As I posted in the other thread (which was ignored...)

Weren't the Cadets told that they would have access to certain stadiums and facilities?....an incentive that was later pulled because of an error on the part of the district? If so, then it is indeed their fault. Was it handled by Hopkins in an extremely clumsy and insensitive way? absolutely, but lets not go making up additional transgressions to nail above the cross. For instence (just from this post alone)...what does 'someone lower down the rankings' have to do with it???

even if true, which I don't know...as it seems rather one sided

That is not how you handle the situation nor does it justify his words

It’s grossly unprofessional

It’s bad management and poor leadership

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I march in Garfield at that time. I thought the kids that joined the corps at that time were from Louisiana. I thought they came up with Manny ( the drum major at that time) and those guys.

While there might have been some other marchers from southern states that came to the Garfield Cadets then, it was primarily marchers from the Univ. of Mississippi Marching Band that GH visited and who subsequently came north to join his Corps after his appeal to them when he went down to them and visited them there in Mississippi.

Typical Hopkins...Why people still worship and defend this guy over and over again is truly amazing. His type has a definition, it’s called elitism and arrogance. George Hopkins, what a piece of work!...He’s the train wreck that just keeps giving. Bravo George! It would be a wonderful day if the beautiful people of the South were to bring a measure of humility to George Hopkins life. But, the fact is that most folks in the South are simply too nice and accommodating and won’t waste their time on a sub-species like George. Shame George…Shame.

• Like 2

even if true, which I don't know...as it seems rather one sided

That is not how you handle the situation nor does it justify his words

It’s grossly unprofessional

It’s bad management and poor leadership

Well, i made it pretty clear that I agreed with the other parts...more or less. Though not for many of the made up reasons that folks here and in the 'media' were pushing

• Like 1

It’s clear from reading the Cadets thread and this thread that most of you fail to understand the issue or what George ‘Paula Dean’ Hopkins just said and many of you are furthering it yourself, more so in that other thread. So Please stop

Hoppy just expressed anti-south bigotry. He also stated that he acted on it in the past and suggests he will do so again in the future

The school is not the issue, saying the school is systematic of The South or to be expected because it’s The South is the problem

Do you think if he had a problem with a school in Minnesota he say ‘this is why we avoid the Great Lake States’

Anti-south bigotry is pretty common and somewhat accepted by many but in no way do the problems with this school have anything to do with ‘The South”

This isn’t just another misstep; it’s an unapologetic confession of his personal bigotry and how it has effected the Cadets and the region by them avoiding The South”

What do you think he just taught the Cadets about The South with that post?

Here's a lesson for them...there is a greater implication with The South than south

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 7

It’s clear from reading the Cadets thread and this thread that most of you fail to understand the issue or what George ‘Paula Dean’ Hopkins just said and many of you are furthering it yourself, more so in that other thread. So Please stop

Hoppy just expressed anti-south bigotry. He also stated that he acted on it in the past and suggests he will do so again in the future

The school is not the issue, saying the school is systematic of The South or to be expected because it’s The South is the problem

Do you think if he had a problem with a school in Minnesota he say ‘this is why we avoid the Great Lake States’

Anti-south bigotry is pretty common and somewhat accepted by many but in no way do the problems with this school have anything to do with ‘The South”

This isn’t just another misstep; it’s an unapologetic confession of his personal bigotry and how it has effected the Cadets and the region by them avoiding The South”

What do you think he just taught the Cadets about The South with that post?

Here's a lesson for them...there is a greater implication with The South than south

The irony in using Paula Deen as a comparison for ANTI-south bigotry is so delicious that its...well, fattening.

• Like 5

DCP moderators showing a bias against the Cadets. Typically, new threads discussing topics already being discussed in other threads are automatically closed. This topic has already reached the level of absurdity in another thread. This should have been closed already! Not the first time Cadets have received this treatment on DCP. Double standards are everywhere these days!

This is so unfair on so many levels. I suggest you post some evidence beyond your own, obviously biased, observations that moderators' actions in the past have constituted bias towards anything.

It's just your opinion, and that doesn't make it true.

Otherwise...

I didn't finish the other thread, and I'm glad this one was started. I'm also glad it's been allowed to stay. The entirety of the activity is affected by the actions of each participant. It's affected positively by the performances of the kids in his corps, by his staff, tech's, designers, and writers. It's affected negatively by his lack of discretion and, possibly, endangering these schools participation in DCI by affecting the decisions of other corps.

I get his point. I've dealt with his, and other, demanding personalities in providing for their kids. His intentions weren't terrible, his mouth was.

I really appreciated DCI's post and position, not being sucked into the goo with him. Ironically, I can see, and justify, Sue giving those schools extra love next year in booking corps for their shows.

Here's the irony: DCI has a strict policy about local show hosts contacting drum corps to invite them to shows. That job is done by DCI, and I greatly suspect that they completely and properly vetted the school to verify that what they have is what corps need. I can't imagine that Hop negotiated directly with the hosts to arrange the use of the stadium, although it's possible.

The point is that if he's ticked with anyone he should take it up with DCI. His disappointment that prompts him to ask for help should be directed at DCI, and not spread on FB. In his apology he stated that he was getting help on the phone, so what was the point of the FB post in the first place?

• Like 5

It’s clear from reading the Cadets thread and this thread that most of you fail to understand the issue or what George ‘Paula Dean’ Hopkins just said and many of you are furthering it yourself

I'm glad you brought up Paula Dean - just as silly "outrage" in that case / poor women is ruined and others (edited - political) get a pass on saying things much worse based on who they are... Same goes for Hopkins - lots of folks in this thread and the other claiming "offense" who never have a nice thing to say about Cadets and/or Hopkins. Let's face it - there's a lot more at play than a few poorly chosen words on a fb post.

Edited by bawker
  • Like 1

I'm glad you brought up Paula Dean - just as silly "outrage" in that case / poor women is ruined and others (think libs) get a pass on saying things much worse based on who they are... Same goes for Hopkins - lots of folks in this thread and the other claiming "offense" who never have a nice thing to say about Cadets and/or Hopkins. Let's face it - there's a lot more at play than a few poorly chosen words on a fb post.

Oh, I don't take offense, I'm more concerned about those show hosts and band kids not being supported as part of the DCI tour system, and the impression those band kids and parents have of the activity that I wear on my sleeve. We're supposed to be attracting fans and participants, not insulting whole geographic regions of them.

I think it was Cowtown who said it well: This, from the guy who won't be a part of any organization in which he's not the leader.

I'm not offended. I'm scared for the future of the activity.

• Like 2