How low could Crown go?

Well, theoretically, 22nd I suppose. You did say "could" after all...

But if that happens it will be the biggest 'peaked too early' in the history of drum corps.

Cavaliers peaked pretty early in 2011 too, didn't they? I remember them going undefeated for a while at the beginning of the season.

How does this relate to the title of thread? Crown doesn't own GE Music. Skywhopper said "Vanguard's biggest weakness appears to be their GE scores." I only aim to educate. GE is actually SCV's strength, if not yet fully realized or recognized. The parts are there [per the SHEETS], and some choose not to see them.

GE may be SCV's strength (I agree with your assessment of their GE as it relates to the sheets). But the scores they are receiving represent their biggest weakness. They are consistently 3-4 in all the non-GE captions, with percussion being their strength. If they can find a way to raise their GE scores they will be very dangerous to the current top 3. Since I disagree with the judges about their GE placement, I don't have any particular advice to offer, though.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

GE may be SCV's strength (I agree with your assessment of their GE as it relates to the sheets). But the scores they are receiving represent their biggest weakness. They are consistently 3-4 in all the non-GE captions, with percussion being their strength. If they can find a way to raise their GE scores they will be very dangerous to the current top 3. Since I disagree with the judges about their GE placement, I don't have any particular advice to offer, though.

You're already on your way to pure enlightenment.

• Like 1

To bring together a few ideas from other threads, especially RE: GE Music, the very first item on the sheet is AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT. This was one of two major shifts in the sheets during the 2011 TOC experiments. (The other being the fact that the sheets OPENLY state "...compared to your competitors," thus opening the floodgates to discussing your competitors during critique. That's for another thread.)

Audience Engagement is on BOTH SIDES of the sheet (Rep and Performers [not performance]). The sheets can be viewed here: 2012 Judging

If you really think through the items on the GE Music sheet, SCV has a legit shot at #1 in that caption. They're certainly #1 in Audience Engagement.

Focusing on the left side (repertoire effect):

For Audio and Vis coordination, SCV has *always* been at the top in that dept, even through their darkest years. It's part of SCV Class!

Interpretation? Seriously, What The Heck does that mean? So the judge is asked to interpret the membership's interpretation of the staff's interpretation of the designers' interpretations of the source? LOL, trust me, they try! IMO, this is the vast wasteland of the GE Music sheet where judges find a lot of their wiggle room.

Variety of Effects. Who's beating SCV here? C'mon, really. Playing a chromatic scale is one of the easiest things to do. Multiple tonguing...good stuff there, love it! But ya know what's REALLY difficult to do? PLAY A LONG PHRASE, and keep it interesting throughout, and have every single voice heard no matter the drill set/move! How can a musical ensemble be declared "effective" if you can't even hear the tubas at ALL TIMES? How can a musical group be declared "effective" when only one sonority is heard for the entire 11 minutes? SCV has the most variety of effects and color, hands down. (Sorry, I haven't seen anyone else, except Blue Knights) SCV's show is written as a "Concerto for Drum Corps," with every group featured with sonority (tuba harmony?) AND notes! (h/t to Doug Thrower!)

Creativity, Originality and Artistry. How is this different from Interpretation, as far as subjectivity goes? Infinite wiggle room here. All of the top tier (and I suspect lower too) are very creative and original. This is the essence of drum corps. SCV is sheer artistry in motion...they couldn't do it any other way, with such recognizable music, and a precedent set by Cadets!

How does this relate to the title of thread? Crown doesn't own GE Music. Skywhopper said "Vanguard's biggest weakness appears to be their GE scores." I only aim to educate. GE is actually SCV's strength, if not yet fully realized or recognized. The parts are there [per the SHEETS], and some choose not to see them.

However it is worded, I have always assumed that execution, quality, demand and so forth still end up being a big part of GE, just viewed through a different perspective.

If this were not the case, it seems like you could see an otherwise 20th place corps near the top in GE, and vice versa, and you never see that.

Why are people making crown out to be dropping!?! They were .25 behind bd who have made some major changes to music and drill over the past couple weeks. Crown has changed bare minimum and are keeping par with their group! Lets not call then out of the race for barely losing at two shows.

• Like 3

Why are people making crown out to be dropping!?! They were .25 behind bd who have made some major changes to music and drill over the past couple weeks. Crown has changed bare minimum and are keeping par with their group! Lets not call then out of the race for barely losing at two shows.

It's not the scores I'm using to create my opinion, it's the performances and performance potential of the current top 4 corps. Even before scores were announced last night I felt better about SCV, BD, and Cadets than how I felt about Crown.

Edited by Allegro89
  • Like 2

It's not the scores I'm using to create my opinion, it's the performances and performance potential of the current top 4 corps. Even before scores were announced last night I felt better about SCV, BD, and Cadets than how I felt about Crown.

Agreed. The corps around them have become much more impressive.

I thought Crown had a really bad night last night. They seemed to have problems they don't normally have. If that is the case then it is not about peaking but about having a bad night.

That said, I still think it could easily go any one of 3 ways, plus SCV as a dark horse.

With so many corps in contention, you can have the best chance among them and still be more likely to lose than win. For example, if once considers the chances to be CC-35%, BD-30%, CD-25%, SC-10%, that would still only leave them with about a 1 in 3 chance of winning, even being the best chance among the corps.

Well, I guess since Creativity and Originality are part of the GE sheets, this must be where BD is getting all of their points these past few years....