It's a Blue Devils world...

[/size]

Crown is using voice because their show desib (EOTB for the football field) calls for it.

IMO it has nothing to do with BD or Cadets or -- for that matter -- Crown's own earlier use of voice.

The show material calls for it -- so it's in there.

Trying to suggest cause and an effect (BD12-->CC13) is just plain silly. If you listen to any of these designers talk about process, these ideas are often kicked around for many seasons before ripening into an actual show.

I really don't see anyone following the BD "formula" except BD.

As for Cadets not run&gunning, the MUSIC dictated that -- not some desire to ride BD's coat tails.

So CC are using voice because the musical piece and the design calls for it. And the other corps are using it.....because?? This is the point I made earlier, CC will be held to a different standard when it comes to the usual criticisms with avante guard design. A duck by any other name......

BTW, I love CC's show and don't think they or any corps needs to justify their choices of design.

• Like 6

So CC are using voice because the musical piece and the design calls for it. And the other corps are using it.....because?? This is the point I made earlier, CC will be held to a different standard when it comes to the usual criticisms with avante guard design. A duck by any other name......

BTW, I love CC's show and don't think they or any corps needs to justify their choices of design.

Really Plan?

Exactly what is the "different standard" being used?

Crown has consistently been "true" to their source material. (And by "true" I don't mean transcription true -- I mean true to the character of the original). IMO this is one of the defining characteristics of their style. ( Furthermore (again IMHO) it's one of the things that make them such a crowd favorite. )

One of EOTB's signature attributes is the voice parts. Why would it surprise anyone that Crown would use them?

I think you're trying to connect dots where none exist. I don't think this show is really a "departure" from anything for Crown. It's very much a "Crown" show. They are all over the map in terms of source material. Their approach (that piece X from composer Y will be very recognizable as Y's X ) has remained consistent regardless of genre (Rock, pop, symphonic, wind lit, whatever). I *do* think E=mc2 is particularly well put-together.

Edited by corpsband

1372285078[/url]' post='3274674']

I took 2 adult aged people in my group to their first show last year at one of the shows. They said the experience for them was great. They loved the precision they said, and were amazed at what was out on the field. They loved the Jersey Surf and thought they should have beat everyone else in the show. They could not understand why they finished next to last in the show. I attempted to explain it to them, but I'm not sure I was entirely successful. They said they did not understand the themes, nor familiar with some of the music. They said to me that if these talented groups played more longer playing music instead of running around the field so much they'd be a bigger crowd in attendance. I thought it was beneficial for me to see how some fresh eyes and ears looked at this for the 1st time. This were adults with kids themselves ( not in Corps ). Maybe if these were high school aged youth and in H.S. Band and going to their first show they might have had a completely different take, I don't know.

I think you hit on something here. IMO corps are creating shows with the judges sheet in mind, which is totally fine, but they are forgetting about the crowds. I took my GF to Atlanta last year and her favorites were Spirit and Cadets, and not because i marched in one of these, one she liked the Vegas stuff and the other she could recognize Christmas...DCI needs more VK and Bridgemen <(

• Like 1

Really Plan?

Exactly what is the "different standard" being used?

Crown has consistently been "true" to their source material. (And by "true" I don't mean transcription true -- I mean true to the character of the original). IMO this is one of the defining characteristics of their style. ( Furthermore (again IMHO) it's one of the things that make them such a crowd favorite. )

One of EOTB's signature attributes is the voice parts. Why would it surprise anyone that Crown would use them?

I think you're trying to connect dots where none exist. I don't think this show is really a "departure" from anything for Crown. It's very much a "Crown" show. They are all over the map in terms of source material. Their approach (that piece X from composer Y will be very recognizable as Y's X ) has remained consistent regardless of genre (Rock, pop, symphonic, wind lit, whatever). I *do* think E=mc2 is particularly well put-together.

And BD 2010 wasn't true to the source material ("City of Glass")? I just don't see that as a rational answer as to why E=MC2 has been received with very little criticism. If BD was doing that identical production, I guarantee that the usual dissenters on DCP would be lavishing BD with the usual vitriol....ruining drum corps, etc. Face it CB, and this may be a hard thing to take but.........we all love Crown.... sorry rolleyes.gif, and they're just not going to be scrutinized the way that BD would be for same thing. "Mom always liked you best" ($1 to Dicky Smuthers).

• Like 1

And BD 2010 wasn't true to the source material ("City of Glass")? I just don't see that as a rational answer as to why E=MC2 has been received with very little criticism. If BD was doing that identical production, I guarantee that the usual dissenters on DCP would be lavishing BD with the usual vitriol....ruining drum corps, etc. Face it CB, and this may be a hard thing to take but.........we all love Crown.... sorry rolleyes.gif, and they're just not going to be scrutinized the way that BD would be for same thing. "Mom always liked you best" ($1 to Dicky Smuthers).

Oh Plan.

In an activity that is so subjective, how can you say that Crown is given a pass compared to BD? I don't think the shows even compare and "voice" has been used by many corps, not just these two.

Your sensitivity as a BD honk is showing.

• Like 2

I think you hit on something here. IMO, corps are creating shows with the judges' sheet in mind, which is totally fine, but they are forgetting about the crowds. I took my GF to Atlanta last year, and her favorites were Spirit and Cadets, and not because I marched in one of these: one she liked the Vegas stuff, and the other she could recognize Christmas. DCI needs more VK and Bridgemen.

You seem to have been down-voted (fixed, for now at least) for suggesting that DCI would benefit from an infusion of entertainment similar to that provided by two corps that between them had seventeen (or eighteen) Finals appearances, four performances that scored 90 or better, one third-place Finals placement, and the love of a good portion of the audience. It's a strange world.

I just don't see that as a rational answer as to why E=MC2 has been received with very little criticism.

On behalf of fans everywhere, I sincerely apologize for not criticizing Crown as much as you want us to.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3

I also think BD is VERY true to Rite of Spring- it's Avante garde- intense- and tension filled

• Like 1

On behalf of fans everywhere, I sincerely apologize for not disliking Crown as much as you want us to.

blink.gif

This is going to be fun .......where to I suggest that you dislike Crown? Can I be any more plain?.....I love Crown and have since one of my favorite shows of all time..."Triple Crown". I am merely TRYING to point out that we (as self-made critics of the activity) give crown more "room" in terms of design than we do for BD. If anything, I guess I'm asking why BD isn't getting the same "room". That's all! I think we should all celebrate these two great corps for bringing something different to the field for our entertainment.