Marvelous Minneapolis Matchup

Crown - Talented corps. Odd show. Boring show. Loved the tag of the music from The Abyss.

Blue Devils - Talented corps. Odd show. Boring show. The field looked like a ring toss game. A few super awesome jazz chords.

Cadets - Talented corps. Couldn't help but think of '99 SCV and '93 Star. The guard looked like a container of brightly hued Tic-Tacs.

SCV- Talented corps. Awesome uniforms! The '89 Cadets still can't be surpassed in the Les Mis department. thumbup.gif

Phantom Regiment - A field of lack luster Storm Troopers. laugh.gif Very boring show.

Bluecoats - I like the uniforms. Disliked the show. I'm just into small town Americana themes. Not a fan of the bleachers on the field.

The Madison Scouts - Boring. For all this "reinventing" the Scouts brand; there is nothing exciting about it. They are doing the same schtick from years ago when Stewart was at the helm.

The Cavaliers - Another case of "oh how the mighty have fallen." The drumline is their lone bright spot. Boring show.

Boston Crusaders - I really, really wanted to like this show. The entire gray to red thing wasn't as exciting as everyone made it out to be. SCV's tunnel is still way more "Ooo and Ahh" inducing than what Boston did; and that was way back in '85 and '86. thumbup.gif

Blue Knights - Boring. A return to body work for the sake of body work, silly corps proper skipping and flailing about, looking like the early '90s Glassmen. The voice effects overwhelmed the music.

Spirit - Should have been beat by the Blue Stars. A yawner of a show. For a corps that's trying to include a touch of the old Spirit, they are missing the boat. If they really want to grab the crowd while playing something classic; they should play thier '83 opener "Brothers of Bop." I'd welcome that back in a heartbeat from Spirit!

Blue Stars - 99.9% awesome! Best uniforms! Great show; classic in styling and, yet, fresh and new. Very exciting. The flags need a lot of attention. The gap between them and the corps below them has widened. They should and deserve to be ahead of Spirit and very, very close to the Boston Crusaders.

Crossmen - This show reminded me of thier '06 production. It's a jumbled mish mash of tunes. I'm all for a great variety of different music; but the theme just isn't putting them all together. Jazz it up, next year, Crossmen!

Troopers - Welcome back! I would have liked to see them with the navy blue jacket they were considering; pretty cool, uniform, however. This show brought back memories of the '80s Troopers.

...I didn't see the rest of the corps.

Cool story bro! w00t.gif

Crown - Talented corps. Odd show. Boring show. Loved the tag of the music from The Abyss.

Blue Devils - Talented corps. Odd show. Boring show. The field looked like a ring toss game. A few super awesome jazz chords.

Cadets - Talented corps. Couldn't help but think of '99 SCV and '93 Star. The guard looked like a container of brightly hued Tic-Tacs.

SCV- Talented corps. Awesome uniforms! The '89 Cadets still can't be surpassed in the Les Mis department. :thumbup:

Phantom Regiment - A field of lack luster Storm Troopers. :laugh: Very boring show.

Bluecoats - I like the uniforms. Disliked the show. I'm just into small town Americana themes. Not a fan of the bleachers on the field.

The Madison Scouts - Boring. For all this "reinventing" the Scouts brand; there is nothing exciting about it. They are doing the same schtick from years ago when Stewart was at the helm.

The Cavaliers - Another case of "oh how the mighty have fallen." The drumline is their lone bright spot. Boring show.

Boston Crusaders - I really, really wanted to like this show. The entire gray to red thing wasn't as exciting as everyone made it out to be. SCV's tunnel is still way more "Ooo and Ahh" inducing than what Boston did; and that was way back in '85 and '86. :thumbup:

Blue Knights - Boring. A return to body work for the sake of body work, silly corps proper skipping and flailing about, looking like the early '90s Glassmen. The voice effects overwhelmed the music.

Spirit - Should have been beat by the Blue Stars. A yawner of a show. For a corps that's trying to include a touch of the old Spirit, they are missing the boat. If they really want to grab the crowd while playing something classic; they should play thier '83 opener "Brothers of Bop." I'd welcome that back in a heartbeat from Spirit!

Blue Stars - 99.9% awesome! Best uniforms! Great show; classic in styling and, yet, fresh and new. Very exciting. The flags need a lot of attention. The gap between them and the corps below them has widened. They should and deserve to be ahead of Spirit and very, very close to the Boston Crusaders.

Crossmen - This show reminded me of thier '06 production. It's a jumbled mish mash of tunes. I'm all for a great variety of different music; but the theme just isn't putting them all together. Jazz it up, next year, Crossmen!

Troopers - Welcome back! I would have liked to see them with the navy blue jacket they were considering; pretty cool, uniform, however. This show brought back memories of the '80s Troopers.

As one who believe in looking for the positive in every situation...

I'm glad you liked the Blue Stars.

SCV- Talented corps. Awesome uniforms! The '89 Cadets still can't be surpassed in the Les Mis department. :thumbup:/>

Phantom Regiment - A field of lack luster Storm Troopers. :laugh:/> Very boring show.

Boston Crusaders - I really, really wanted to like this show. The entire gray to red thing wasn't as exciting as everyone made it out to be. SCV's tunnel is still way more "Ooo and Ahh" inducing than what Boston did; and that was way back in '85 and '86. :thumbup:/>

Lol, you love your BS..

• Like 3

At one point BD had 7 members out due to injuries.

Last night I saw a number of holes still. Does anyone know how many are still out?

The poles must be heavy.

One show isn't quick, and one 5th place M.A. score isn't "keep getting dumped". We'll see.

You're absolutely correct. For some reason, I thought they had a low music analysis score at TOC but just looked at those recaps. That show I thought the spreads were more accurate than last night. Guard and MA score just so out of line.

Guys, the specific numbers are meaningless. They're affected by the show order, the number of corps, the judges' familiarity with the shows, and so much more. You can't compare scores between any two shows, and even spreads are meaningless, because judges have to leave room for themselves to fit later corps in between earlier ones. So if the third to last corps that goes on does well, and the second-to-last corps does just barely better, you still have to give a two-tenths bump so that the last corps can fit in between if necessary. Multiply across 10 judges and there's a lot of numbers management going on.

You'll notice in almost every case that BD came in 2nd to Crown in a subcaption that they are 0.1 below and whoever got 3rd was 0.2 below Crown. BD went on last but with so many corps and a maximum reasonable score to give out, the judges put Crown 0.2 ahead of whomever the previous top scorer was and then BD came on and they slid them into the gap they'd left. There's no room for these judges to be assigning objective numbers. It's just not possible.

Makes sense to me, anyway. I can think of the reasons why judges SHOULDN'T be allowed to do some adjustments after all corps are finished...at the same time, I can see some good things about that, too. I've judged at the high school level and have wished I could go back and adjust.

Wow interesting night. Carlson and Neibauer did not se eye to eye. I really thing Carlson had Boston in the right place! Do not understand how Boston is doing so well, that show has major issues, kinda like watching BD put there jackets on last year watching them take off the grey and have the red on did not work! Terrible transitions, these designers know better, but the adjudicators should be telling them that through a score as well. I hope that DCI changes the slate for SA. Would luv to someone other than Lentz on the slate!

• Like 1