Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

ya know, that first drum break is kinda long. also made me think of 04, the little drum break after the opening hit...but that one was a lot shorter

Coincidentally, this is my favorite SCV show since 2004.

• Like 1

just goes to show plan, read WHAT I say, not what you THINK I'm saying

tongue.gif/>

Uh oh.........Jeff's back! Listen Ream, tell that other guy to PM me.....he has his #### together! :tongue:/>

Just rewatched the show with my wife, a very casual drum corps fan who comes with me to a show once a year, but doesn't get obsessive about things like I do. But I thought her reactions were interesting. We're going to the DeKalb show on Sunday so I'm interested to see how her opinions change with a second take in a live venue.

She didn't enjoy Bluecoats, although she didn't have much to say about it other than disliking the voice patch/sample thing they had going on. She liked Blue Devils a little more but did make some crack about how it seemed like they were just running around with their horns down too much of the time, but that she liked it when they were playing. When Cavies came on she said "Oh! This is the first one that feels like a drum corps show." She ended up enjoying Cavaliers, even though she tries not to like them because of the boys-only policy. Last Cavies show she liked was 2010.

She liked Phantom pretty well, particularly the visuals and I think she liked Cadets but didn't say much about it. She really enjoyed SCV of course, but I think Crown was her favorite, despite her being prepared not to enjoy it since she generally dislikes Philip Glass and I had warned her about Einstein on the Beach. She said she didn't care for the love story narration, but that "I hate to say this, but I *really* liked the counting." She was aghast at Crown's uniforms at first but decided they really worked once she saw them in motion and she specifically said she liked Crown's drill.

After rewatching everything myself with the different mindset I get from watching with casual fans, I thought Crown and SCV had the best shows from that perspective by far--both corps just exuded energy throughout. I do like Blue Devils quite a bit more than my wife did, but I think SCV may be shaping up to be my favorite show this year.

• Like 1

Here's some comments from my wife last night...

"What the HEll are the shadows on the field?"

"No, camera!...go upstairs for the parade...come on"

"There's a guy there now...oh nice...wtf?"

"The bases of the poles...so cool...who thinks of this ****?"

"I don't like the idea of solos into mics, but that is really cool"

"Thank You Sir! May I Have Another!"

"Memory game, really? I would rather see INT"

"Oh my gawd...there he is!"

"That was beautiful"

"Those uniforms are hideous"

"oh like I wanna see that!"

"That's not fair, it's like they have a met going with all that counting"

"Oh my god, just shoot me now John"

"Well, if a weird show has to win I hope it isn't this one!"

"Will you please line up those **** boxes in the right places...oh, and now you just leave them like that?"

...and a perfectly timed, but I think too early in the show...

"VANGUARD!"

• Like 3

After watching it again I have to say that Cadets should have won with SCV in second and Crown then BD. BD could have done better but really seemed to have a bad night. Crown is really good and their hornline is amazingly clear but I really don't think their music is very demanding as compared to Cadets.

I personally like the BD shoe the best but I am really into out there stuff anyway.

BDB has the better battery of the family IMO. Watch out because they are putting some hurt on this year!

After watching it again I have to say that Cadets should have won with SCV in second and Crown then BD. BD could have done better but really seemed to have a bad night. Crown is really good and their hornline is amazingly clear but I really don't think their music is very demanding as compared to Cadets.

I personally like the BD shoe the best but I am really into out there stuff anyway.

BDB has the better battery of the family IMO. Watch out because they are putting some hurt on this year!

That is absolutely incorrect and that is not even a matter of opinion. In fact, I believe the ONLY reason Cadets aren't CLEARLY in 2nd and pushing for 1st is because their book is NOT hard enough for them. Cadets are capable of so much more, but the demand is not in the same league.

I was there last night and it wasn't disappointing at all!Everything was great. I really liked the bluecoats, but their new uniform makes them look shorter for some reason.Crown was amazing....didn't even noticed the narration in the ballad because I was so enraptured by the outstanding brass sound.Cadets had an amazing loud brass sound.My aunt thought they should have got second, ordinarily I would agree, but there were a few little hiccups, only a few but those little things add up.Great job all around last night!

spitting.gif

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Yep. I wish Crown weren't using any sampled narration. But to be fair the only samples are the droning 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (which in the pre-show are doubled by the corps members), and "Bern, 1905" (which makes zero sense not to use a live member for). The singing during the drum feature and the narration in the ballad are performed live.

No way the CC singing during the drum feature is live. It looks & sounds lip synced.

I cant believe we are talking about this in the Drum Corps activity.

• Like 1