Delightful Dekalb

I'm thinking copyright-strike is using the term "anchor" as holding back. I think I saw someone post something similar on another thread.

Ah. Thank you for that.

In that case, yes, the drumline is a weakspot this year, and by no means is the hornline of Carolina Crown holding the corps back. tongue.gif

Edited by g00fyg00ber

Is it possible the order of performance had something to do with placements as well?

Honestly, no. Their hornline has been setting the activity on fire for the past few years and IMO, the drumline has been a weakness for them. They've gotten a lot of credit just being in the top 6 and Im not sure if tonight's score is indicative of where they have been or where they are going.

I seem to recall a certain Crown drumline finishing second one year.

That's a huge gap in percussion. That is an anomaly. .....and yet they still tied.

Well look at last night Cadets Guard and music analysis score. Also considered an anomaly.

• Like 2

I'm relatively new to Dci. Is Crowns percussion usually their anchor?

Anchor as holding back, yes unfortunately they have been the last few years. Some may effectively argue that may have cost Crown their 1st championship.

It's great to see the Cadets closer to where I think they belong (I'd have them firmly in 2nd as of now, with Crown no. 1 -- overall standings that is, BD at 3, SCV at 4).

Having said that, I am not sure what to make of the judging at these TOC shows. These judges have the Cavaliers only .75 off of Bluecoats, yet when they met in Minn. with all the corps BLOOO beat them by almost 3 points. This is nothing against the Cavaliers, but it suggests that either these corps are performing at very inconsistent levels (which I find odd at this point in the season) or that the judging criteria might be different for TOC vs. DCI.

As for the Cadets, they are, in many ways, the cleaner corps over both BD and Crown. Not sure if that is good or bad, but with a show that has lots of room for growth I don't think it hurts. However, I still see Crown as the overall better show and corps, but I see Cadets a close 2nd come Finals...UNLESS we see some magic from SCV. To me that is the DARKHORSE show. If they don't clean then I like it Crown and Cadets. I always think BD is fabulous, but this doesn't feel like a top 2 show, and maybe not top 3.

I do know that the Bluecoats put in a lot of changes for 3 days prior to Minnesota, so their performance levels might be off and on by the day, but I just do not see the Cavaliers anywhere in the ball park with Bloo. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I think the judges get too caught up in show dynamics with the TOC events and just won't place all the corps with the proper spreads as needed. Tonight you saw a few judges try to really judge the show and relate the value of the tenth and thats why so much flopping in percussion scores, among others. Heck, maybe they are told to keep the G7 close from top to bottom for political reasons. who knows?.. :smile: Bottom line is the Cavies should be a clear 2-3 points back of this entire pack and it will be clear again once the corps get to SA this weekend. Im thinking both Boston and BK may have a chance to catch them soon.

The top 3 should be close. They are all exceptional in what they do.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a certain Crown drumline finishing second one year.

Correct, one year... But when you are beginning to win every other caption, 4-5 place most years in drums is not good enough. Its not good enough for BD or Cadets and if Crown wants to be a perennial contender, its not going to be good enough for them either. Guard has been perennially great, brass are in the Ott Trophy hunt every year now, GE and Visual is getting there. Its time for the percussion program to take the next step. Its the only missing piece for a possible multiple championship run in the next few years.

Look at BD and what happened when Todd Ryan arrived early 90's...

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 3