DCI Tour Premeir

Unrelated to any actual corps performances from last night, the Volume 2 blu-ray got the biggest responses in the theater. Not surprising since they were showing some of the best moments in drum corps history. But after Steve Rondinaro set up the great restoration job, then it cuts to '76 BD looking like worn out VHS footage I kept expecting a before/after kind of reveal. Sounded great though. I've watched Volume 1, so I know the older shows DO look much better, but probably not best to blow it up to theater size. Anyway, Spartacus had everybody cheering as usual.

In an effort to be more on topic, I enojyed several of the shows last night, but Cadets were my favorite. I'm a huge Barber fan though, so they could have just stood still and played and I would have liked it. May not surpass '99 SCV in my favorites list, but really looking forward to seeing it again in August.

• Like 1

Unrelated to any actual corps performances from last night, the Volume 2 blu-ray got the biggest responses in the theater. Not surprising since they were showing some of the best moments in drum corps history. But after Steve Rondinaro set up the great restoration job, then it cuts to '76 BD looking like worn out VHS footage I kept expecting a before/after kind of reveal. Sounded great though. I've watched Volume 1, so I know the older shows DO look much better, but probably not best to blow it up to theater size. Anyway, Spartacus had everybody cheering as usual.

In an effort to be more on topic, I enojyed several of the shows last night, but Cadets were my favorite. I'm a huge Barber fan though, so they could have just stood still and played and I would have liked it. May not surpass '99 SCV in my favorites list, but really looking forward to seeing it again in August.

In our theater, the moment the member with the spear appeared on screen, the entire audience erupted. Everyone knew what show it was and what was going to happen.

• Like 1

In our theater, the moment the member with the spear appeared on screen, the entire audience erupted. Everyone knew what show it was and what was going to happen.

If you were at the Merchant's Walk theater in Marietta, part of that was probably because the Phantom DM with the spear was a local kid. Koji was formerly the drum major at Kennesaw Mountain H.S.

• Like 2

If you were at the Merchant's Walk theater in Marietta, part of that was probably because the Phantom DM with the spear was a local kid. Koji was formerly the drum major at Kennesaw Mountain H.S.

Yep--I was there (wearing Spirit's "Speakeasy" tour shirt).

I can't imagine being a part of DCI history that folks will talk about probably forever! A story to tell the grandkids. :thumbup:/>

Thanks for the info!

I felt embarassed for Boston as poor as the visual program was. Charlie and the kids deserve a better program, and that color guard girl deserves a better uniform.

This seems a bit harsh. We can debate all day about the controversy of the grey throwback uniforms, but I don't think the visual program is anywhere near being "poor".

An agenda at work here, perhaps?

• Like 2

This seems a bit harsh. We can debate all day about the controversy of the grey throwback uniforms, but I don't think the visual program is anywhere near being "poor".

Far from it!

As a fan of the Crusader's shows especially during the past few years, of their Bolero show, and of their espirit, I was gravely disappointed in the 2013 production for which I had great hope. It has lost any zest musically and visually. As the DCI anchors mentioned in the telecast, there is a suspicion that the venerable grey uniforms are but a placeholder until the Red and Black is gradually revealled. Right now the show theme is not apparent from the performance itself. Your spokesperson seemed as someone who believed his own myth that the theme was evident. The anchors had to ask him to explain what was going on as it wasn't obvious at all to someone with as much championship drum corps experience and success as Dennis Delucia (Bridgemen, Muchachos, Star of Indiana, etc.) For instance, if the program is Rise, why does the girl descend the staircase of rifles rather than climb the staircase which is off in the corner almost not visible from the judge's box??? True though, I have rarely been impressed by any Pemberton drill.

And I am definitely not the only poster who has cited the young girl's difficulties with her uniform. Others pondered whether there would be a 'wardrobe malfunction" similar to Janet Jackson and Jason Timberlake. To put her in a possible situation like that would be considered abuse in most educational settings or programs dealing with minors. I expected more class from BAC's front office.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 3

The whole show is above what it is being scored.

Edited by emc2

Just watched the shows on Fan Network. That's one of the kinder things that could be said about Cavaliers brass and visual performance. It was nasty.

That being said - they have a lot more potential out there than most of their peers in that group. The visual program design is heads above what they had last year. However, if their numbers are where they are with that sloppy a performance, no one should be resting easy above them. If they get it cleaned, and the kids in the hornline knuckle down on basics (like, er 'attacks'), they could end up surprising a lot of folks current sitting above them.

...and that's likely part of the plan... ph34r.gif

Far from it!

As a fan of the Crusader's shows especially during the past few years, of their Bolero show, and of their espirit, I was gravely disappointed in the 2013 production for which I had great hope. It has lost any zest musically and visually. As the DCI anchors mentioned in the telecast, there is a suspicion that the venerable grey uniforms are but a placeholder until the Red and Black is gradually revealled. Right now the show theme is not apparent from the performance itself. Your spokesperson seemed as someone who believed his own myth that the theme was evident. The anchors had to ask him to explain what was going on as it wasn't obvious at all to someone with as much championship drum corps experience and success as Dennis Delucia (Bridgemen, Muchachos, Star of Indiana, etc.) For instance, if the program is Rise, why does the girl descend the staircase of rifles rather than climb the staircase which is off in the corner almost not visible from the judge's box??? True though, I have rarely been impressed by any Pemberton drill.

And I am definitely not the only poster who has cited the young girl's difficulties with her uniform. Others pondered whether there would be a 'wardrobe malfunction" similar to Janet Jackson and Jason Timberlake. To put her in a possible situation like that would be considered abuse in most educational settings or programs dealing with minors. I expected more class from BAC's front office.

Seriously? Are you really going to blame the BAC corps director for an ill-fitting guard costume? As far as theme evolvement goes, NATURALLY not all the pieces and parts are in place at the very first show (which this was, for BAC). I would also point out that with the possible exception of Spirit, there wasn't a single corps in that show whose ideas seemed complete to me...it is early for everyone.

For the record, the young lady descends the steps after she HAS RISEN up...after all, she has to come back down somehow.

Finally, you referenced Hall of Famer Dennis Delucia's take..if my memory serves me right, didn't he say (not once but twice) Boston had come well-prepared, and wasn't one of his final comments something like he didn't understand Boston's score and placement?

I would invite you to watch the corps again. Perhaps the members and staff will work even harder than they presently are to restore your hope.

• Like 2

First show for them and quite possibly the first time she wore that outfit while doing that much movement. Everything stayed where it was supposed to in the end and Im sure its already fixed. Let it go.

• Like 4