Has any corps been busted for this?

For further perspective, when the NCAA is informed by a school that they unknowingly utilized ineligible players in NCAA competition that season, and the school voluntarily informs the NCAA, the school is always made to forfeit all the games that they utilized... even 1... ineligible player in. The school also receives fines payable to the NCAA, and even prohibition of playoff participation. To the NCAA, " not knowing " before the rules, is no excuse. Whether the ineligible player was utilized unknowingly or not by the school is of little to no concern to the NCAA when they level sanctions, fines, and penalties to the school, team, and its Coaches for its use of ineligible player(s) in competition.

Also for perspective, the NCAA rules infractions board is inconsistent at best, definitely gives preference to certain programs and is definitely not relevant to DCI in the 80's

• Like 3

I just wonder if they had DQd SCV, how would the members of Phantom felt? Knowing that their main competition had been knocked out because of members cheating the system?

Probably the same way Wisconsin team & fans felt winning the Big 10 tournament while Ohio State (who had beaten Wisconsin & had the best record in their division) was bowl-ineligible and had tOSU been bowl eligible Wisconsin would not have gone to the Big 10 tournament, let alone won it. That is to say, I'm sure Phantom would not have minded too much :satisfied:

so unless you know EVERYTHING that happened back then, perhaps you should not comment on it.

So, you're saying we should close DCP or not allow 99.9% of poster to comment on anything other than "best 27th place corps with grey slacks" type threads :tongue:

• Like 2

Thought everyone would have moved on by now, or gotten all of the info out of it that there is to get

I see by your post count you're not new to DCP, but I'm confused why you would make such a stipulation that posters would move on from ANY topic :tongue:

• Like 2

I see by your post count you're not new to DCP, but I'm confused why you would make such a stipulation that posters would move on from ANY topic :tongue:/>

I'm an optimist. I'm kind of assume people can mature and move on from topics that have been beaten to death, but then I see the show thread from last night has devolved into a complaint-fest about narration, and how the G7 is evil. DCP as usual. Never let anything go

• Like 3

I marched junior corps when I was 25

I was helping instruct a very small corps and the drum major got violent ill throwing up all afternoon. We discussed our options and some how I was convienced to be drum major for the night.......wait, WHAT ? Well, I was the youngest staff member who had been a drum major and I was a band director.

The embarassment of wearing an aussie hat 5 sizes too small ( dumped after the salute ), black socks as shoes a silk blouse 3 times to large and womans streach pants that were 8 inches too short and you can picture it. I will say that while people pointed at me, no one laughed realizing what was going on.

The judges I knew could not help themsevels but at least laughed behind their clip boards.

Since we were going to be in last place and all the other small corps there understood the problem, no other corps there would file a protest.

I just didn't like being announced as Laura Perez as drum major.....full beard and all.

And now, you know the rest of the story

sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do

• Like 2

Not sure when draft ended but mandated registering for the draft stopped between roughly 1975-1978. Last draft I know for sure was 1972 as rememebr the numbers listed in the paper. Still had Canadian corps touring after that for a while.

LOL - know for sure you didn't have to register if born 1957..... :cool:/>

Interesting, considering I had to register on my birthday in 1985.

Also for perspective, the NCAA rules infractions board is inconsistent at best, definitely gives preference to certain programs and is definitely not relevant to DCI in the 80's

Its a difference without a distinction, imo.

Are you saying that the application of inquiries, investiogations, rules, DQ rules, etc are applied in an established protocol method in DCI without consideration of political influences, or the people involved ? I'd beg to diifer with you on this, if thats what you believe.. Ad if you are stating that the NCAA gives " preferences to certain programs ", but that DCI has not in the past given similar " preferences ", then you are simply mistaken on this. The DCI never investigated SCV for overage marchers in 1989. They simply took the word of their Corps Director on the use of the Corps overage MM's and that was that. If you believe that DCI would have accepted the explanation of a lower placing DCI Corps without a proper inquiry and /or investigation, then we simply disagree on why in was in DCI's interest to accept the word of the overage MM's in SCV for that entire season without doing any further inquiries on the matter at all. There is NO youth sports group, at ANY level, that I am aware of that either now or in the past that permits a team to knowingly or unknowingly utilize ineligible players without some level of sanctions, fines and/ or penalties imposed once that info comes to their attention. NONE. Can you cite a single one ?

• Like 1

Interesting, considering I had to register on my birthday in 1985.

IIRC anyone born between 1957-1960 hit the period when manditory registration was not required. If born 1961 or later, manditory registration was re-instated but no draft.

Mainly remember because of an argument between my mom and I on the matter. Ended up calling <forget name of the agency> and asking. Very nice lady on the phone said "No, you don't HAVE to register.. but as long as you're on the phone." I thanked her and hung up quick..... no caller ID at the time. :thumbup:/>

Irony was my one college roomie was 20 days older than me and enlisted in the Army for the GI bill, so got to hear the other extreme. Out of 50+ people on our dorm floor there were only 3 over 21 so... ah.... we spent time at local watering holes. PO'ed the dorm head whe he found out he couldn't bust us for being a bit blitzed coming into the dorm. "Check yer rules man, we can't drink in the dorm, we can't have booze in the dorm, doesn't say #### about being drunk in the dorm *hic*". Then he threatened to call our folks and asked if we could be there when he called. We wanted to her our dads give him Hades for calling.... :devil:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

All that I know about the Eastern corps and their histories is what I glean from here.

I hear you, but if all you know is what has been on DCP, you probably shouldn't say "When the Eastern corps did it, they had full knowledge of what they were doing so got punished for it." That was the bit that upset me a little.

Sorry it's such a sensitive subject, I didn't know it.

No worries. I was probably a bit dickish about it last night, and for that I apologize.

Still don't know why this subject gets brought up so often. Thought everyone would have moved on by now, or gotten all of the info out of it that there is to get

Yeah, I guess that's kinda more where I was coming from. Almost anything that anyone would want to know about ALL of the DQs, including so many different sides to the stories, is available through some searching of these forums.