Pacific Crest a Finalist?

It's still early in the season and tricky to compare scores from different shows, but PC's recent scores are right there with some finalist corps (their recent 70.3 is only .1 off Boston and .5 off SOA). Can they keep the momentum all the way to Finals night?

Personally I'd love to see them in the mix. They'd be a nice surprise from all the usual suspects

Edited by mhall1183
  • Like 3

It's still early in the season and tricky to compare scores from different shows, but PC's recent scores are right there with some finalist corps (their recent 70.3 is only .1 off Boston and .5 off SOA). Can they keep the momentum all the way to Finals night?

Personally I'd love to see them in the mix. They'd be a nice surprise from all the usual suspects

I doubt it, just based on the fact that the scores in SoCal seem to be about a 2-3 points too high right now. The Blue Knights were almost 7 points ahead of PC all last week at the same shows, but then they part ways and BK is only 1.8 points better a week later... Seems a little far fetched. I do like PC though, they were great. But they were definitely a ways behind BK.

Edited by Treefidy
  • Like 1

When you look at the east vs west show scores, I think it looks like a 2.5 point inflation out west. (Or 2 point deflation back east). It may be the fact that the Cali shows have a more complete panel than the east coast shows right now. I think CC, BD and Cadets are probably very tight when they all meet and Boston is probably 2.5 points ahead of PC.

Having said that, PC is a must see for me this summer!

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

The difficulty comes when we look at show dynamic. By that, I mean what corps are at any given show. Out west there are minimum WC corps to compare each other too. Last night we had last year's Top-2 corps, and then 2 mid-level Semifinalists. With that wide of a disperity, it's hard to really gauge not only if the actual numerical scores are valid (i.e. is Crown really 3+ points better than Cadets?), but where each corps would fall into place in a head-to-head meeting. It seems fairly typical that Pacific Crest, for example, gets a lot of buzz on the west coast as far as "is this the year for finals?!" before heading out to the first regional and falling to sub-Top 12. There is a TON of competition at that tier, and it is very difficult to try to make an accurate assessment right now, especially when not every show has full panels.

Last year at Semifinals PC was about 18 points off of Blue Devils, while 12th place Crossmen was roughly 14 points behind BD. Last night PC was about 11 points behind winner Carolina Crown. Last year at this same time PC was about 13 points behind winner Blue Devils, which seems a bit comparable to last night's spread (also of note, last year the Walnut show not only had Academy, to give another corps at PC's "tier" into the mix, but also an added Top 6 corps w/SCV in attendance to kind of even out scores/spreads). It should also be noted that last year's winner, BD, won with a 77.65 and PC scored a 64.2 (less than a point behind Mandarins) so scores across the board last year at this time were lower at Walnut.

One thing is for sure: Pacific Crest is better at this point of the season than they've been in late June the last several years. Only time will tell where PC eventually ends up, but right now they do seem poised at least to improve upon their placement from last season!

• Like 1

One thing for sure they are not beating BDB in percussion. Their hornline is really good though and that will take them far. Plus their guard is excellent as well.

One thing for sure they are not beating BDB in percussion. Their hornline is really good though and that will take them far. Plus their guard is excellent as well.

I actually think they can. PCs percussion is drastically improved over last year, you can tell they have a new percussion staff and it's doing wonders for them.

• Like 1

Last year at Semifinals PC was about 18 points off of Blue Devils, while 12th place Crossmen was roughly 14 points behind BD. Last night PC was about 11 points behind winner Carolina Crown. Last year at this same time PC was about 13 points behind winner Blue Devils, which seems a bit comparable to last night's spread (also of note, last year the Walnut show not only had Academy, to give another corps at PC's "tier" into the mix, but also an added Top 6 corps w/SCV in attendance to kind of even out scores/spreads). It should also be noted that last year's winner, BD, won with a 77.65 and PC scored a 64.2 (less than a point behind Mandarins) so scores across the board last year at this time were lower at Walnut.

Whereas this year, PC and Academy have met just once, at the season's very first show on June 19, where Academy led PC by 1.8 pts. Academy hasn't appeared in another competition since, and won't until next Saturday. PC won't see them again until Broken Arrow on July 17, almost a month after their previous meeting.

I think PC has a great show and obviously having a very successful year but there are too many comparisons even with other corps west coast vers east coast that shows the west coast scoring, as usual, is a bit high. I also agree with much of what has been said about full judging panels because the east coast show I was at last night I think would be very different result with full panel. However it sure seems they could be in the thick of the hunt for top 12 but looks like it will be a full party of corps in that spot.