Mile-High Mayhem!

I didn't predict they wouldn't make finals, I just said it was a possibility. Right now I would predict 11th, but still a month to go. I was excited to hear First Circle and it just let me down. Maybe I will like it better when I see it next time, this was my first viewing and it wasn't live. No way they have one of the best mello lines though, not even close.

You just said it wasn't live... But you can tell from a stream that the mello line isn't one of the best? Ok agree to disagree but they are not struggling... Not even close

• Like 2

Blue Knights are in great shape. Hardly at risk of missing finals.

If they can find a way to utilize the globe they have more effectively, consider me in love with this show. It just looks like they added it in at the last minute to try and get the theme across more. If they can work it in a little better and change the color, I might like it. That's my only complaint about this fantastic show. Guard silks and costuming are amazingly pleasing to the eyes, drill is great, and the music is refreshing.

• Like 1

The Blue Knights didn't add the ball in last minute. It's very simple.

NoBeginningNoEnd... circles... First Circle... Circle One... "This Bitter Earth"... The ball is a circle, AKA a globe... IE the earth from "This Bitter Earth".....

I know they didn't, it just appeared that way.

Edited by DrumManTx

But RachStar is easily the best show to get a new fan into the activity but we all ##### and moan about it. Oh... but we really want more entertaining shows. Hogwash... we want a reahashing of when we marched.

While I didn't march, what I want is not just a copy of the shows I first loved in 1989. Instead, I want from drum corps, as from all entertainers, is to be pleasantly surprised: to enjoy what I didn't know I was missing.

(Within limits. If I went to a drum corps show and one of the corps, say, presented a movie, or an orchestra concert, etc., no matter how brilliant and enjoyable and unexpected, instead of a corps performance, I would be disappointed. Just as I would be at a film festival if instead of a film I saw a great corps performance.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I'm not a purist about a lot of things, but this is taking the "Rite of Spring" too far for me. It sounds like a '70s game show.

I'll take "Makin' whoopee" for 200, Alex.

You mean "Art" (Fleming). Alex Trebek didn't start hosting Jeopardy until 1984.

Bk out of finals ehh? Wager? Beer? Bucket o beer? Keg o beer? I will buy you a brew if they're not in top 10. Better yet a shot or some of what you're smoking if not in single digits... Sorry I know you're entitled to your opinions but their mello line is one of the best out there this year. Don't worry people count them out year in and out... They're used to it

You can always count on people counting them out and you being overly defensive ;)

More often than not, I love BK's shows. This year is no different. This Bitter Earth is one of my favorite moments of the entire season. I just don't see the potential for them to make much of a move this year. I feel like 10-12 is a definite for them, with them battling it out with Spirit/Boston for 9, but I see no possibility for them finishing any higher.

...doesn't mean they'll be getting any less playing time on my iPod!

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 2

Yeah, that was High Country Brass. They formed 9 years ago.

9 years ago? Hmmmm... :shutup:

For those less familiar with High Country Brass specifically or All Age corps generally, it may be worth noting that according to CorpsReps, while HCB was founded in 2004, they've only been competing since 2008 (and with one year off since then).

And that HCB seems to have been rehearsing only two days a week for the past month: six hours on Sundays and 90 minutes on Wednesdays.

And that their first competition isn't until August 16 (i.e., six days after DCI's season ends).

I was at the show with my son who marched with BK last year. The weather was beautiful!! I'm not as drum corps wise as a whole lot of you, but I'll give you my impression as a layman:

Thunder and Cascades: Both very small corps. I was not really impressed with their shows. That's not to say I disliked them, though. I will always applaud because I appreciate the work they go through to put their show on the field. I hope they get bigger and better.

Troopers: I absolutely LOVED their sound. Their show had some great moments. I especially liked the throw back colorguard uniform of the girl carrying the American flag toward the end. Nice touch.

Academy: They sounded okay. Their drill needs a lot of work. I didn't really care for the cheesy parts...the guy with the fake french accent. I didn't like the sing a long at the end, though a lot of people in the crowd around me did sing along.

SCV: Good show...good music. They need a LOT of work on their drill. They use a lot of circles in their show and they did them badly. I especially liked the part where the soloist and the guard were on the field...but the rest went out of sight behind the skyline props and kept playing.

BD: I liked their show. They've cleaned up their movements with the "trees" a lot. Their show struck me as a combination of Dada and Rite of Spring. On a side note, my son...who will be a Junior Music Major this fall...was extremely upset with BD's rewrite of Rite of Spring...the music, that is. He said that, except for a few snippets from soloists, it didn't sound like Rite of Spring at all. It turned him off of their show altogether.

Crown: I watched a video early on of one of the California shows and I must say I wasn't impressed. Seeing it live...I am NOW impressed. Awesome show! I hereby predict they will be Champions.

BK: Loved their show! They did their circles MUCH better than SCV. I really like the way they separate, at times, the various voices of their brass line. I'm not sure I understand what the blue ball is for. I thought they should have gotten a higher score.

The encore: BK started with a front ensemble feature. It sounded beautiful. Thank you for that, BK. Then they proceeded to play almost all of their show music, starting with This Bitter Earth. If they had played the whole show in their stand still, I would have been extremely happy. They ended it with Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You. The crowd loved it, of course, and the corps really had fun with it.

Final thoughts: Last year at DATR was my first drum corps show and it was unfortunate that it got rained out. This year was GREAT!! It seems that starbursts are popular this year. I like BD's and I haven't seen Cadets' show this year, but I don't see any way Crown will be anything other than number one.

Edited by Granite
  • Like 3