Your favorite Drum Corps screw up!

That rookie was me, and after all these years I just want to say:

Thanks Dan, I remember it to this day. I will always hold you in high regard for that! :lol:

Wow, what a terrific tribute! I hope Dan is reading this thread and can see how he turned what could've been a dismal summer for you into a wonderful memory! :lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, that aspect of drum corps is SO much more important than shows, scores, etc. B)

That experience, more than any other musical experience in my life, has shaped the way that I teach young people to play and grow as musicians, especially if they have had a tough time in a live performance of some type.

I've been there, and it does "suck to be that guy".

Speaking as one who was there...no we didn't.

CrGCContra...I loved the 84 Xmen show...jst thought I'd tell ya!

I concur Sammy!...Certainly don't remember cheering for Garfields misfortune. As competitive as we were that year with SCV and Garfield, I loved their shows.

Edit:...Hmmmm....Moxley giving us a once over almost rings a bell, but I still don't remember laughter. It's possible I suppose, but may have been a few members who no doubt got a quick STFU look from the rest of us.

Edited by skluyuk

I concur Sammy!...Certainly don't remember cheering for Garfields misfortune. As competitive as we were that year with SCV and Garfield, I loved their shows.

I thought it was more shock at it happening than anything else.

Edit:...Hmmmm....Moxley giving us a once over almost rings a bell, but I still don't remember laughter. It's possible I suppose, but may have been a few members who no doubt got a quick STFU look from the rest of us.

Wasn't the once over more for what had happened earlier in the day when the hornline started barking at Garfield's guard?

Hawthorn NJ show early '83 season. We (Garfield) were in our opening set ready to step off when we were counted in without having our horns up. During the count in we began shouting down the bari line "don't go, don't go". This was all fine for us execpt for the fact that the drum line, side 1 horns and colour guard started and left us standing there watching the show. The next instruction given was "go, go!" and we began running in order to catch up. This was no easy task considering that our OTL was Rocky Point. We were probably at our third set before we actually started playing.

I actually felt pity for our DM when, after coming off the field, the entire corps assembled in a tight circle with him in the middle. The silence was deafening.

MARK BISHOP!!!! How the #### are you????

I was at the Hawthorne show that day....disastrous.

How about the guy in the 1975 Muchachos who presented his overage ID after their prelims performance....his was carrying his wallet on him when the members had been instructed against doing just that...... :wub:

Anyone remember Phantom in 81, 82, or 83 Whitewater? (Sorry I can’t remember, I was young and was too interested in the bus rides to pay attention to anything.) b**bs

A contra was backing up between some tenor drums and had to do a spin. Caught the drum and fell. As he was going down, he launched his horn straight into the air. The funniest and scariest thing I have ever seen. That horn must have gone 10 feet into the air. He got back up and continued the rest of the show!

YEA! TIME FOR REGIMENT CONTRA STORIES!!!

First, a little background. If you remember, Carnivale of the Animals had a full-out Contra feature (The Elephant). Originally, Brazale allowed us to get to our feature spot anyway we wanted. My dear co-section leader Ron Emmert decides to do this running leap, twist 720o clockwise, and land on one foot. And he freaking nails it. This goes on for three shows during Regiment's Illustious World Tour of Iowa.

Then came Dubuque.

The ground was fairly slick. During the opener of Organ Symphony, we were required to do this fast snap turn. We do it. And then out of slow motion, I saw this pith helmit crash, then a contra bouncing against the wet turf, followed by a cursing Chris Jackson who remarkably bounces back up.

Near the end of the opener, we had some moves that really flew. Down went contra #2 - poor Reuben Pasqueni. Not even his plaid sports jacket could protect him from falling. As he was struggling to get back up, WHAP! One of our sop players ran into Reuben and went flying.

And then we get to our feature.

In spite of what has happened, Ron chances it. He flings himself into the air, is spinning, and is a Greek God.

And then ...slip... he does a beautiful flip right on his butt.

The only thing I could think of...better them than me.

Anyone remember 88 suncoast when they still had the single rifle toss of about 80yrds? at one show the person (can't remember if it was a guy or girl) missed the catch and the rifle cracked him/her in the head and knocked him/her out and there was a bit of blood from the gash too.

they pulled that toss out of the show after that i believe.

man that must have hurt :(

The toss is still there. You can see it on the video.

Hawthorn NJ show early '83 season. We (Garfield) were in our opening set ready to step off when we were counted in without having our horns up. During the count in we began shouting down the bari line "don't go, don't go". This was all fine for us execpt for the fact that the drum line, side 1 horns and colour guard started and left us standing there watching the show. The next instruction given was "go, go!" and we began running in order to catch up. This was no easy task considering that our OTL was Rocky Point. We were probably at our third set before we actually started playing.

I actually felt pity for our DM when, after coming off the field, the entire corps assembled in a tight circle with him in the middle. The silence was deafening.

I feel your pain. In 1986 Sky Ryders, we had something similar happen at our home show in Hutchinson. We were at dress center. The DM was suppose to give us a ready front, there was a 4 count turn to face front, then a horns up to the box and we'd be ready to go. The DM forgot to give us the ready front and started the show. A lot of us were yelling not to start, because a good portion of the horn line was facing back field. A lot of people started anyway, so there was some commotion as the rest of us scurried to get into our place in the drill and get into the show. The overall show was a disaster that night. In our final run through before Semi-Finals, he did it again and was practially lynched. Fortunately, it never happened again in a show.

I feel your pain. In 1986 Sky Ryders, we had something similar happen at our home show in Hutchinson. We were at dress center. The DM was suppose to give us a ready front, there was a 4 count turn to face front, then a horns up to the box and we'd be ready to go. The DM forgot to give us the ready front and started the show. A lot of us were yelling not to start, because a good portion of the horn line was facing back field. A lot of people started anyway, so there was some commotion as the rest of us scurried to get into our place in the drill and get into the show. The overall show was a disaster that night. In our final run through before Semi-Finals, he did it again and was practially lynched. Fortunately, it never happened again in a show.

Same thing almost happened to Dream at DCA prelims this year....we're at parade rest...no call to attention...count off starts.

Guard captain beat me to the "Corps ten-HUT!" call just in time for the first move....OY!