Hostrauser's DCI Rankings - Week 1

You're certain, huh? :rock:/>

Well, here are my justifications for having PC above Academy in the rankings...

(1) Pacific Crest closed 4 points on Crown from Mesa to Riverside (15.3 behind Crown in Mesa, only 11.55 behind Crown at Riverside).

(2) Despite The Academy beating Crest by 1.6 at Mesa, two of the five caption judges had Crest higher.

(3) Off the three judges at Mesa who had Academy over Crest, Crest's biggest scoring improvements last week were in one of those captions (percussion).

COULD Academy still be better than Pacific Crest at this point? Sure. But certainly? :huh2:/>

(4) I can only go by what the judges give out. If you skip a week, you get the overall AVERAGE scoring increase for DCI each night. It's an average, which means some corps do better relative to that, and some do worse. Pacific Crest did better, vaulting them ahead of The Academy... for now.

(5) If you want a better ranking... PERFORM.

64ht2a.jpg

• Like 6

Well, here are my justifications for having PC above Academy in the rankings...

That's a most helpful explanation.

Just curious, Hostrauser. Have you ever tried to check previous years to see how accurate your predictions will be? It'd be cool to know! :-)

Just curious, Hostrauser. Have you ever tried to check previous years to see how accurate your predictions will be? It'd be cool to know! :-)

You shouldn't consider these predictions, really -- I think Hostrauser said that the scores themselves are normalized as if finals were days away -- otherwise, the rankings and score gradients just reflect his evaluation of what's happening right now.

You could, though, compare scores at a regional or at finals to Hostrauser's most recent previous rankings. Not sure if he has.

• Like 1

From early in the season, no, although a few years ago I checked my final rankings (the Monday of Finals week) and they were usually pretty close to the actual Finals positioning. But yeah, since the rankings are "rear-facing" it's dangerous to use them to predict the future. :cool:

From early in the season, no, although a few years ago I checked my final rankings (the Monday of Finals week) and they were usually pretty close to the actual Finals positioning. But yeah, since the rankings are "rear-facing" it's dangerous to use them to predict the future. cool.gif

Past performance may not be indicative of future results.
  • Like 1