New Haven Nook

Thanks for that. I always want to include the kids, because the genuinely enjoy it. We have a chat before the show about how everyone around us paid good money to see the show, so we can't disturb them. They are REALLY good about it (in fact (warning: bragging ahead) when I brought the three youngest to this same show last year, everyone around us complimented the kids on their behavior). Thing is, they love the stuff that daddy does (I march with an Alumni corps) but at the same time, they are kids. What was funny both last year and this was the askance looks I got from others in the section. You know, the "WHY is he bringing so many little kids to the show?" Then, when we leave, the tune has certainly changed. That said, if this were my only chance to see corps live this year, they would have been home. I just love to share the stuff I love with them, and they really seem to enjoy it.

Keep bringing the kids. Drum corps should be all aged entertainment and if you're sitting in the stands, an enthused crowd always makes it more enjoyable. I'm also a big fan of bringing kids to things like church, museums, concerts, and the like. Kids add life and often make us see things we'd otherwise miss.

Is this a first ? I don't ever recall scores being posted at local shows before the end of the shows. Years ago, at Prelims, Corps would get their scores after judges had tabulated them and given them to the runners to be posted. But I don't recall scores being posted like this at local shows. Anybody else know of local shows having scores posted like this ? I guess I'm ok with it, although fans at the show might have a different take, who knows.

I'm sure I will like seeing scores as they happen when I am at home and not at a show, but if I were at a show, I want full retreat, scores announced, encores, etc. Since I know I can't have it both ways, I'll opt of the second. Knowing drum corps results is not a life or death matter so we can wait.

Keep bringing the kids. Drum corps should be all aged entertainment and if you're sitting in the stands, an enthused crowd always makes it more enjoyable. I'm also a big fan of bringing kids to things like church, museums, concerts, and the like. Kids add life and often make us see things we'd otherwise miss.

Totally agree. Not nearly enough kids at drum corps shows these days (and this is from someone without kids). BRING THEM!!

The Yale University Marching Band was supposed to put on an exhibition at this DCI show in New Haven, Ct. But they had to cancel out at the last minute. The unit's ascots, knickers & top hats were not back from the cleaners in time. smile.gif

Actually Yale, only 1 of 8 colleges/universities in greater New Haven, is technically under suspension by the University for antics which ran afoul of propriety (think Princeton, Stanford types of band shows.)

Besides, the Yalies are still learning how to spell Quinnipiac.

If you want a good college marching band, try the University of New Haven program under past DCI drillwriter for Boston Crusaders and Crossmen, Cadet alum professor Jason DeGroff, on Cadets viz staff.

In three years he's taken a band which started with 19 members to 220 members doing corps style marching...and none of them are music majors because the school is known for forensic science and other things than ed.

Actually Yale, only 1 of 8 colleges/universities in greater New Haven, is technically under suspension by the University for antics which ran afoul of propriety (think Princeton, Stanford types of band shows.)

Besides, the Yalies are still learning how to spell Quinnipiac.

I recall a Yale MB show going back a few decades that was based on the Solar System. At one point, the announcer spoke about the band forming a "moon around Uranus". :cool:/>

The same show had a fabric 'tunnel' being held by what passed for a color guard/drill team, and the band proper formed a 'rocket ship' and went in and out of the tunnel, with suitable commentary by the announcer.

:tongue:/>

Oh, I certainly will. I sometimes think that I don't enjoy the shows that I bring them to because I am so worried about them upsetting others. Thing is, they are good kids, I probably don't need to worry so much. And they love the shows (in small bites, that is)

Kudos to the Boston Crusaders team for a very well run show, to the Southern Conn. staffers who were omnipresent, pleasant and most accommodating to the crowd and committee, and to the weather for holding off although it rained around the show site (go figure.) The place was packed for a potentially wet Sunday night.

History was made when Boston Crusaders with their young management team sold almost 400 general admission tickets on Group-on and still made some money. New fans, many of them kids whom Orlando guy cites.

• Like 1