Evansville Oil & Lube

Awesome, Troop!

I really, really, really hope scores keep changing like this all season. Very exciting.

They called it.

([Edited out 20 min. later:] Pittsburgh show rained out too.)

Bummed.

Where did you get your information, and are you likely to trust that source again?

I saw the Troopers last night in Ohio and again tonight in Evansville (My hometown, by the way, so if anyone has anymore questions about our town, I can answer them. Oh, and by the way, we lean more towards Bob Evans with a little Topas as we have many Bob Evans restaurants and only one Topas restaurant). Anyway, I really am impressed by the Troopers. They are definitely a crowd favorite and they really got the crowd back into the show after the rain delay. They came out of a field house they retreated to during the storm and did a quick warm up on the field and did a great show. They have a very balanced, warm sound that alot of the other corps just don't have yet. It was great to see them place high tonight, they deserved it and I am now a big Troopers fan.

• Like 2

recap shows Color guard judge...

http://www.dci.org/s...64-86c38de69982

There is a color guard score in the recap. Read my entire post and then look at the recap again. The scores given for the color guard are an average of the other 4 captions judged.

Or an easier way to tell is to look at the color guard scores, and compare those to the overall scores each corps received. Strange judging night overall, but obviously the Troopers had a great night! This battle for the 9-12 spots in finals is going to be a huge battle all season long it looks.

Edited by MarchandPlay

Get it Madison!!! "Lock and Load" Gentlemen!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Is this the 1st time since 1982 that Troopers beat Blue Stars?

No. Troopers beat Blue Stars every time they met in division I for the remainder of that century. Their most recent previous victory against Blue Stars was in Mankato, MN, in 2002, so it has been awhile.

Thoughts from the Evansville show:

I wasn't really planning to do a review, so this is just what I can remember from the night.

First of all - GREAT CROWD!!! One of the best crowds I have ever been apart of. It was great to have so many people at this show that has been absent for 5 years. The show was basically brought back because of the work of two people. We need more people in the world like them.

Colts - It's really hard for me to remember much about the Colts as it was so long ago. I enjoyed them and thought it was an enjoyable show. Nothing really stuck out to me as overly good or bad. They seem to be doing well with what they have.

Very nice for the first corps off the line.

Intermission - Rain Delay - For quite some time Intermission was in 1st place at this show but luckily the storms cleared out and they finished in last place.

Troopers - WOW! WOW! Man....WOW! Best Troopers I have ever seen. Favorite show of the night. Standing Ovations from the whole crowd. Wouldn't it be nice if every corps had a show designed this well? Drum corps would have a lot more fans. I just loved everything about this show. Great brass playing with in my opinion the best core brass sound of the night. I would mic the duet at the end as it was hard to hear some of it because the corps was playing so loud. I am a fan and will be rooting for Troopers to make finals. I think they possibly could be better than the design team imagined and would maybe be nice for them to add a little more difficulty in the book as the season progresses.

Blue Stars - GREAT baritone solo!!! Loved it!!! Sadly, I didn't enjoy this show, it just didn't do it for me. They appear to have very good performers but I just didn't enjoy it. I was so hyped up after hearing the Troopers this one let me down. Electronics covered up the brass a lot from where I was sitting and too many electronic moments for me. I loved your 2008 show though. :) Sorry...

Crossmen - This was a love/hate show for me. I loved many things in this show, but whenever you tried to tell the story and the brass stopped playing I got bored. Some great brass playing here, I would like them to play more. Very nice arm dark sound in the ballad.

Spirit = POWER Holy Crap! Loudest corps of the night and it wasn't even close. A very entertaining and crowd pleasing show. Standing ovation! Some great brass playing with some very hard licks. If they can do these with a darker sound they will continue to rise in points. It would have been even more enjoyable had someone turned off the speaker that was not working well the whole show and if you cut out some of the electronics, some of them where not needed and took away from the show. One reason they are loud is because they park and bark quite a lot. They need to add some drill to a few of those standstills in order to move up or even stay where they are in the standings.

Madison - Another crowd pleasing show! Standing ovations all around. I feel they steadily improve each year and keep getting better an better. I don't feel this show really needs any of the narration and would be better without it. I also felt like there was too much time the brass wasn't playing between, percussion, narration, acting, solos, etc. I would add 16 measures of brass in a few places. Second trumpet soloist is flat every time I have heard him. The preshow and ending are by far the weakest parts of the show and the 2 measures of trumpets near the end where everyone else cuts out I just don't get that at all. It is not working, please add the whole corps in there or change that somehow. I think the show would be more effective if they didn't try so hard to tell the story, but it is early and they are very good. I don't think they have the talent to break into the top 6 yet, but a very solid 7-8 corps and if they keep improving maybe they can be as high as 6th. I think the trumpets playing with a softer darker sound in the difficult passages would help a lot.

Even with the rain delay a great show to attend all around. I enjoyed every group, and the crowd and myself definitely liked Trooper, Spirit, and Madison the best. I felt Troopers should have been much closer to 2nd then 4th however.

• Like 2

I still think its going to be between Blue Stars and Crossmen for12th. You can through away these scores since they don't make sense.

What doesn't make sense about them?