Marvelous Minneapolis Matchup

Strauss and Mahler use dissonance? I don't really hear it as much as Stravinsky-- the three do make up some of my favorite composer in my favorite time period. I would love links to Strauss plus dissonance. Sounds tasty.

Sadly, I wouldn't say Mahler was "accepted" by 1913. His work didn't really become popular until mid century when Bernstein reintroduced it to the world. Now he is know for having some of the best symphonies ever, huh?

Look up Strauss' opera Salome. Lots of dissonance in there. The whole opening is tri-tones apart. There are others, but I'll have to do some more digging through my library

Stravinsky did use a lot of dissonance in his music, he also worked a bit with Schoenberg, and outlived the Romantic period by long enough to move into the 20th century musical genres we're more used to.

Depends on your viewpoint. There is a lot of evidence that Mahler was well-received and very popular in his time, after his First Symphony. By the time of his death in 1911, he was a very public figure in New York, and his symphonies did well. Yes, there was a re-emergance in the back half of the 20th century, but he was accepted and appreciated in his own time. His 2nd and 6th symphonies are still high on my list of best ever.

If you are interested, I would suggest picking up, "The Rest Is Noise" by Alex Ross. Great look at music in the 20th century

Edited by fsubone

The interior of that drum corps is fine. The staff has experienced adversity before, bet on it. Is there anyone on these boards who hasn't? I predict a bounce-back...those kids are made of stern stuff.

The kids are ready to make it. The new staff consisting of Marc Sylvester, a "Hall of Fame Member" joined the Colts this year as their Drill Writer/Program Coordinator, he brought with him some very talented staff members. I think the Colts have tremendous potential and are ready to get on it.

I'm not sure what happened tonight but I'm as shocked as many others on here. They've been consistently scoring high in Visual, I'm at a loss about the scores tonight. I can only imagine how both the kids and the staff must feel right now. As far as keeping corps in their place, I don't have solid answers but I do question it.

Colts have been holding their own and as I questioned in another thread, "Why were some corps fans so offended when the Colts were scoring that high and coming close to them"? They called foul even though they hadn't even seen the Colts show; it's kind of sad really because the recaps, up until tonight, showed them rising with the rest.

I'm hoping for a bounce back but I'm sure a lot of people have to pick themselves up first, it was kind of like a sucker punch.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 1

Look up Strauss' opera Salome. Lots of dissonance in there. The whole opening is tri-tones apart. There are others, but I'll have to do some more digging through my library

Stravinsky did use a lot of dissonance in his music, he also worked a bit with Schoenberg, and outlived the Romantic period by long enough to move into the 20th century musical genres we're more used to.

Depends on your viewpoint. There is a lot of evidence that Mahler was well-received and very popular in his time, after his First Symphony. By the time of his death in 1911, he was a very public figure in New York, and his symphonies did well. Yes, there was a re-emergance in the back half of the 20th century, but he was accepted and appreciated in his own time. His 2nd and 6th symphonies are still high on my list of best ever.

If you are interested, I would suggest picking up, "The Rest Is Noise" by Alex Ross. Great look at music in the 20th century

I will definitely listen to it! When I think Strauss I think of his Oboe Concerto, Til Eulenspiegel and Death and Transfiguaration (which may have a little dissonance)-- my favorite concerto and tone poems ever written.

I am not too familiar with Shoenberg's work but I certainly associate him and Stravinksy with 20th century whereas I associate Mahler and Strauss with the romantic period although some bleedage make occur.

I guess I did overlook some period of his life where his symphonies were making noise. It would have been more appropriate for me to say that his popularity wasn't truly what it deserved to be until the 50s/60s. His 3rd and Das Lied von der Erde are my personal favorites.

I will definitely listen to it! When I think Strauss I think of his Oboe Concerto, Til Eulenspiegel and Death and Transfiguaration (which may have a little dissonance)-- my favorite concerto and tone poems ever written.

I am not too familiar with Shoenberg's work but I certainly associate him and Stravinksy with 20th century whereas I associate Mahler and Strauss with the romantic period although some bleedage make occur.

