What do you think is wrong with Drum Corps today (if anything)?

What do you think is wrong with Drum Corps today (if anything)?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is wrong with Drum Corps today if anything? (can choose multiple answers)

• Show design (entertainment factor)
    • Bb horns
    • Electronics (voice, synth, sampling)
    • Direction of uniform designs
    • Overdone body movement / dancing
    • Nothing.. I love how DCI has evolved
    • Other (pls comment)
  2. 2. Is it time for DCI to start a new class? If so, what?

• Class where anything goes (any instrumentation, # of members, etc.)
    • Class that is more traditional (classic) no electronics but still use Bb horns
    • Heck no...why change a good thing?
    • Other (pls comment)

If you ever decide to sit down and suffer through a few shows, then you can see that there are some bands whose musicianship can equal that of many corps in World Class (and some that dare I say, surpass...). Watch bands such as James Bowie (especially 2011), Marcus, Avon (some years), Carmel, The Woodlands, etc. These are some of the best playing bands in the nation (and yes, I am including our precious Drum and Bugle Corps in this category as they technically are considered bands).[/size]

OK, I watched that one. There is much to enjoy. There are also extensive passages where solo or small ensemble passages are miked, and I want less of that in drum corps, not more. To amplify upon what I say in my signature: part of the glory of drum corps is overcoming the challenge of creating a big beautiful sound in a large space (preferably outdoors). Running the sound through a microphone reduces that challenge, just as would happen if a trampoline were put at the base of the high jump, thus rendering the achievement less impressive. Sure a high jumper with a trampoline would clear a much higher bar than one without, but so what?

Electronics and the changes in show design they are enabling are the major problem these days. Every year since 2009, I go to shows, and talk to the folks around me, and some have been around for ages, some have never been to shows before, and some know "drum corps" is something they like but don't really know any particular corps or their history. No one has ever had anything positive to say about the synth usage*, and most people are just confused and annoyed by vocals. But everyone loves cool drum features, awesome brass lines, big visual impacts, incredible challenging drill, and awesome guard tosses.

So why put on shows that make people in the audience go "huh?" and "why?" when you already had an amazing product that people love? All the synth has brought to DCI is to water down that awesome product that the activity excels at with some gadgetry that costs a lot of money, annoys the audience, and that honestly they don't use well at all. Focus on what you're good at, at what makes you unique, and you'll go far.

* The one exception is Crown 2011, when Nick Starr pulled off some truly virtuosic piano playing comparably impressive and straightforward to the performances of traditional percussion and brass. It was everything that sampled singing, movie quote samples, string pads, gooey bass, and theremin patches are NOT. And Crown didn't use it to give the brass a break from playing, which is what a lot of synth ends up being used for these days.

Wonderful post.

I will preface this by stating that I marched in the 70's and taught in the 80's. There.

As my predecessors complained about the advent of piston/rotor horns and plastic drum heads, this debate will go on forever. If I had a short list of things I'd like to change...

I'd like to move away from the WGI influence. I've seen all the body movements and drum line posing possible.

Please stage your drum corps show on the scale of a football stadium, not a basketball court.

Too much makeup.

Running with a drum is unnatural, and dangerous. I know people who have lingering pain from carrying them up and down the 50. I don;t want to think what the current generation will deal with in their middle and senior years.

I don't care how many rotations you can throw with your rifle or saber if you can't catch it...in place. Maybe reinstate pentalties for drops. Grounding would still be cool.

We were told that the introduction of amplification would allow corps to use fewer keyboards. When will that happen?

Thunderous goo. Just stop. You have a whole section to play the contrabass voice. Use them, don't insult them.

Electronic instruments. It's drum and bugle corps. They're unnecessary. Get creative, not lazy.

Anyway...

Garry in Vegas

• Like 4

Synths are incredibly effective and add a multitude of different colors. They had a lot to a shows Music Effect and I'm very glad that DCI had added them. Those that have utilized Sythns effectively have elevated the level of the their Performance/Show into a more dynamic art-form and production. Used effectively, the synth elevates the professionalism of these ensembles with the amount of design and precision that goes into creating the exact sonic environment desired.

