Your favorite Drum Corps screw up!

When Garfield's horn line started going down at the end of the show, BD members who were in the end zone began cheering. Nice touch.

We were out of uniform and in the stands......how could we be in the end-zone....I don't think that place had one...did it?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a major drill change being taught that day, and many of our out-of-towners didn't arrive until later in the day. So guard members were assigned to march their spots, learn the change and then teach it to the horn line member once they got there.

Hey Sue,

I remember that. Wasn't it at Firth Brown? Those were pretty good drum corps days though.

Mark

Firth Brown sounds right. (I have an awful time remembering names.) We practiced in the field behind an industrial plant of some sort. Except for '80. I can't remember where we practiced that year, just that it was on a concrete parking lot.

The particular rehearsal I was referring to, where guard members temporarily marched horn spots, happened in '78. I don't know if you remember this, but that happened on a more permanent basis--first tour, anyway--in '80. We didn't have a guard first tour because we were all marching horn spots. Then the drill got downsized for second tour so that we could put the guard back in. That was an interesting year. :)

You're right. Those were good times. Not competitively, and that was a heartbreaking thing for the corps to go through. Very tough on the pride of all the old-timers, especially. But the corps was full of good people, and we had a lot of fun together.

When Garfield's horn line started going down at the end of the show, BD members who were in the end zone began cheering. Nice touch.

We were out of uniform and in the stands......how could we be in the end-zone....I don't think that place had one...did it?

It didn't have much of an endzone at DCI Midwest because of the hill that was at the end of the stadium. And I don't remember many shows at all that allowed other corps to stand at the endzone while another corps was on the field. And, didn't the fall happen in 83, at the end of the Cadet's Rockypoint Holiday re-entry (the z pull) during prelims? Not during their 84 finals show.

And, didn't the fall happen in 83, at the end of the Cadet's Rockypoint Holiday re-entry (the z pull) during prelims? Not during their 84 finals show.

Nope, it was '84.

And, didn't the fall happen in 83, at the end of the Cadet's Rockypoint Holiday re-entry (the z pull) during prelims? Not during their 84 finals show.

Nope, it was '84.

Hmmm, I have this vision of standing on the ramp before heading down into the pit that was whitewater. As were waiting to go on the Cadets are starting to do their z pull, and then the crowd starts going crazy as cadets start going down on the crowds right side.

I must be combining some memories.

The wreck happened at Whitewater FINALS in 84 -- not prelims. Prelims was our best show of the year.

It WAS the Z-pull...but the 84 version..

Juat remember, Jer...you were wearing blue when it happened...not red...

You see, I keep thinking I was wearing Green and red when it happened. I must be thinking back to prelims 83 when we came on after the Cadets (or as we said then Garfield). I guess those things happen when you get older. :)

Wait a minute was I wearing blue when we stood along the wall at Denver? Oh, wait that was red and green standing behind us then.

Edited by jbl

I don't know if I would call it my favorite, but 1976 Commodores, somewhere on tour, the Drum Major (who shall remain nameless) starts our concert number without first bringing the horns up. :lol: So, you have drums playing, guard working, but no horns playing. Our mortified Drum Major, :sshh: (after taking a moment to slump into a pose with his thumb and forefinger on the bridge of his nose) brings our horns up somewhere during the intro and one of our staff members (Earl Brown) tries to signal us from the sidelines to start playing at letter B. Some of us get the signal, and within four counts we be jammin as if nothing ever happened b**bs !

I'll never forget our horn instructor, the late great Jim Ott, throwing down his jacket in disgust and storming out of the stands. It's kinda funny now but it wasn't at the time.

Edited by Russellrks