Boston 2013

Over five days, Boston's score has gone from 81.9 to 85.0 [that's 0.62 per day] ... If they continue to improve as fast as they have since Tuesday, they'll score 93 in Finals and be more than a point ahead of Cavies. Similarly they'd pass up the Scouts.

Over seven days, Boston's score has gone from 81.9 to 86.1 [that's 0.60 per day]. It would be great if they could keep up that rate of improvement.

Over nine days, Boston's score has gone from 81.9 to 87.25. That's 0.59 per day. Still climbing fast, but the rate is slowing a little, trending to a Finals score of 92.6 (but 91.8 if the rate continues to slow consistently).

During the same period, four corps have improved about as fast, or faster, than BAC:

0.76 per day -- Spirit of Atlanta*

0.62 per day -- Mandarins

0.61 per day -- Bluecoats

0.58 per day -- Colts

Most of the other corps, including Cavaliers and Blue Knights, are improving at about 0.35-0.45 per day. The slow five lately are:

0.31 per day -- Pacific Crest

0.28 per day -- Madison Scouts

0.27 per day -- Cadets

0.24 per day -- Cascades

0.22 per day -- Oregon Crusaders

I hope those corps get back on track--what's the point in beating someone who's not achieving at the highest level?

*Well, this is interesting. Spirit's remarkable improvement led me to do a little more calculating. If all corps maintain the same rate of improvement over the next nine days that they've shown over the previous nine days, these would be the final standings:

1. 98.550 -- Blue Devils

2. 97.250 -- Carolina Crown

3. 96.545 -- Santa Clara Vanguard

4. 96.275 -- Bluecoats

5. 95.600 -- Cadets

6. 93.755 -- Spirit of Atlanta

7. 92.600 -- Boston Crusaders

8. 92.050 -- Phantom Regiment

9. 90.680 -- Cavaliers

10. 90.350 -- Blue Knights

11. 89.850 -- Madison Scouts

12. 86.800 -- Blue Stars

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

13. 85.900 -- Colts

14. 85.845 -- Crossmen

15. 82.945 -- Troopers

16. 82.920 -- Mandarins

17. 81.650 -- Pacific Crest

18. 79.435 -- Academy

19. 78.375 -- Oregon Crusaders

20. 76.455 -- Jersey Surf

21. 71.450 -- Pioneer

22. 69.805 -- Cascades

Wouldn't that be quite something? But, of course, there is no reason to expect the corps will keep improving at the same rate! And we know that other factors come in to play: that, for instance, the Semifinals score of the 13th-place corps is often higher than the Finals score of the 12-place corps. And that there have never been ten corps with scores of 90 or more (and only twice have nine corps scored so high).

**EDIT: As noted here, I was working with bad data that had the Erie scores of Blue Knights and Spirit of Atlanta switched. This made Spirit's improvement over the past couple weeks seem much greater than it was. I apologize for my carelessness.**

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

In a weeks time, Judging panels are different in both faces and numbers and captions. Some Corps have more shows in that timeframe, others less shows, but more practice time, and so many other variables, that it makes the score progression numbers in any timeframe essentially meaningless. ( otherwise one would believe that the Bluecoats are on their way to beating The Cadets at Finals, but thats not going to happen, imo. ) The only thing that is meaningful is the head to head matchups and the score spreads between various Corps in the head to head matchups.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, the Lions did it tonight. http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/recap_window.cfm?event=f05de3ab-e3ed-465d-99b3-682e670e0e94 .05 is way within a point. Maybe in Allentown the spread will be on the the plus side.

While I am pulling for Boston's rise (pun intended) and I did not see their performance last night (gave up on the rain), I felt that Madison was flat.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting so I could see what I missed. I wish that I could have stayed, but was just too tired after playing with the senior corps and uncomfortable from sitting out in the rain.

Thanks for posting so I could see what I missed. I wish that I could have stayed, but was just too tired after playing with the senior corps and uncomfortable from sitting out in the rain.

You guys and gals in the Boston Crusaders Sr's did a nice job in your exhibition, by the way. The audience liked it a lot.

You guys and gals in the Boston Crusaders Sr's did a nice job in your exhibition, by the way. The audience liked it a lot.

Thanks, it is always a pleasure to perform for an appreciative audience.

In a weeks time, Judging panels are different in both faces and numbers and captions. Some Corps have more shows in that timeframe, others less shows, but more practice time, and so many other variables, that it makes the score progression numbers in any timeframe essentially meaningless. ( otherwise one would believe that the Bluecoats are on their way to beating The Cadets at Finals, but thats not going to happen, imo. ) The only thing that is meaningful is the head to head matchups and the score spreads between various Corps in the head to head matchups.

Boston did a great job in the rain with their show demand the other night. I thought things clicked for them the other night as well. Rise BAC Rise.

• Like 1