People here seem to care only about synth bass and voice overs but that's only a fraction of the kind of the effects being used by synths. There are many sounds, patches and effects that go unnoticed but if were not there would diminish the entire aesthetic quality of the show in a dramatic way.

It's funny how people also seem to think that Designers use the synth as a crutch but if you were to speak to the Front Ensemble Arrangers in all the DCI corps Im sure they would refute that point. The synth allows designers to be even more creative in their designs. Acoustic does not always mean more creative and I don't know why this idea is so strongly felt here...

Synths are here to stay and I'm glad :)

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Synths are incredibly effective and add a multitude of different colors. They had a lot to a shows Music Effect and I'm very glad that DCI had added them. Those that have utilized Sythns effectively have elevated the level of the their Performance/Show into a more dynamic art-form and production. Used effectively, the synth elevates the professionalism of these ensembles with the amount of design and precision that goes into creating the exact sonic environment desired.

People here seem to care only about synth bass and voice overs but that's only a fraction of the kind of the effects being used by synths. There are many sounds, patches and effects that go unnoticed but if were not there would diminish the entire aesthetic quality of the show in a dramatic way.

It's funny how people also seem to think that Designers use the synth as a crutch but if you were to speak to the Front Ensemble Arrangers in all the DCI corps Im sure they would refute that point. The synth allows designers to be even more creative in their designs. Acoustic does not always mean more creative and I don't know why this idea is so strongly felt here...

Synths are here to stay and I'm glad :)

The problem I have is that I haven't heard any used effectively. They are generally overbalanced, covering the brass or augmenting things that need no augmentation. (Bass brass voices?) I fail to see what's so "creative" about sampling, or buying, a patch?

I was watching "DVD on TV" on Fx yesterday. They were showing the foley guys recording the sounds for Kung Fu Panda. They didn't synthesize the sounds. They used water for water sounds, sticks striking sticks for battle sequences, walking on different surfaces for walking sounds. That's being creative. Patch use is lazy.

Want to hear a really creative way to make a sound effect?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 4

I can't answer the question about whether I'd feel different if my kid were in a corps, as it'll never happen. I suspect I'd enjoy what his corps was playing, but would have a totally different feeling than I do for a corps in general, even my alma mater, the Cavaliers.

Speaking from experience, I walked away for about 10 years when shows and my life went thru changes. After the first year missing it over the Summer I just found other things to take up my time and didn't much think about it. Only came back because of a bunch of co-incidences. This included playing around with a new Internet connection and trying words in a newsgroup search and a guy carrying a 3 valve Bari who invited me to join.

Point is, it was a lot less painful than I thought. Even when I found out my old corps won Championships.... a lot later.... :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That is not what they do. They enhance the sound of the corps, not cover it up.

have you ever been to a show where you have a big nice chord...and then you feel the ground shake or hear way more of the synth than the low brass.... another example a lot of the cd's and mp3 recordings of the shows since the introduction of synth...I HATE this in my car especially when I have to turn down loud sections because of the unreal low and loud synth (aka fake tuba) coming out

Edited by dcibrando

1. Eliminate judge meetings in which corps explain their shows. 1a. Ban all communication between corps staff and judges during a season. 1b. Allow corps to submit a design document - two pages maximum - explaining their show. This is published to the web for the judges and interested fans.

Better yet, eliminate 1b.

We already have the printed program, the spiel the corps gives to the PA announcer to read off at ordinary shows, and the option of playing a pre-recorded show explanation over the corps pit speakers during the pre-show (and narrating during the show). Not to mention that corps can extol the virtues of their design symbolism all over the Internet, and hand out librettos to those spectators too old school to have done the required research there. If after all that, it should still be necessary for more time to be dedicated to explaining shows to judges, then the show design is overreaching.

Judges should experience shows in the same way that fans do. If they did, the effects of show design would work for everyone, instead of being targeted for judges at the expense of fans.

• Like 1