Bridgeport

Wow ... that last "big" Mummers involvement was around 1964 if I recall correctly ... the Barnum even had a separate Mummers field competition at Hedeges Stadium ... didn't know about the finance thing ... one or two may have shown up since then ... good stuff ... you from Bpt Guardling?

:-)

Hiya....tthe mummers were also a part of the festival back in the mid to late 80s...great entertainment but WOW a fortune..at least back then...maybe even they have felt the change of tides

Wow ... that last "big" Mummers involvement was around 1964 if I recall correctly ... the Barnum even had a separate Mummers field competition at Hedeges Stadium ... didn't know about the finance thing ... one or two may have shown up since then ... good stuff ... you from Bpt Guardling?

:-)

i know for sure on year it cost the Barnum committee in excess of 25 or 30 grand for them for the parade as well as hotels, transportation, and exhibition at the drum corps show...that may have been the last time they were in Ct.

Mid-1980s... might have been 1985... I attended the Barnum with some non-drum corps friends in the Bridgeport area whose daughter was involved in the opening ceremonies.

It was literally the first time I actually had watched the show from beginning to end as a spectator. I remember there was a Mummer's band as part of the opening festivities.

yep...and they played for quite some time....lol

yep...and they played for quite some time....lol

Yes, they did!!!

That opening ceremony was pretty cool... the Mummers, plus a helicopter landing on the field to deliver that year's Ringmaster for the weeklong Barnum festivities.

That year the Ringmaster was Victor Kiam, the CEO of the Remington electric-shaver company... the "I liked it so much, I bought the company!" guy.

Yes, they did!!!

That opening ceremony was pretty cool... the Mummers, plus a helicopter landing on the field to deliver that year's Ringmaster for the weeklong Barnum festivities.

That year the Ringmaster was Victor Kiam, the CEO of the Remington electric-shaver company... the "I liked it so much, I bought the company!" guy.

yep :smile:

john you have had your posts deleted you were so hateful. mine haven't been. and dude i haven't been hostlie. but this past few weeks you think your opinion is all that counts. i retired before you even got started . i know all about DCA and in case you don't know....it saved senior drum corps. had it not been formed they all would have been gone by 1970. don't try to school this old man.

as for the penalty. yeah it's stupid. but it's the rules. so you have to follow them i know fran won't do it again. he learns from his mistakes. that's what marching is all about. but i won't argue with you lets try and be civil. like i said i always valued your opinion. oh......and i don't do schtick. it's real baby..........LOL.

so because it's in the rulebook, it's God's will and should never be changed?

Look I agree the flag code must stay in there, even with fewer corps having one out there. But I'm sure several rules could be eliminated that few if any even know they are there and i bet several of the chief judges probablydon't even knowthem

• Like 2

Flag penalties are for violation of flag code. If anything, the use of flags intended to portray the US flag should be included..... you can't have a flag represent the US flag in a "presentation" situation and then (because it has a minor variation in design) allow waving, dancing, running, spinning, etc.......

Timing penalties are essential. Motion penalties makes sense only in a tick system.

We have to examine other rules to determine WHY they exist. The answer will tell whether they should still exist. If you no longer assess a penalty for dropped equipment, how can you allow a penalty for carrying a horn on the field with the percussion section, or whatever it was?

There are all sorts of rules, and non-rules. You can have a horn, or two, or three, standing in the pit. The boundary of the field is purposely violated by a horn line form to show that some designer can think "outside the box" (literally).

So let's look at what we need:

Flag code penalties for any flag that closely resembles a US flag....

A timing penalty. A motion penalty is even necessary as judging now takes care of that.

A boundary for the field and pit.

Instrumentation penalty (simple: disqualified for illegal use of an instrument)

My favorite would be a five point penalty for every staff member who accompanies a corps onto the stadium performance area. Do we really think the drum major can't get the corps on the field? That includes the pit equipment carts..... just watch a DCJ (Japan) corps come on the field (and they do it in less than 30 seconds for everything)......

Whew......... that felt GOOD !

Joe

• Like 2

Some of those are okay, some will never fly. But yes, I do agree that the rule book needs to be sat down with and hashed out for many reasons.

Hiya....tthe mummers were also a part of the festival back in the mid to late 80s...great entertainment but WOW a fortune..at least back then...maybe even they have felt the change of tides

We have felt it and maybe in a worse way. I've marched with a Mummers String Band for 40 years and "retired" to do drum corps last year with my son. It also checked something off my bucket list that I didn't do when I was in my 20's

It's amazing how much both of these organizations are in the exact same boat. We both have a decreasing amount of performing units form year to year. Dwindling fan base, less financial support from the city which provided almost 25% of what a group needed to get up the street. The struggle for corporate sponsors. The biggest difference is that DCA has a much more organized vision and management than what we have. Agree or disagree with the method, they are light years ahead of us in actually formulating a survival plan for the future.

And yes you are right about the hotels costs. Many of my mum friends, would not know what to do if they had to play Bridgeport, and sleep on a gym floor.

Some of those are okay, some will never fly. But yes, I do agree that the rule book needs to be sat down with and hashed out for many reasons.

i agree to liz. and really i don't get why frank gat that penalty. seems stupid.