Your favorite Drum Corps screw up!

I realize everyone is posting DCI "ticks," but DCA has had their fair share also. I remember a drum major from a competing corps that would drive his mace into the ground from on top of the podium. At one show, he drove it through his shoe also, just missing his toes. Same Major at another show, forgot their podium, so they borrowed one. What they did not realize, was the podium they borrowed was taller than the one he used. When he came running down the 50 to jump on top of the podium, he hit it with his hip and had to climb up like any other drum major. In both cases, the only thing that hurt was his pride. The funniest mistake I can remember, but unfortunately I can't remember the corps involved or the year. I think it was the Yankee Rebels but again, memory fails me, they were playing pinball wizard and the bass line had a uni shot at the end. For DCA finals, they brought them up front for GE since the drums were rigged to light when they hit them and there were letters on the inside of the drum spelling tilt. Unfortunately, the "L" did not light up when the drum was hit.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize everyone is posting DCI "ticks," but DCA has had their fair share also. I remember a drum major from a competing corps that would drive his mace into the ground from on top of the podium.

Has to be George Parks from the Bucs, right?

Aside from The Frack...'87 prelims...Bluecoats color guard does a rifle exchange at the end of "Autumn Leaves"...about 3 rifles get dropped and bounce across the field...right on camera!

did you happen to notice the one rifle that bounced up and hit the soprano soloist (steve) right in the head. you can see his helmet go crooked - but he didn't even crack the note, although you do hear it waver just a tad.

OK...I'm digging for my 87 video when I get home!!!

I don't recall if this was a finals show or a mid seasosn whitewater show but the famous or infamous; however you want to call it, Garfield fall,(Yes I called them Garfield, because they were then) in 85 I think. When they all fell down and got right back up, but the thing about it was, they got right back up in time and kept on going like it never happened. Anyone remember that one?

Oh my Lord, yes! The "Whitewater Wipeout"...1984 Whitewater finals!

Sop dude trippon the "Z Pull", fell back, had a buncha guys trip over his (at precice intervals, mind you...their intervals WERE good), then they finished the show AND GOT A PERFECT MARCHING SCORE!!!

S'okay...SCV won that night...

Edited by 84BDsop

Hawthorn NJ show early '83 season. We (Garfield) were in our opening set ready to step off when we were counted in without having our horns up. During the count in we began shouting down the bari line "don't go, don't go". This was all fine for us execpt for the fact that the drum line, side 1 horns and colour guard started and left us standing there watching the show. The next instruction given was "go, go!" and we began running in order to catch up. This was no easy task considering that our OTL was Rocky Point. We were probably at our third set before we actually started playing.

I actually felt pity for our DM when, after coming off the field, the entire corps assembled in a tight circle with him in the middle. The silence was deafening.

I realize everyone is posting DCI "ticks," but DCA has had their fair share also. I remember a drum major from a competing corps that would drive his mace into the ground from on top of the podium. At one show, he drove it through his shoe also, just missing his toes. Same Major at another show, forgot their podium, so they borrowed one. What they did not realize, was the podium they borrowed was taller than the one he used. When he came running down the 50 to jump on top of the podium, he hit it with his hip and had to climb up like any other drum major. In both cases, the only thing that hurt was his pride. The funniest mistake I can remember, but unfortunately I can't remember the corps involved or the year. I think it was the Yankee Rebels but again, memory fails me, they were playing pinball wizard and the bass line had a uni shot at the end. For DCA finals, they brought them up front for GE since the drums were rigged to light when they hit them and there were letters on the inside of the drum spelling tilt. Unfortunately, the "L" did not light up when the drum was hit.

Yes, that was the Yankee Rebels.

My screw up was at the indoor concert, The Dixie Stinger. 2 years ago while playing a solo with Archer Epler, I went up for the crescendo high note at the end of the solo and my shako fell off. We do not wear the chin straps at an indoor show so off it went when I tilted my head back. Everyone saw it and thought it was cute. I picked it up like nothing happened and went back into line. Of course, for the rest of the evening, I was reminded of it and everyone was disappointed when it didn't happen with the Yankee Rebels.

Hawthorn NJ show early '83 season. We (Garfield) were in our opening set ready to step off when we were counted in without having our horns up. During the count in we began shouting down the bari line "don't go, don't go". This was all fine for us execpt for the fact that the drum line, side 1 horns and colour guard started and left us standing there watching the show. The next instruction given was "go, go!" and we began running in order to catch up.

With all the intricate moves and changes made during every year...frankly I am AMAZED more stuff like this..and major COLLISIONS as well...dont happen more often. :fight:

IN FACT its trully amazing how little goes wrong in general in shows...at DCI I lost count of how many times (100s)a flag or rifle came within inches of a hornplayer(by design I am sure)........in the entire DCI weekend I didnt see so much as a mini-meltdown or even so much as a glaring mis-step. All at warp speed to boot!

:(

:music:

:wall:

:P

I have to go with the classic Garfield Cadets Z-Pull domino's at the `84 Midwestern Championships. I was standing on the back hill next to a bunch of Blue Devils

when the entire stadium went crazy as one-after-one, horn players went down. An absolutely amazing thing to see.

Garfield had a big drum screw-up during '85 finals (Candide I think), but it didn't cost 'em the championship.

???...point that out so I can hear it, if you would (goes to grab 85 tape)

At the opening of Candide, the drum major started his count, then stopped, then started again. Only half the corps could see him, the rest were going off vocal commands that had started, but didn't stop. So part of the Corps started the song on one beat, and the rest started on the next beat. Fortunately it kinda of went with the song, so few noticed (if you listen to the tape, there is supposed to be a single beat, then a double beat at the beginning of Candide), although there were a bunch of people out of step for the first couple of measures.