It's a Blue Devils world...

If we're only counting trophies in the case as the measure of success. I would look at merchandise sales and audience applause for my measure of success. Look at 2011. BD came out with a beautifully melodic show full of recognizable music. Didn't win. What do they come out with the next year? Harsh dissonance through most of the show. The design stuff doesn't seem to take not winning well

This year's musical approach is different from 2011 but the visual style (use of props) is very similar.

You don't need to be a mindreader to state that BD's design team knows drum corps audiences *and* has a pretty good idea of what will "play" and what will not. Here's what you've done ad nauseum:

O, woe is me

why will DCP not give BD

the love it truly deserves

It's just -- ridiculous.

I've been in many audiences who threw babies at BD. I've seen crowds literally run down to the bottom of the stands just to get their faces ripped off in the post-show encore because they couldn't get enough of that music during the show. Don't pretend you're the sole arbiter of BD fandom, Plan. You'd be sorely mistaken.

Woe? Me? ...... Whoah!

And I would never ask that question, CB. I know exactly why. There are thousands of fans across the planet that love BD.... year after year, and thousands that love there shows and designs, including designers. I am not an arbiter for BD at all, certainly no more than you as a CC fan for making your views known....that was an unnecessary thing to say, I'm just someone on DCP with a point of view that may be different than yours or others....but I assure you, I'm not alone.

This year's musical approach is different from 2011 but the visual style (use of props) is very similar.

I know. I mentioned the music though in my post in the way they approached the show differently

Throwing babies for BD? Hello, McFly! There is no chance of that, not until they are out of the medals for a few years...it's just the way it is.

Actually there were a lot of babies being thrown the years they won back in 1996, 1997 and 1999. I was there. I remember. I was one of the throwers.

I've seen crowds literally run down to the bottom of the stands just to get their faces ripped off in the post-show encore because they couldn't get enough of that music during the show. [/size]

I used to do that for BD's encores at the California shows. I'm probably a little more deaf now than I would be otherwise, but it was worth it. :smile:/>

I really liked their 2011 production.

Me too. The music was really great in that show. Still wish they had kept the original opening, the long build into the first impact was amazing.

Throwing babies for BD? Hello, McFly! There is no chance of that, not until they are out of the medals for a few years...it's just the way it is. They know it, we know it...so they just plow ahead with the best shows they can field and in ways that touch their own design bones. Now, if their designs were met universally with "what the hell is that?" and a loud thud in competition, they would do something else. But (as I have pointed out ad nauseum) BD's reception is amalgam of many things not all having to do with what's on the field. Also, you may want to claim to know what's in the mind of BD's designers (as many do around here) but to think they don't care about the audience is beyond inane.

This is by BD's choice. They've had plenty of years where they received both babies and medals. They have a very experienced design staff - if they desire babies to be thrown, it is certainly within their abilities to write an appropriate show.

Woe? Me? ...... Whoah!

And I would never ask that question, CB. I know exactly why. There are thousands of fans across the planet that love BD.... year after year, and thousands that love there shows and designs, including designers. I am not an arbiter for BD at all, certainly no more than you as a CC fan for making your views known....that was an unnecessary thing to say, I'm just someone on DCP with a point of view that may be different than yours or others....but I assure you, I'm not alone.

Lol.

So rest of DCP are not mind readers BUT ...

you sure as heck are?doh.gif

This what people try to explain to you OVER and OVER and OVER again.

You *don't* know. You're stuck in your tunnel vision scenario of BD against the world. It's kind of sad.

I'll say it one last time....

Before you ever knew about drum corps, there was plenty of ABBD around. But there were also plenty of fans who embraced BD because they loved the music. Many of those fans don't care for the musical product BD serves up now. And it has NOTHING at all to do with winning or not winning.

• Like 1

Sorry you (and someone else apparently) did not get the point of my post. I edited to use your terminology 'criticizing' rather than 'disliking' in case anyone else in the world would not have grasped the tongue in cheek nature of my statement.

I guess I just think it is kind of sad when someone has a complaint that another corps is not criticized ENOUGH. Even if there were a double standard, given that you seem to be saying the criticism is a really bad thing, I don't understand why you would see a problem with Crown (a corps you say you like) not getting more of it. Seems like you would be glad others do not have to endure it.

I thought that by mirroring the clearly negative aspect of your post it might help you see that your long time obsession with this issue might not be as healthy as you may assume.

This has nothing to do with Crown ...it's all about the double standard that exists on DCP whether you believe it or not. Why the hell would I want to encourage criticism of another corps....I'm the last person to criticize any corps, I just don't do it. These performers work too hard all year for the kind of thoughtless drivel that anonymous folks put out here and sometimes in the stands (at a distance). I was simply pointing out hypocrisy. And if "obsession" is presenting (IMO) a coherent point of view in a respectful (and sometimes humorous) way on a discussion board (admittedly elongated due to BD's current run of 6 years at 1st or 2nd)...I make no apologies and........I'm quite comfortable with my opinions... thanks for asking.