playing and how much the dust rattles off the cellar window wells.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Really Jeff? Take a look at a video of the Troopers from the 60s or early 70s and convince me that the public would not go gaga at a parade if a corps that looked and sounded like the Troopers came MARCHING down the street in a current parade. I'll bet the response would be a hell of a lot better than that of the current day corps who walk the parade waving to the audience while having conversations amongst themselves while playing quintessential John Phillips Sousa music.

I judge several parades a year. Want to know the comments I hear most when a band or corps comes down the street playing something that isn't fun or hip?

"oh, America again. yay"

"play something fun"

"they look so stiff, they should lighten up"

it's a different day and age.