Cavies Struggles

This was brought up in the Sacramento thread so I figured I'd being it up in its own topic. The Cavies are struggling and by all accounts more than a year ago. Are they on a path to miss finals? We hear they have a young corps which if true at the least says their vets don't trust the system. Many Picked them to pop back into the top 5 but that doesn't seem likely. Are they destined to fall like Madison did when their staff and thinking changed so dramatically? Will they make the correct changes and pop back up like Phantom and SCV have done? I'm a huge Cavies fan but I fear the days of the dominant Cavies may not return or at the least will take awhile.... Thoughts?

Wes P

• Like 1

Things come in waves. Cavies were at the top for a while, but anyone at the top doesn't always stay there. The word "Cadeviliers" may not be in use this year, though.

Things come in waves. Cavies were at the top for a while, but anyone at the top doesn't always stay there. The word "Cadeviliers" may not be in use this year, though.

Cadevilina?

Cabluna?

Crowbluedet?

Edited by c mor
  • Like 2

I only saw their show in a wind storm without the cloaks to start the show but I think this show will be better than last year. It at least seems more entertaining to me. Its not Top 5 but I don't see it as a 9th place or lower show either. 7th behind BD, Crown, SCV, Cadets, PR, and Bluecoats seem achievable.

They lost to Spirit of Atlanta last night by .15. I really think the wind storm covers that since virtually all props and costuming were not in use. They were @ 2 points behind the scouts but the Cavaliers program has much more room to grow conceptually. With Madison it is what it is. The wild card is how BAC grows their show throughout the season. If they show what they are capable of, then I see Cavaliers back in 8th place again.

Conceptually, they have a ton of room to grow during the season. I didn't see that in last year's show. if the corps is young, then its up to how the staff approaches the utilization of time in rehearsal to make it better.

• Like 1

I don't see them missing Finals, but I don't see any way they're Top 6 either. Devils, Crown, Cadets, Phantom, Vanguard, and Bluecoats I think are pretty much guaranteed to finish ahead of the Cavaliers. And the Scouts, Crusaders, Blue Knights, and Spirit (in order from most likely to least likely) have a chance, too. The Cavaliers will end up between 7th and 11th place, and I think the middle of that (8th or 9th) is most likely.

First off, although I haven't seen them, I think the alarm is probably overstated.

That said, what it means, as a few have said in their own way, is that the mindset underpinning the whole G7 idea and premise is busted. The decade-long stagnation in DCI seems pretty well broken this past two seasons. We are seeing movement and even surprises at the top, middle, and bottom of the "finals" crowd. That's a good thing for everyone but those that want the elite to be an institutionalized thing rather than an elite status that is re-earned annually through excellence.

Be excellent in organization, recruiting, design, staffing, and performance, and the fickle 16-22 year old crowd will reward you with auditions. It's that simple. A powerpoint marketing scheme that puts you on an arbitrary list of the best doesn't make you an elite corps. Running your corps better than everyone else does, and that isn't always guaranteed to last.

• Like 9

I only saw their show in a wind storm without the cloaks to start the show but I think this show will be better than last year. It at least seems more entertaining to me. Its not Top 5 but I don't see it as a 9th place or lower show either. 7th behind BD, Crown, SCV, Cadets, PR, and Bluecoats seem achievable.

They lost to Spirit of Atlanta last night by .15. I really think the wind storm covers that since virtually all props and costuming were not in use. They were @ 2 points behind the scouts but the Cavaliers program has much more room to grow conceptually. With Madison it is what it is. The wild card is how BAC grows their show throughout the season. If they show what they are capable of, then I see Cavaliers back in 8th place again.

Conceptually, they have a ton of room to grow during the season. I didn't see that in last year's show. if the corps is young, then its up to how the staff approaches the utilization of time in rehearsal to make it better.

Totally agree with this. Is it top 5? Probably not.But those who think the Cavaliers will not make Finals, you're wrong. From all the shows in the current top 13, this show from a design and performance perspective has the most room for development.

The staff has its hands full with a very young corps. But it appears this show has been better received by judges and fans, then 2012. I could see Secret Society developing as Mad World did in 2010, but the corps is less experienced. I still remember watching Mad World for the first month of the season thinking WTF, then right around the Texas tour it finally clicked and the Cavies made their move.

I'm not saying theyre gonna jump into top 3, but those predicting the demise of the Cavies are mistaken. We tend to forget that Michael Gaines was/is arguably one of, if not the best drill writer in modern dci history. It's a big hurdle to get over and will take time.

I look forward to the progress and development of this show and wish these young men nothing but good luck.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1