I guess I did overlook some period of his life where his symphonies were making noise. It would have been more appropriate for me to say that his popularity wasn't truly what it deserved to be until the 50s/60s. His 3rd and Das Lied von der Erde are my personal favorites.

i can agree with your assessments. Another reason I can look to Strauss and dissonance is the fact that he lived until 1948, so lived through and wrote through the periods of harsh modern music. Most of what Strauss and Mahler did was based in the Romantic period, although both dabbled a bit in modern music. I mean, any composer adapts and tries new things during their time, or else they risk getting stale. Death and Transfiguration is a great piece of music, but Strauss's operas after 1900 did dive into a bit more dissonance and strange sounds and subject matters based on his interest in Nietzsche. Salome opens up with a clarinet solo, going up a scale. It starts in C#major, and halfway through switches to G major. So tri-tones start up in the very first notes of the piece. Salome almost caused riots when it premiered as well, because of the extremely dark subject matter

Mahler did become much more famous when Bernstein brought his music back, but he certainly wasn't ignored. He could have been much more famous, but he was living in a time of huge musical giants, so people could only get so famous. Even though Wagner was put up to a God-like standard during the time frame, and into the 20th century.

So you're saying that there is some sort of DCI-wide conspiracy that dictates specific corps be in one range, while other corps be kept "down" so as to keep them out of the spotlight. I would LOVE to hear your reasoning, as well as specific examples of this. There are so many examples of a corps excelling in the competitive ranks or taking based solely on the merits of their show design & performance.

* Carolina Crown was never a Top 6 finisher until 2007, and they rose to a first-time-ever Top 3 finish in 2009. They went literally from "never finishing in Top 6" to "contending for a Championship" in 12 months!

* Boston Crusaders had NEVER made DCI Finals until 1999, jumping from 15-9th in just a season! They went from never a finalist to Top 10 "overnight." Then they jumped into Top 5 the following year!

* Cavaliers had an incredible run of success, placing out of the Top 3 only twice from 1998-2011, winning five DCI Titles in that period. Last year, they had a poor show with not-so-great execution and dropped from 4th - 8th place.

Those are just what I thought of immediately, I'm sure there are many more (like, Star making Finals their first year of existence). There are so many other points to convey about how ludicrous your assertion is, but before I spend more time I'd first like to hear your logical argument, complete with evidence.

I don't think there is a conspiracy, I think there is getting a corps to prove itself on the field enabling their recruiting to span out. You're absolutely correct about BAC they turned it around and have been a force to be reckoned since '99. The Blue Knights placed 6th in 2000 but didn't even make finals in 2001, they reorganized.

Carolina Crown, wow, they came into Division 1 and showed everyone they meant business and have gone straight to the top. I like to think of them as one of the best examples of what a corps can do with the right staff, organization and recruitment. I have nothing but respect for Carolina Crown and the progress they've made and I think they are a great example of how a corps can move up the corps chain.

After reading my last couple of posts I realize I have gone into a drum corps coma and am babbling, sorry. :sleeping:

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 2

I'm shocked that I am saying this, but The Cadets show is quickly overtaking SCV for my favorite show this year. First time I can say that in a long time. I hope it isn't a fluke. They are amazing this year.

You realize that PC and Mandarins' scores push Xmen down into 16th, which means they could conceivably go on in 18th in San Antonio...

And yes, that isn't right.

(And yes, I'm SO HAPPY that Troopers are still going to be in the 13-15 range now. I was terrified all day.)

San Antonio lineup is on DCI.org. Crossmen go on right after PC. Troopers follow Crossmen.

San Antonio lineup is on DCI.org. Crossmen go on right after PC. Troopers follow Crossmen.

Whew. I still maintain that my logic was sound. Last year DCI announced which shows counted towards San Antonio and my original assumptions were correct based on those facts.

'gratz, Xmen. I was ready to fight alongside you.

Recaps a bit wierd. Crown my favorite show right now losing ground quickly to BD.. Cadets my favorite corps needs to do something with the Music Analysis section. Keep getting dumped there with SCV up their tail.

One show isn't quick, and one 5th place M.A. score isn't "keep getting dumped". We'll see.