Has any corps been busted for this?

Funny how some who speak of BITD as the epitome of drum corps fail to remember some of these inequities of the past.

I've never met these people. So I really can't comment on your experiences with these alleged people from BITD. Everyone that I know freely admit ( for just one example ) that todays marchers are much more civil toward one another in other Corps than they used to be toward marchers in other Corps... So I really don't know what or whom you might be meeting with from BITD that don't see both the good and the bad changes ( in their view ) from BITD to today. Of course, the BITD crowd naturally enjoy their version of shows and Corps from back then. I suspect that if DCI uses woodwinds down the road, that today's marchers and fans of today DCI Corps will pine for the day when flutes and saxophones wern't utilized. But I would expect them to acknowledge the " inequitues " of today ( d G7 scheme ring a bell for you and others ? ) with what we might see in 3-4 decades hence too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I've never met these people. So I really can't comment on your experiences with these alleged people from BITD. Everyone that I know freely admit ( for example ) that todays marchers are much more civil toward one another in other Corps than they used to be toward marchers in other Corps... So I really don't know what or whom you might be meeting with from BITD.

Ughh fighting in the lot.

Marching "age outs"? How does DCI monitor this? I do not remember when I marched being asked to provide proof of age, maybe I did, but don't recall that.

Someday when you have the time, go to the historical section & search 1975 Muchachos (quite the story - including a murder & a former member central to the overage charge being convicted of impersonating a gynecologist. I am not making this up).

And also look at this:

http://www.bridgemen.com/History70s.html

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Ughh fighting in the lot.

Sometimes a glare would work just as well too.

I told the story on here before about the time a Drum Corps chased some lingerers from the H.S. football team off the H.S. field so the Corps could practice at their allotted time.

With dwindling membership and kids staying home unemployed until 25+ I wonder why they haven't raised the age limit yet.

... haha... oh Gawd, I got no comment on that, cowboy.

• Like 2

With dwindling membership and kids staying home unemployed until 25+ I wonder why they haven't raised the age limit yet.

Some of us 20 somethings are happliy employed - it's just anything worth living in is out of our means. That or we are waiting to close on a condo :)

• Like 2

With SCV '89, the stories I've heard from members that year was that it was right before Prelims, not Finals.

That's what I've heard also. I remember a DCP discussion about the incident (which means it was sometime in the past four years) in which some SCV '89 members offered their recollections, which indicated that Royer was indeed taken completely by surprise. Even if DCI required SCV to forfeit all previous 1989 competitions, the only result would be SCV going on earlier in Prelims, right? Maybe that would have led to them getting a lower score and earlier start in Finals (and thus perhaps to not winning Finals), maybe not. Phantom's beautiful show was highly regarded too (it ended up getting a second-place score that would have been first place in any previous year) and their winning it all for the first time also would have been a salable Cinderella story.

That's what I've heard also. I remember a DCP discussion about the incident (which means it was sometime in the past four years) in which some SCV '89 members offered their recollections, which indicated that Royer was indeed taken completely by surprise. Even if DCI required SCV to forfeit all previous 1989 competitions, the only result would be SCV going on earlier in Prelims, right? Maybe that would have led to them getting a lower score and earlier start in Finals (and thus perhaps to not winning Finals), maybe not. Phantom's beautiful show was highly regarded too (it ended up getting a second-place score that would have been first place in any previous year) and their winning it all for the first time also would have been a salable Cinderella story.

I'm not sure how it would have worked out. I mean, even with two holes in the drill, they still got the highest score in DCI history at the time. It must have been earlier in the week, because watching the videos, you can see that the percussion drill is mostly rewritten to close the hole, since it's not hard to adjust a few people over.

I just wonder if they had DQd SCV, how would the members of Phantom felt? Knowing that their main competition had been knocked out because of members cheating the system?