Has any corps been busted for this?

SCV had no idea they had overage members. Hell, even the US government didn't know those kids had forged documents. When the Eastern corps did it, they had full knowledge of what they were doing so got punished for it.

You know - I find I generally agree with your posts. On this one we will respectfully part company.

All the DQ stories are the blight of the DCI history.

Ever want to take a wild guess at how many corps NEVER marched an over-age kid?

If you DQ'ed Muchachos, you DQ SCV - for me, it's that simple, and I don't care if the kid was produced in a lab on Jupiter.

• Like 1

From the Bayonne Brisgemen History page...

I was only 11 when I saw this show live with my dad, and I thought it was the coolest drum corps show I'd ever seen. I have to believe they would've taken the whole enchilada, were it not for the controversy.

In 1977, Bridgemen were the corps I loved to hate, which means I secretly loved them but would never admit it. You see, I was a diehard fan of 27th, BAC, and North Star, and in 1977 Bridgemen gave them a run for their money. I'm sure I was also rather pleased about the disqualification. Of course time changes everything. I miss the Bridgemen. Each time I see the alumni corps I get excited. I appreciate the Bridgemen's contribution, but most of all when I see the 1977 Legacy DVD and see the Bridgemen perform, knowing how impressive they were that year whether I admit it or not, I see a group of disappointed young people who look crushed, and I feel sorry about a situation that for the kids, was not their fault.

Now as far as winning the title, Bridgemen did beat Phantom early in the season at CYO and DCI East, but closer to finals they placed second to Phantom. They had not faced Blue Devils or SCV until finals. Blue Devils were undefeated that year, so I think it's safe to say they may have placed third if the controversy had not arisen, perhaps second, but I'm not sure they would have won.

I know for a fact that there is a very important staff member for a Top 12 corps that marched overage for another very important and popular Top 12 corps. I won't say who it is, but this happened in this Millennium so I know it isn't just ancient history.

I think it's probably much harder today to do this, but it's still possible if you have the means to do so.

I believe it.

While I was never able to verify, I do know of one open class corps where members have claimed that there were overage marchers, also in this millennium.

Oh man did you just open a can of worms...

Do the names Muchachos, Crossmen, or Bridgemen ring any bells?

Of I guess for how DCI monitors I could throw in a Midwestern corps' name too...

Exactly. This is a horse that has been beaten TO DEATH on these forums. Simply search "disqualification" or many other words, and you WILL get many, many posts. It's ancient history at this point.

In 1977, Bridgemen were the corps I loved to hate, which means I secretly loved them but would never admit it. You see, I was a diehard fan of 27th, BAC, and North Star, and in 1977 Bridgemen gave them a run for their money. I'm sure I was also rather pleased about the disqualification. Of course time changes everything. I miss the Bridgemen. Each time I see the alumni corps I get excited. I appreciate the Bridgemen's contribution, but most of all when I see the 1977 Legacy DVD and see the Bridgemen perform, knowing how impressive they were that year whether I admit it or not, I see a group of disappointed young people who look crushed, and I feel sorry about a situation that for the kids, was not their fault.

Now as far as winning the title, Bridgemen did beat Phantom early in the season at CYO and DCI East, but closer to finals they placed second to Phantom. They had not faced Blue Devils or SCV until finals. Blue Devils were undefeated that year, so I think it's safe to say they may have placed third if the controversy had not arisen, perhaps second, but I'm not sure they would have won.

Even that particular history page is not 100% accurate. I have heard the entire story, and I believe it. Folks, the rules, as they were back in the day, were not as cut and dried as you may imagine now. Did corps take advantage? Almost assuredly. That said, I have a feeling that a lot of folks will never know the whole story. Like I said above, this is really old news, and should probably not be discussed, unless you want yet another flame war post.

• Like 1

SCV had no idea they had overage members. Hell, even the US government didn't know those kids had forged documents. When the Eastern corps did it, they had full knowledge of what they were doing so got punished for it.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I don't know you, but I would be willing to bet that you were not even born when, say, the Bridgemen were DQ'd in 77. I was, although I wasn't involved. However, I am a current member of the Bridgemen Alumni, and I know full well what happened that year. The corps THOUGHT that they were playing "by the rules". Unfortunately, they were not (in the strictest interpretations of said rules). Almost 40 years later, it's still a pretty sensitive topic, so unless you know EVERYTHING that happened back then, perhaps you should not comment on it.

• Like 2

This is exactly what I am talking about. I don't know you, but I would be willing to bet that you were not even born when, say, the Bridgemen were DQ'd in 77. I was, although I wasn't involved. However, I am a current member of the Bridgemen Alumni, and I know full well what happened that year. The corps THOUGHT that they were playing "by the rules". Unfortunately, they were not (in the strictest interpretations of said rules). Almost 40 years later, it's still a pretty sensitive topic, so unless you know EVERYTHING that happened back then, perhaps you should not comment on it.

No, I wasn't alive back then. I was commenting on the SCV situation, which I do know a fair amount about. All that I know about the Eastern corps and their histories is what I glean from here. Sorry it's such a sensitive subject, I didn't know it. Still don't know why this subject gets brought up so often. Thought everyone would have moved on by now, or gotten all of the info out of it that there is to get