Lexington Lolllapalooza

from what I've heard from someone i know who watched cavies rehearsal. their show is moving in the right direction to get them back on top, but not quite there yet. Drill is still an issue and they will probably not be in the top 5 again this season. This is what he said, and I trust the source as very knowledgable.

After last year I understand anyone's concern over Cavies drill. But, and I say this meaning no insult to these corps, I haven't seen drill from Cadets, BD nor Crown that has made me think Championship.

It seems DCI has moved from the days of Frameworks, Spin Cycle and Machine to the concept of staging/WGI/BOA.

No longer can I look at a show like I did from 2000-2006 and think hot #### that's championship drill writing.

Point being, while your friend may be right, he may also be wrong. I've seen both BD and Crown live already this season and trust me my biggest impressions were not from the drill writing.

• Like 5

Scouts finished 1.35 points behind Academy in 2009. Academy got a 64.8 in its first show of 2010. I guess by the theory, then, it would have been reasonable to expect Madison to score about 63.5 in its first show of 2010. Instead, Madison scored 71.1.

I'm not about to claim that Troop has done what Madison did between 2009 and 2010. The Troopers haven't even stepped on the field yet. I'm only expressing a skepticism (and, honestly, a mild frustration) with the idea that what happened last year will happen this year. I suppose it's a rant against preconceived notions. I don't expect Troop to win DCI this year. I do hope they can be seen and evaluated for what they are this year, without any hangover from last year. I would say the same for every other corps. New year, new shows, clean slate.

I'm going to probably make an ### of myself here by stating that I've never seen (in almost 50 years) a corps' evaluation affected in a significant way by their prior year.

If they're that much improved it will be obvious to judges, who are actually very good at this stuff (in my opinion). Good luck with Troopers. If they've got it, they'll get it.

1. Cavaliers - 70.8

2. Bluecoats - 70.6

3. Spirit - 65.5

4. Crossmen - 62.1

5. Troopers - 59.8

Cue the oversensitivity.

Interesting... after watching them last week I'll be surprised if Crossmen are much lower than a 67 but I don't really have a handle on where the drill evaluation is right now so I'm prepared to be surprised in either direction.

I'm not about to claim that Troop has done what Madison did between 2009 and 2010. The Troopers haven't even stepped on the field yet. I'm only expressing a skepticism (and, honestly, a mild frustration) with the idea that what happened last year will happen this year. I suppose it's a rant against preconceived notions. I don't expect Troop to win DCI this year. I do hope they can be seen and evaluated for what they are this year, without any hangover from last year. I would say the same for every other corps. New year, new shows, clean slate.

While I do believe that the first week of shows are effected by what happened last year, I do see that eventually the judges do tend to get it right for the most part as the season unfolds. Phantom Regiment, a great Corps, came out in 2009 to defend their 2008 title and their scores seemed inflated to me that first week for what they were putting on the field in 2009 compared to 2008. In short order however, the consensus among the judging community seemed to agree that Phantom's 2009 edition was not quite that of 2008 and their scores began to reflect that. There are other examples where it takes the judges a few viewings to come around to where a Corps sits on a totem pole. And by Finals, all the Corps seem to pretty much fall into the right placement spot within a spot or so, and so I think we should be comforted by that. Its not where you start, its where you finish. And at the end of a season, from fans perspective, its the level of enjoyment of the show and then the Finals placement that is remembered. Few remember, nor care, what score and placement a Corps got the first week of the season, when its all said and done. Its important in June because thats all we have at that time in the competitive season. But in the big picture, from a fans perspective, its Finals that counts, and what will be most remembered in that season years later.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

we need a color comentary person in ky

we need a color comentary person in ky

I guess we will have to use our imagination.

Line-up:

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Troopers - Casper, WY

Cincinnati Tradition - Cincinnati, OH

Weather forecast - High 88, Low 67, 10% rain chance

My Predictions:

1. Bluecoats - 71.2

2. Cavaliers - 68.5

3. Spirit of Atlanta 64.3

4. Crossmen - 61.0

5. Troopers - 58.5

I have a bit of a different take on my prediction!

1. Cavaliers 72.1

2. Bluecoats 71.9

3. Spirit of Atlanta 67.5

4. Crossmen 66.5

5. Troopers 64.5